PDA

View Full Version : TC CHEROKEE 32 cal. ---JAG??

downwind
11-11-2013, 04:22 PM
Does the 32cal. TC Cherokee use a cleaning jag that is stepped (two diameters).

Is it a "pattented breach"?

If so, where can I find one?

THANKS
DOWNWIND

451 Pete
11-11-2013, 05:18 PM
I am not sure what you are meaning by a " stepped" jag but .32 caliber muzzle loading cleaning jags can be had from a number of sources on line such as Track of the Wolf for one. Yes, the Cherokee has a patent breech as opposed to a drum and nipple. With the patent breech the threaded nipple hole is a part of the breech plug casting.

Pete

Maven
11-11-2013, 05:31 PM
downwind, Are you seeking to clean the powder chamber and breech face? If so, breech scrapers are available from TOW + you can put a cleaning patch over an appropriately sized bronze bore brush to clean the chamber. Also, using the patch over the brush also helps to prevent it getting stuck in the chamber.

downwind
11-11-2013, 06:02 PM
I am not sure what you are meaning by a " stepped" jag but .32 caliber muzzle loading cleaning jags can be had from a number of sources on line such as Track of the Wolf for one. Yes, the Cherokee has a patent breech as opposed to a drum and nipple. With the patent breech the threaded nipple hole is a part of the breech plug casting. Pete

I have jags that TC produced in 45cal and 54cal and they are 2 different dia. --- one for the bore and the smaller to reach down into the hollowed out area of the breach plug where the powder sits.

It steps down from the larger dia. to the smaller dia. on a single jag.

THANKS FOR THE REPLY
DOWNWIND

fouronesix
11-11-2013, 06:24 PM
I've got both types of jags- the stepped and the flat rounded. I don't have a 32 Cherokee so I don't know the diameter or shape of the patent breech in one. I use a flat rounded scraping jag after shooting a bunch thru a patent breech muzzleloader simply to get the bulk of the fouling out. All the stepped jag or most any jag can do and sometimes does is force more fouling into the blind end of the patent breech and/or into the flash channel. Not good in both cases. Management and cleaning while shooting any patent breech is tricky and accounts for lots of misfires if care isn't taken during the swabbing/cleaning process. A worn out smaller diameter brass cleaning brush or one with a soft patch over-wrapped on a good strong steel cleaning rod is about as good as any.

With some trial and error and a short piece of wood dowel attached to the end of a cleaning rod you could probably ascertain the size and shape of the patent breech. Insert, twist, remove, check for rubs. Relieve rubs with a drill and file. Repeat until you duplicate the size and shape of the patent breech. And, has been hinted at, don't cram a brass brush in there haphazardly.