PDA

View Full Version : Muzzleloader options

SeabeeMan
11-11-2013, 08:27 PM
I posted on this about this time last year and never did get my act together and buy a muzzleloader, so here we are again. I figured it was better to start a new thread than resurrect an old one since I have two specific rifles in mind. Everything I read says Knight has amazing accuracy and the local shop has a slightly used Bighorn in stainless/black synthetic for $200 with all the 209 conversion stuff. My dad has an Optima that he has been very happy with and I see them on sale for $250-ish here and there. The Bighorn is a bit more complicated but is the supposed increase in accuracy and stainless barrel worth losing the simplicity of the break action? Anything else to be aware of with this Knight rifle?

Lefty Red
11-11-2013, 08:37 PM
Grab the Bighorn! Awesome price, especially for the conversion to 209 already done!
Bed or float the barrel is about all that could be done to it.
The breech plug comes out and its just as easy to clean as a break open.

CVA does make a nice rifle, and the Optima is an example. Great rifle, never would past it over. But The Knight has a better barrel and trigger and is cheaper!
They say the Knight can do 200 yards groups. I wouldn't doubt it, benched and sandrested at a range. Bet the CVA or T/C rifles could do it too. But at hunting distances and under hunting conditions, either will work. But that is a great deal on the Bighorn!

Lefty

Lefty Red
11-11-2013, 08:38 PM
In fact, I will send you $200 plus shipping for the Bighorn if you decide on the break open! LOL

Lefty

Sweetpea
11-11-2013, 08:53 PM
I bought a new Bighorn this year, when my T/C quit...

It will flat-out shoot!

I took a buck @ 304 yards, I won't say there wasn't some luck involved, but I'm very happy with mine.

Brandon

SeabeeMan
11-11-2013, 11:23 PM
Called the owner back and he's holding it through the weekend until I can make it in. It was another customers gun who I know through the local range, great guy and takes excellent care of his things. Owner mentioned that he was glad to have it sold before deer season so he can upgrade and is going to bring in a box full of "**** like starters, rods, powder, primers, scope rings, and all that other stuff." I'll gladly take a box of **** like that!

SeabeeMan
11-11-2013, 11:23 PM
Apparently it edits cr@p

Omnivore
11-12-2013, 02:22 PM
Just make sure you know your local weapon restrictions for ML season. In WA State for example, no 209s are allowed. There have been stiffer restrictions in the past.

BTW; the term "Cr@p" comes from the name of the man who invented a flush toilet. His name was Cr@pper. I don't see how his name, or a shortened version thereof, needs to be censored, but it's not my web site.

waksupi
11-12-2013, 06:04 PM
Just make sure you know your local weapon restrictions for ML season. In WA State for example, no 209s are allowed. There have been stiffer restrictions in the past.

BTW; the term "Cr@p" comes from the name of the man who invented a flush toilet. His name was Cr@pper. I don't see how his name, or a shortened version thereof, needs to be censored, but it's not my web site.

Nothing we can do about it, it's part of the software program.

SeabeeMan
11-15-2013, 05:41 PM
The Bighorn is now mine, so we'll see how she shoots. All told it was the rifle with 209 conversion, wooden short starter, bag of Knight sabots, a full box of TC tipped sabot bullets, 3/4 flat of 777 primers, rail scope bases, a sealed can of 777, and an extra rod.

GREENCOUNTYPETE
11-16-2013, 03:07 PM
in Wisconsin 209 is fine and even a scope on the muzzle loader

Faret
11-16-2013, 05:58 PM
in Wisconsin 209 is fine and even a scope on the muzzle loader

Even during the muzzle loader season?

SeabeeMan
11-16-2013, 11:14 PM
Yes. The scope part changed a year or so back, but no other restrictions on weapon beyond the normal minimum caliber stuff. We've got some shotgun only areas but those are even starting to be phased out based on the info I've heard through DNR sources.