PDA

View Full Version : New to me No4Mk1

303carbine
11-11-2013, 10:15 PM
I just picked up a nice No4Mk1 tonight, it's a 1943 M47C that was FTR'd by (ROF) F in 1946, it has a Longbranch safety with the gun numbers matching. I'm not surprised by the mixing of parts because of the FTR on the rifle.
I got the spike bayo along with a handful of stripper clips and a proper web sling. The stock is nice dark walnut with the usual war dings on it, if it could only talk, I wonder what it would say. :}

Gunor
11-11-2013, 10:21 PM
If it could talk, it would say "shoot me".

Sorry....

303Guy
11-12-2013, 01:28 AM
I agree.;-)

But one does wonder what stories these old war vets would have to tell. I often wondered what stories my 1902 Long Tom had to tell or whether it was ever used in combat. Unfortunately it was 'sporterized' and the bore was heavily rusted so it's no longer a Long Tom.

You say it has a Longbranch safety - what does that mean? My Longbranch's safeties don't have any identification that I could see at a glance. (Those are sporterized too. :cry:)

303carbine
11-12-2013, 11:19 AM
I agree.;-)

But one does wonder what stories these old war vets would have to tell. I often wondered what stories my 1902 Long Tom had to tell or whether it was ever used in combat. Unfortunately it was 'sporterized' and the bore was heavily rusted so it's no longer a Long Tom.

You say it has a Longbranch safety - what does that mean? My Longbranch's safeties don't have any identification that I could see at a glance. (Those are sporterized too. :cry:)

The Longbranch safety looks different and also has a small LB stamp, some do, some don't.
Enfields are usually a bit of a mystery sometimes, that's a good thing. :}

303carbine
11-12-2013, 08:46 PM
I took the No4Mk1 apart last night to check it out, I found the stock was a bit loose at the king screw.
I placed a shim around the king screw and cinched it up with blue Loctite and let it set over night.
I also checked the large screw that holds the buttstock in place, it was loose a bit too, a quick tighten and off to the range today.
I changed out the 300-600 flip up sight for a micrometer type. The No4Mk1 was made in '43 and FTR'd back in '46. It has a Longbranch safety, a Savage marked mag and M47 on the left wrist of the buttsocket. It's definitely a hodge podge of parts, but they work together perfectly and I'm happy with the results of my range outing today.
The 150 Hornady's shot 1.5 inches at 55 yards, the 174 RN Hornady's shot a perfect one inch triangular group at the same distance.
My Krag brass that I had loaded for my No1Mk111 worked well in the No4Mk1 and were accurate at the same distance.