PDA

View Full Version : New to casting

fastfire
11-11-2013, 09:17 PM
So I have gathered here that comercial (hard cast) doesn't need to be that hard.
I have WW supply and about 400lbs soft lead.
What is a good hardness for 45acp and 9mm?

Thanks

bangerjim
11-11-2013, 09:25 PM
After starting to powder coat ALL my slugs months, I really do not worry about the hardness that much anymore. The PC acts to prevent leading, smoke, and other problems that have always existed with standard old fashioned greasy lubes and the wrong hardness.

I cast EVERYTHING at ~12 bhn........9/30/38/40/45. I DO have a Cabine tester for accurate repeatable measurements and I keep a general eye on hardness, but do not loose sleep over the "right magic alloy". I just throw a hunk of this and an ingot of that in the pot (based upon their alloy and weights per the calculator) and check the mix with a 1/2# ingot draw.

Download the spreadsheet calculator on this site to help you with alloy mixes and related hardnesses. If you do not have a tester, at least get a set of artist pencils for testing. Again, do a search on here about using them to get a guesstimate of hardness.

Welcome!

bangerjim

Dale53
11-11-2013, 09:28 PM
My standard alloy for all pistol and revolver loads is WW's+2% tin. Some get by without the tin but it greatly helps fill out while adding just a bit of hardness. Many have reported good results in the target load velocity by mixing as much as 50/50 WW/soft lead. Generally speaking, I have had most accurate results (by actual Ransom Rest Tests) with the .45 ACP (over 200,000 rounds of cast in this caliber) with my standard alloy. Many .45 ACP's are "blessed" with shallow rifling that benefit from an alloy as hard as my standard alloy. My experience with 9mm is minimal. I have LOTS of experience with .32's, .38/.357, .44 Special/Magnum, .45 ACP/.45 Colt in revolvers.

FWIW
Dale53

engineer401
11-11-2013, 10:14 PM
I've had good luck shooting recycled range lead with a BHN of 9 to 10. I use BAC for lube and have no leading issues. I've also mixed COWW with soft lead 1 to 1 with the same results. Enjoy your new hobby and remember you are "saving money" casting your own bullets.

williamwaco
11-11-2013, 10:16 PM
Straight WW is very good alloy.

If you need to stretch it you could add 25% pure.
If you do that, you will probably need to add some tin.

captaint
11-12-2013, 10:31 AM
If I had to use only one alloy, it would be straight WW's and a little tin for fillout on the mold. I often mix WW's with 50% softer lead. I do use straight WW's for the 9mm though. Mike

Echo
11-12-2013, 02:31 PM
For the 45, 50/50 WW/Pb+2%Sn - for the 9, WW+2%Sn.