PDA

View Full Version : Larry Potterfield is my hero

texasmac
11-11-2013, 06:54 PM
Seriously, Larry does a fair job of “over viewing” many gunsmithing techniques. I especially liked the 24 part series which starts with an interview of Larry discussing the building of Custer’s rolling block .50-70 rifle. In many cases the fine points of the gunsmithing steps are not discussed but the series is a nice overview of the process for budding “shade tree” amateur gunsmiths. Click on the following link to see the interview with Larry that starts the series. Once each video is complete the next one will automatically start.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jBKx8oTSht8&list=SPABFBBE2DBDD597C9

Wayne

bigted
11-11-2013, 07:15 PM
I have heard mumblings about Custer's roller but never seen what it looked like ... got a photo to go along with?

I know ... I know ... the video would prolly show it however im on Alaska's infamous "dial-up connection" and I don't have enough time left to my old bones to wait till it either downloads or times out and nada.

ColColt
11-11-2013, 08:40 PM
Interesting. I was hoping toward the end he'd give us a shooting demonstration.

CanoeRoller
11-13-2013, 09:00 PM
There is a well known photo of Custer and his rolling block. He is sitting in front of a tent, with the rifle propped up.
It looks like a standard number one. I always wonder if some one has this up in an attic somewhere.

smoked turkey
11-14-2013, 09:48 PM
After viewing all the videos on gunsmithing the rolling block rifle I would give Larry an A for his presentations. Not being schooled in machine work I found the series both entertaining and educational. I wish I had the know how and equipment to tackle something like this. I believe Larry knows pretty much what he is doing from the way he handled the equipment and tools for this series.

Idaho Sharpshooter
11-15-2013, 01:52 AM
Odds are about 100 to 1 that the rifle, if it still exists, is up in Canada. Sitting Bull's Sioux fled to the "grandmother country" that fall.

bigted
11-15-2013, 07:26 PM
Idaho ... im bettin you are correct. im bettin that whoever has it now knows what they have as well. this would have been THE trophy to have picked up after Custer's fall.

im bettin that this rifle was hefted and danced with after the battle and that all who have seen it knew exactly what it was. we are not talkin about stupid savages here. this misunderstanding led to the massacre in the first place.

i would really like to see that rifle tho.

Red River Rick
11-15-2013, 07:34 PM
Sitting Bulls Headdress is in the Royal Ontario Museum, he gave to a senior NWMP officer before he went back to the US. Kinda, a thank-you for letting them stay in the "Queens" country.

So, Custer's RB maybe up here.

RRR

bob208
11-15-2013, 07:56 PM
I have a few rb actions laying around I mite have too see about building into a Custer rifle. I have taken a deer with a .50-70 sharps carbine. that .50-70 do put them down.

Lead pot
11-15-2013, 08:02 PM
There is a roller behind glass at the battle field museum and one his uniforms that was his. Wood was pretty well gone.

EDG
11-15-2013, 10:51 PM
Larry is a decent amateur but does not really run a lathe or mill like a pro. But then not a lot of gunsmiths do unless they worked as a machinist or tool maker. He does produce some very informative videos.
It kind of rankles me that he gets a big break on UPS shipping. Based on what large companies I worked for paid, he adds the rate you and I would pay to the bill. Then he pays about 50% or less of the rate you and I pay and sticks the overage in his pocket.

Suo Gan
11-16-2013, 12:08 AM
It's like when you go to a convenience store and pay more for whatever you are buying than if you bought a couple truck loads of them. Ups gives the deal to Larry because he ships in huge bulk.

Companies need to make a profit. The idea that everything ought to be not for profit is a liberal precept.

I do like the rollers. Since Larry is in this for fun, he should probably just send it on over to me. I'll get the shipping.

EDG
11-16-2013, 02:31 AM
Since the buyers buy the products and pay for the shipping by uniform commercial code Potterfield is getting the discount but is not paying a cent for the service. His customers are paying for the shipping. I think it is a liberal that is happy to throw away his money to an organization profiting for no service or product delivered.
Larry Potterfield does NOTHING for the profit he makes on doubling up on the shipping.
Sure he should make a profit but only for products or services rendered.
If you enjoy giving him money for nothing you are the lullaby liberal.

Grafs gets my business because they manage to make a profit without the light fingered shipping practices. They also have better prices than Potterfield plus I get a discount from Grafs beyond those prices. Old Pottyfield terminated the discounts he offered.

