PDA

View Full Version : Hot plate for keeping molds hot.

Anyracoon
11-11-2013, 09:48 PM
When I cast bullets I like to cast with one mold than switch to another. Looking for recommendations on what to look for in a hot plate to keep molds ready, so I don't have to warm them up. Any brands or style that work well?

HeavyMetal
11-11-2013, 10:23 PM
Open coil design metal base if you can get it in the 1100 watt range.

Look at wal mart and big lots for the deal of the day but don't discount the thrift stores Goodwill and St. Vincent De Pauls a good source heck Goodwill is supposed to have web site you can brouse / buy off of

Next get a good piece of steel plate, 5/16 thick, is good size about 6 or 7 inches around ( cover the coil) put it on the hot plate like a skillet and turn the dial to just under Medium by the time your alloy is good the palte and mold will be ready to go as well, then procide to cast in rotation.

If you decide to buy a single cavity HP mold with removable pin a piece of round stock welded to said plate with a hole thats a slip fit fo your HP Pin will make casting HP's a dream!

tg32-20
11-11-2013, 10:55 PM
I have a cheap hotplate I got online from Walmart. It has a sold top and has worked very good for me. I set it on medium heat setting and it gets the molds up to about 350F.
I finally built a cover but I must admit it really does not make much of a difference. I do not cast in a cold climate, so maybe if it is cold out it would help.

Works great! And I think it is a must have for any caster. I stuck the mould into or on top of the pot for years, but this is so much easier. And if you want to switch to another mold, it is ready to go.

Tom

bangerjim
11-12-2013, 01:13 AM
I prefer the solid top style. Mine is a lab grade plate that has a dead flat aluminum top for excellent intimate heat transfer.

A hot plate is the ONLY way to warm the cockle's of your molds!!!!!!!

banger

el34
11-12-2013, 01:22 AM
Just a thought, the hotplate might help to cool down a too-hot mold. That'd make it pretty close to a mold temp regulator.

bangerjim
11-12-2013, 12:59 PM
Just a thought, the hotplate might help to cool down a too-hot mold. That'd make it pretty close to a mold temp regulator.

Best and fastest way to do that is a soaking wet rag. Just tap the bottom of the mold on it and be careful of the steam that rushes out! I do that all the time. Only takes a few seconds of contact to cool the thing down.

You could also lay it on a room temp thick steel FLAT plate and suck the heat out slowly, but the wet rag is much faster, cheaper, and everybody has old rags and water!!!!! :Bright idea:

banger

Wayne Smith
11-12-2013, 01:24 PM
If you know a woodworker an old 10" saw blade is a great cover for the coil hotplate.

OuchHot!
11-12-2013, 03:13 PM
When I went PID, I bought two and housed them in a box. One controls the pot, one controls the hotplate. The hotplate I use is the cheapest thing I could find and I put a 1/2" aluminum plate on it which I drilled for the thermocouple to the PID. I set it at 350 for brass molds.

Patrick L
11-13-2013, 11:54 AM
I got a cheap electric mini skillet from Big Lots last year for real cheap, like under $10. I saw the same skillet at Walmart this year for @$12. The bottom is about 6x6 inches. I used a dremel to slice one side away so the molds can sit flat with the handles attached (the unit is aluminum so it was easy.) If I get a chance I'll snap a picture later.

waco
11-13-2013, 08:55 PM
I grabbed an 8" 1/2" thick piece of mild steel to cover the coil on mine.

**oneshot**
11-13-2013, 09:24 PM
Kmart/Wallmart hotplate set just short of medium, 2 sawblades set to cover the center holes, and away you go. Keeps aluminum molds at a nice temp for casting.

williamwaco
11-13-2013, 09:50 PM
I have a cheap hotplate I got online from Walmart. It has a sold top and has worked very good for me. I set it on medium heat setting and it gets the molds up to about 350F.
I finally built a cover but I must admit it really does not make much of a difference. I do not cast in a cold climate, so maybe if it is cold out it would help.

Works great! And I think it is a must have for any caster. I stuck the mould into or on top of the pot for years, but this is so much easier. And if you want to switch to another mold, it is ready to go.

Tom

How do you determine the temperature of the mold block?

SWANEEDB
11-13-2013, 10:11 PM
87385Pic of my hot plate, ?'s, just ask. I just used a used skillet, cut out the end so the molds would lie flat, fill up the other part with my ingots for pre heating, if I left the lid on it is capable of 400 degrees or more, have used this setup now for several years, works great for me.

freebullet
11-13-2013, 10:27 PM
Thats a purty slick setup, thanks for sharing.

foesgth
11-13-2013, 10:34 PM
SWANEEDB, you are a genius. Why don't I ever think of things like this. Cutting mine tomorrow.

SWANEEDB
11-13-2013, 10:47 PM
There is a couple other upgrades in the pic, can you find them????

el34
11-13-2013, 10:57 PM
Best and fastest way to do that is a soaking wet rag. Just tap the bottom of the mold on it and be careful of the steam that rushes out! I do that all the time. Only takes a few seconds of contact to cool the thing down.

I started with the towel based on the youtube learnin' I did.

The flawed thought of laying a too-hot mold on the temp-regulated hotplate was to cool down the mold to a regulated temp. The mold would be the source of heat flowing into the plate, not its heating element. But it may take too long to be practical.

JeffG
11-15-2013, 10:48 PM
How do you determine the temperature of the mold block?

I measure mine with one of those pistol grip infrared thermometers that you can point it at something and squeeze the trigger. It does a pretty good job measuring molds. Actually, I think when I have my B&D hotplate on medium, I think my Lee mold was around 350 too.

bangerjim
11-15-2013, 10:56 PM
I measure mine with one of those pistol grip infrared thermometers that you can point it at something and squeeze the trigger. It does a pretty good job measuring molds. Actually, I think when I have my B&D hotplate on medium, I think my Lee mold was around 350 too.

B4 you rely on that handy dandy IR temp meter.......read this thread and weep!!!!!!!!!!!

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?218633-Mold-temperature

We been there......done that!

banger

Suo Gan
11-15-2013, 11:59 PM
The spruce plates converted to lee style.

auto corrected me to spruce...okay now I know why so many call them spruce plates, its auto correct.

Moonman
11-16-2013, 08:28 AM
I have an electronic unit from NOE, it has a hole drilled into the mould and a probe set screw secured there.

dikman
11-17-2013, 12:32 AM
A great piece of lateral thinking!:drinks: Pity I don't need one....

SWANEEDB
12-15-2013, 12:39 AM
BTTT, for the ones looking for a hot plate or do what I did.

dragon813gt
12-15-2013, 09:28 AM
Simple and effective.
http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa39/dragon813gt/TimeToMakeAmmo/E463A94C-15BA-4F4A-98FF-CB07E7074F2F-452-0000000FDC7A6FFF.jpg

I don't bother with mold temperature. The mold will tell me if it's to hot or cold. Just adjust your pace accordingly.

ubetcha
12-15-2013, 09:39 AM
There is a couple other upgrades in the pic, can you find them????

Yeah. I think I found one. You left the bucket of ice cream to close to the skillet. :bigsmyl2: