PDA

View Full Version : Digital Micrometer On Sale

alamogunr
11-11-2013, 09:46 AM
I just received an email from a vendor offering digital micrometers. I prefer a regular micrometer but thought, for the price, I would try one. They are located here:

http://www.reidsupply.com/sku/YPI-4/?refid=CAT24PE13&utm_source=iContact&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Bi-Weekly%20Core%20Product%20Emails&utm_content=Reid+Clearance+11%2F11

I thought some here might be interested also. I can't vouch for the item itself but I have ordered from this company before and have been well satisfied.

Maybe others more skilled and experienced than I could comment on these.

One fly in the ointment is shipping. Shipping options listed with prices are expensive. I chose USPS which gave no estimate.

John Boy
11-11-2013, 11:01 AM
Brand ...Mitutoyo
Why so cheap?

alamogunr
11-11-2013, 11:03 AM
Brand ...Mitutoyo
Why so cheap?

The only indication I could find was a small note saying they were discontinued items.

bangerjim
11-11-2013, 02:25 PM
Just ordered 2 of them. Mit is a good unit.

If you want it, you have to call because the cat number is NOT in the website system and will not take it. You actually have to TALK to a REAL HUMAN to order!

banger

mold maker
11-11-2013, 02:32 PM
That brand at that price is great.

EDG
11-11-2013, 02:38 PM
I am sure it is an excellent mike but
Many people that use the old mechanical micrometers want the .0001 vernier scale so they can attempt to read the mike in .0001 increments.

That particular digital will only report to .0005. It will only read to plus or minus a half thousandth.
That is about the only thing I can see to beef about on the mike. They also have a 1-2 range mike on sale at the same price.

bosterr
11-11-2013, 02:51 PM
Just ordered 2 of them. Mit is a good unit.

If you want it, you have to call because the cat number is NOT in the website system and will not take it. You actually have to TALK to a REAL HUMAN to order!

banger

I just ordered one online and seemed to go OK. I guess I'll have to wait and see.

EDG
11-11-2013, 02:53 PM
Reid has a promo code for your first order with them for 25% off.
I just got one of the 1" and one of the 2" for $14.99 each plus shipping using the promo code.

mj2evans
11-11-2013, 02:56 PM
yeah the 0.0005" seems like an issue to me ... if I need to mic it I likely want to know tenths too but could be good for quick checks with maybe more accuarcy than calipers ..... heck for $20 I think I need one too

captaint
11-12-2013, 12:39 PM
I really wish I needed a set. For 20 bux + shipping, that's a great deal, even if you get smoked on the shipping. Great brand. Mike

Garyshome
11-12-2013, 12:59 PM
Dial gauge for $9.99 too!

LUBEDUDE
11-12-2013, 01:57 PM
Kind of hosed ya on the shipping at 15 bucks for a lightweight $20 item. But I added another $60 for only 2 bucks more shipping.

Yeah, I really showed 'em.

Springfield
11-12-2013, 02:15 PM
Where did you get the Promo code?

EDG
11-14-2013, 03:44 PM
Just search on google for Reid Tool promo code.

The 0 to 1 is now sold out. The 1-2 is still in stock.

I just got an 0-1 and a 1-2 by UPS.

I was pleasantly surprised by these.
As received the battery was dead. However there was a new spare battery and it was fresh enough to work.
These mikes are basically metric in design so the thimble is graduated 0-50 for 1/2 MM per turn.
The display shows MM to .XXX when set to metric
The display shows inches at .XXXX and 0 or 5 in the fifth decimal place. So digitally it reads to the nearest 1/2 tenth of a thousandth. That is one decimal place better than the web page said. So it reads direct to the nearest tenth and then is zero or .5 in the next digit. Kind of cool. I am not sure my measuring techique is that good.
The thimble also had a pretty good ratchet . These seem to be pretty good for $15 each.

Where did you get the Promo code?

bosterr
11-14-2013, 07:30 PM
I got mine today. I opted for USPS shipping and it cost $5.84 to get here. As stated above, the installed battery was dead, but the spare is good. Dosen't say anywhere that it's a Mitutoyo. Nice instrument though.

bangerjim
11-20-2013, 07:09 PM
Buyer BEWARE!!!!!!!!!! These are NOT Mit brand. Same old Chinese crapola that hf sells.

I received 2 of them and neither worked.....right out of the box. ALL 4 batteries dead. Put new ones in and neither mic would work.