It's like when you go to a convenience store and pay more for whatever you are buying than if you bought a couple truck loads of them. Ups gives the deal to Larry because he ships in huge bulk.

Companies need to make a profit. The idea that everything ought to be not for profit is a liberal precept.

I do like the rollers. Since Larry is in this for fun, he should probably just send it on over to me. I'll get the shipping.

CanoeRoller
11-16-2013, 12:09 PM
I personally doubt that Custer's Roller could ever be identified. The natives all said later they did not know who they were fighting, so it would have just been a good rifle picked up off the ground, and quickly turned against the troopers on Reno hill. Archeologists have identified a number or rolling blocks that fired toward the Reno/Benteen site, any of them might have been Custer's.

It would have been used by whoever took it for both warfare and hunting, so it was used hard in the years that followed.

It's most likely fate was:
1. Abandoned somewhere after it failed from years off use, or became obsolete.
2. Confiscated and destroyed by soldiers during the Indian Wars
3. Traded off for supplies.
4. Thrown away by the native who had it, out of fear he would be punished for killing Custer.
5. Rebarrelled in 40-65 and is now called, "Ram Rocker."

The odds that it is still out there are small, and the odds that it would be identifiable as Custer's are close to zero.

That is part of the fun, any original 50-70 early sporting model you touch could, just maybe, be the one. Rather like a lottery ticket.

bigted
11-16-2013, 03:12 PM
canoeroller ... you do offer hope ... LOL..:kidding:

smoked turkey
11-18-2013, 12:51 AM
Before we give Larry too much grief over his high shipping costs, I think we need to look at our own Swappin and Sellin section and note the shipping costs paid there for what we buy. I enjoy the process here and have purchased quite a bit of goods from folks here. The shipping cost was known up front and its a free country and I could just pass it by and not purchase if I am all bent about the shipping cost. I choose to buy here and pay the shipping cost as do most all who regularily buy here. However I do think that a great deal of the time shipping costs could be cheaper than the standard flat rate charges if the seller would go to the trouble to pack it in a custom package and just see what the cheaper way to ship would be. Not a complaint, but just sayin'.

nhrifle
11-18-2013, 01:21 AM
His videos are great and since I am starting on my journey as a professional gunsmith he gives some invaluable advice and techniques that put the "magic" into gunsmithing. Take a look at his vid on plugging old screw holes in a barrel. Simple and effective. One of my favorites in his 30 minute video on checkering a rifle stock.

CanoeRoller
11-18-2013, 11:10 AM
Shipping can be a major expense for any company which does not manage is freight costs very carefully. There is a simple justification for charging full retail for shipping and not passing on all the saving to the customer, that being all the costs that are directly related to shipping product. This includes boxes, packing material, people's time to pack goods and so forth. These can be quite substantial costs in and of themselves.

If a cautious business owner strops to really add all shipping and handling costs, they often enter a stationary panic. For many companies, freight costs can be one of the three largest expenses on their books.
i have no problem with Midway's freight policy. It is a sign that they are in business to make a profit and stay around for a while.

bigted
11-18-2013, 04:56 PM
I totally agree. when a feller goes into business for himself he does so for 1 reason and this is to make money ... in whatever tactic he can identify for doing so. having had a couple small business opportunity's myself I can attest to the fact that if you don't embrace every opportunity for profit ... then these small things can and do rear up to bite you in the hinny.

my hat is off to Larry and I support him as often as I have need of his merchandise. I gladly pay the freight and try to not grumble as this is one place that carries the things I need... among few other spots.

ColColt
11-18-2013, 05:20 PM
my hat is off to Larry and I support him as often as I have need of his merchandise. I gladly pay the freight and try to not grumble as this is one place that carries the things I need... among few other spots.

Ditto. Many times he had want I was looking for when no one else did. You have to make money somewhere or you can't pay your employees and your taxes. If you can't do that you're gone. I buy from Midway 80% of the time. The other 20% elsewhere if he doesn't have what I need or is back ordered I check somewhere else. Other than that I think Larry gets a lot of unnecessary bad mouthing. Put yourself in his position.

Lefty Red
11-20-2013, 07:51 AM
Shipping cost is what it is. I have yet to be able to ship anything I have sold for under $8, unless I can fit it in a SFR box.

Midway has always treated me right. They have sent me the correct item or a replacement before I send the other item back! Truely great customer service and advice.

Guess we can all order off of Amazon and get free shipping, but I would rather use Larry and sponsers on here. Its like tipping, if you can't afford to tip then you shouldn't be having the meal.

Lefty