PDA

View Full Version : I'm Done with Glock Modifications

W.R.Buchanan
11-11-2013, 01:12 AM
I have had enough of so called Up Grades for my Glocks.

I have a Glock 35 which has 7000-8000 rounds thru it, and every single aftermarket internal part I have put in that gun has resulted in some kind of failure.

Storm Lake barrel.. Will not run even one full mag with out a failure to feed. Junk.

3.5lb Connector induces mashing.

Brownells 4 lb spring kit. Failure to hit the primers hard enough after just 300 rounds. Resulted in 5 FTF's today out of 25 rounds fired. Completely killed a good run at a 3 gun match and I had to play catch up from the very first shot which didn't go off and as a result I was down on ammo for the stage which resulted in two extra mag changes and killed my score.

Trigger jobs performed by me resulting in premature wear on the trigger bars and strikers 3 replaced triggers and two strikers. Please don't tell me I don't know what I'm doing, I'm supposed to be a "Certified Glock Armorer!" Doing what is considered normal operating procedure is what resulted in premature wear on the trigger bars where they contact the strikers which eventually ended in a wasted parts that needed replacement.

Solutions to these problems.

Put stock barrel back in.
Put stock 5 lb. connector back in.
Replaced trigger assembly and striker and did nothing to them IE; left them completely stock out of the box.
Put stock springs back in. Tomorrow!

I live close to Glock Works I have looked at all of their modifications closely and heard the reason why everyone needs them.

What everyone needs to do is leave the Glock Pistol alone. If you want different sights or maybe a bigger mag release button, those items are not going to hurt anything. However aftermarket parts are not the solution to you poor shooting. Practice is!, and you can afford more ammo if you don't waste your money on aftermarket parts for these guns.

If you think there is any advantage whatsoever to internal modifications, then I am here to tell you. Don't waste your money! All you will accomplish is to make the pistol less reliable.

Been there Done that!

No more!

Randy

Love Life
11-11-2013, 01:15 AM
You speak truth. It never ceases to amaze me when a person buys a Glock, and immediately heads to the Googlemobile to get all the "upgrades" for the pistol.

Buy it, clean it, lube it, and shoot it. The only thing a Glock needs is night sights and a good holster.

Glock perfection? Yes.

Below is a list of issues and fixes:

1. Trigger pull feels heavy
Fix- Drink a can of man with breakfast

2. Sights aren't good for precision
Fix- Get new sights and realize the fact it is a fighting pistol. It still probably shoots better than you do.

3. It's thick and blocky and hard to conceal
Fix- get a good holster and a bigger shirt

4. You can't shoot cast out of the factory barrel or a nuclear explosion will occur
Fix- Facepalm

5. Bad ergonomics
Fix- Buy a different gun or...wait for it...wait for it...wait for it...practice more.

Glocks are great tools. Draw, aim, shoot. Rinse and repeat.
That's really about it.

W.R.Buchanan
11-11-2013, 01:19 AM
I'll tell you LL,,, I was so pissed today I almost threw the thing. 5 light strikes and 3 right out of the gate in the first mag including the very first shot which doesn't do a whole lot for your concentration. I was pissed. I couldn't hit anything after that and all of my form went right out the window, which only made things worse.

Did good with the Mini 14 and the M500 shotgun but by then it was too late and I ended up mid pack instead on in the top 3-4.

Last month I shot my G21SF and placed second. No problems and good hits all around.

Randy

Love Life
11-11-2013, 01:26 AM
Oh I understand how that can throw you off. I have moments when I go to the range, fire the first group, and just stick the gun back in the case and shoot something else.

Mods on guns are kind of cool and make them more personalized, but Glocks just don't need them. Period.

9.3X62AL
11-11-2013, 03:16 AM
"Less is more" is DEFINITELY the rule when it comes to Glocks--and it's not a bad concept for most firearms used for practical applications.

300savage
11-11-2013, 04:35 AM
i sure appreciate my OD green framed 35, it gets carried almost daily on the ranch and is a coon /badger/ coyote/armadillo/ buzzard and the occassional pig killn machine.
however i do believe that it came stock with a 3.5 OEM trigger.

but honestly i truly believe that every aspiring pistol shooter should first learn how to shoot a glock.
because you must shoot a glock the way you should shoot any pistol.
front sight focus and start pressing until it goes bang regardless of whether it has a 2 lb trigger or a 10.
basics are the same, focus, press, keep focusing, keep pressing,,, bang !
soon, as you know that becomes second.nature and helps defeat the old point/ yank syndrome.

focus, press, bang. stupid simple but really as advanced as it needs to get.
and once mastered makes an ugly blocky simple pistol shoot like an extension of your intention..

lefty o
11-11-2013, 06:55 AM
i dont know, you can modify the heck out of a glock and keep it 100% reliable. just throwing parts at it from various sources isnt the answer.