One was dead completely.......only read "mm". The other one indicated "190.3450 mm" and would not change, no matter what I did. Even after re-installing the NEW battery 3 times, neither one would work.

Called the company and they IMMEDIATELY (!) offered a full refund + shipping! No questions.....no return necessary. They know there are problems with these pieces of junk. They said these are old new stock that they bought years ago and labeled with thier company name. NOT Mit brand as advertised on site!!!!!!!!

They KNOW there are problems and are more than happy to volunteer (!) to give you a 100% refund to your cc.

Good reputable company.........poor product.

bangerjim

jmort
11-20-2013, 07:25 PM
My battery worked and the unit works fine. It was listed as a "MITUTOYO." For the $$$, I'm O.K. with it. I don't doubt it could be an off-brand, but, again, mine worked just fine. I have a non-digital MITUTOYO as a back-up.

alamogunr
11-21-2013, 12:56 AM
Mine works fine too. As others said the installed battery was dead but the extra worked. I've got other mics that are not digital that are more than accurate enough for me. The Brown & Sharpe w/vernier is about all I use any more. I got the digital just because I had never had one and wanted to try it. I haven't had a chance to compare it to the B&S but will in a few days.

EDG
11-29-2013, 08:55 PM
True mine are not Mitutoyo. The instructions look just like the stuff that came with my HF DVOM and other HF electronic gadgets.
Mine work fine and the thimble measurement works well for .01 mm. I will keep and eye on them for a year. I know Reid is a good company so there should be no problem getting my money back if there is a problem. Just hang on to that invoice.

drinks
11-30-2013, 06:54 PM
Luddite to the last, I still just use my 1956 General 0-1 with vernier, cost $8.95 per the sticker on the box.
Still on original battery, too!

;<)

EDG
12-01-2013, 11:44 AM
You are only a Luddite if you are the 3rd generation owner of a non digital micrometer which you have given hard used at least 40 years. I swapped a POC 2 to 3 mike for it. When I am sitting it is rarely more than a foot from my hands. It is a very early B&S Stainless mike. Carbide faces with no vernier.

mold maker
12-01-2013, 11:58 AM
My Reid micrometer came with a dead battery and the spare was weak, and dying. Reid doesn't have any more batteries to replace them, and said the shelf life was the reason, for the sale price.
At their sale price, buying batteries to get it to work wasn't a big deal, but I thought it should have been on their dime.

Gillie Dog
12-01-2013, 01:51 PM
Luddite here also. Still have and use Starrett mics, calipers (it is in my desk drawer at work), scales, squares and the like from the late 1930's aircraft industry my father worked. These tools went through his 40 years with him as the operator of a tool and die shop after the war. Only second generation but 70 plus years on the instruments, also without a battery failure. And the darn things are still as accurate as day one without the threads having worn out on the spindle or someone using it for a C clamp, it should be.

However, I guess I do not qualify, only 2nd generation and I do like my Mitutoyo digital calipers but only have the non-digital mics. I do think technology is okay so I have to disqualify myself from Luddite membership.:(:(:(

Thanks for the memories guys.

GD

EDG
12-02-2013, 03:32 AM
You can see there is always a superseding Luddite - I admit to having an old mike but I also have a lot modern stuff though I still dislike batteries.

Luddite here also. Still have and use Starrett mics, calipers (it is in my desk drawer at work), scales, squares and the like from the late 1930's aircraft industry my father worked. These tools went through his 40 years with him as the operator of a tool and die shop after the war. Only second generation but 70 plus years on the instruments, also without a battery failure. And the darn things are still as accurate as day one without the threads having worn out on the spindle or someone using it for a C clamp, it should be.

However, I guess I do not qualify, only 2nd generation and I do like my Mitutoyo digital calipers but only have the non-digital mics. I do think technology is okay so I have to disqualify myself from Luddite membership.:(:(:(

Thanks for the memories guys.

GD

R.Ph. 380
12-09-2013, 02:33 PM
I ordered this Micrometer and got an order confirmation on 11-19-13. When I finally called today after 19 days, I was told they showed one in stock and 2 orders ahead of mine. The wait time for shipment was Next APRIL. Asked the order person if she thought waiting for 5 months for a Christmas present ordered 35 days before Christmas was acceptable. Had her cancel the order. I'll not buy anything else from Reid Supply. Supremely uninterested in making good on their ordering process.

Bill