PDA

View Full Version : Lube on cast for big bore air rifle?

Little Doc
11-11-2013, 02:05 PM
have been lubing cast bullets with Rooster Jacket for .308 pcp. Cleaned the rifle today and plastic brush showed what looked like wax. works well but requires cleaning often. Lubed next batch of bullets with NAPA Silicone Spray Lube. Wondering if anyone has used/tried this for lube? If so looking for results, opinions. Other lube suggestions welcome. by the way the cast bullets are cast of pure lead and sized to .308.
thanks M

melloairman
11-11-2013, 03:10 PM
There is no heat to burn soft lubes away . I use moly spray that dries or dry slide . Any silicon or Teflon lube that dries should be ok . But still use sparingly . Most of it gets blown off the bullet and deposited in the barrel at the speed the bullet is traveling . I use a bronze brush and penetrating oil with patches to clean my barrels . Normally shoot 180 shots right now at the range . Then clean the barrel when I get home . No scrubbing needed just a simple cleaning after all the shots . You can use pure lead if accuracy is there . But it is not needed and might cause leading earlier than a alloyed lead . Have not found a AR that will not except at least a 10 bhn lead . And casting with a alloyed lead normally gives a better fill out with fewer culls IMO .Marvin

MT Chambers
11-11-2013, 06:32 PM
A dry moly lube may be worth a try as well, that's what I will try next.