Lefty Red
11-11-2013, 07:26 AM
The only thing I did to my G35 was put a Glock OME NY orange spring in it. Made it feel like a smooth DOA trigger, almost revolver like. I think I did the same thing to my daughter's G19. Just made it easier switching back and forth from revolver and Glocks.

But think today, I would only put in an orange NY trigger spring and some night sights. Its a great weapon and tough as nails!

Lefty

6bg6ga
11-11-2013, 08:23 AM
I can show you an even dozen modified Glocks that my son owns. They have all the modifications and he has had one or two light strikes. So, I don't know what to tell you. He also has polished the trigger components and has had great results. To say the mods aren't worth it might require more additional information as well as additional users with the same problems. Maybe the problem is a specific manufacturer instead of a particular part. I have seen several different brands out there of the same part.

I personally like the light trigger in mine and polished trigger parts. As for a barrel to shoot lead umm never had a problem shooting lead either dispite the no shoot lead comment in a lot of threads.

RED333
11-11-2013, 08:31 AM
Well we have 6 Glocks, 2) G23, 3) G22, and
a G35, LW barrels in the 35 and one of the 22s.
The 1st G22 had a trigger job in it when I got it, never failed.
All shoot cast just fine and so far no problems.
I just shoot for fun in the back yard.

Garyshome
11-11-2013, 09:04 AM
I love it Lovelife! I used a 3.8 lb in mine and will not do anything else, no need. It shoots better then me.

freebullet
11-11-2013, 10:33 AM
The best way to "fix" a glock is to buy an xd. Lol, here we go.

300savage
11-11-2013, 10:45 AM
nope that dog dont hunt.
u should have posted that sillyness down in the humor section.

scattershot
11-11-2013, 11:33 AM
The reason folks mess with their Glocks is that they are so simple. It's sorta like Legos, anyone can do it, so they are tempted.

rattletrap1970
11-11-2013, 11:44 AM
I don't own a glock, I've shot a few, don't care for em. Would I buy one just to have one in the collection? Sure. The glock was designed to be a relatively tight tolerance pistol intended to be used with the parts in it.. a stock 1911 is a military firearm designed to be shot in awful conditions and still function and to be manufactured by machines that existed IN 1911 (or earlier). The tolerances are wider and fits more generous. I believe this is the reason for the ease of aftermarket parts and Mods to be installed and still function. You'll notice the tighter you get that 1911 the more finicky it gets unless everything is done perfectly. The glock, be design and manufacturing practices leaves less tolerance for the playing.

HATCH
11-11-2013, 11:50 AM
I do the ny orange and a 3,5# disconnector.
Never had a issue.
I don't have enough rounds thru the lone wolf barrels yet but afar so good.

Jailer
11-11-2013, 12:44 PM
3.5lb Connector induces mashing.

Explain this "mashing" please. All of my Glocks have 3.5lb connectors and I love them. Not all are the same though, I've had a Lone Wolf snap in half trying to get it adjust correctly.

Brownells 4 lb spring kit. Failure to hit the primers hard enough after just 300 rounds. Resulted in 5 FTF's today out of 25 rounds fired. Completely killed a good run at a 3 gun match and I had to play catch up from the very first shot which didn't go off and as a result I was down on ammo for the stage which resulted in two extra mag changes and killed my score.

Federal primers will solve that problem. They are pretty much mandatory if you're going to run light striker springs. Haven't had a single light primer strike since switching to Federals with many thousands of rounds fired.

Trigger jobs performed by me resulting in premature wear on the trigger bars and strikers 3 replaced triggers and two strikers. Please don't tell me I don't know what I'm doing, I'm supposed to be a "Certified Glock Armorer!" Doing what is considered normal operating procedure is what resulted in premature wear on the trigger bars where they contact the strikers which eventually ended in a wasted parts that needed replacement.

In my experience these home trigger jobs are nothing but a waste of time. Solution to a non existent problem. Run em and they wear in nicely.

W.R.Buchanan
11-11-2013, 02:31 PM

Jailer: the G35 does come with a 3.5 connector. It was changed out for a G22 connector because the 3.5 connector is too light and induces mashing. A 5lb connector is not going to fix mashing, it is just going to make it easier to fix.

"Mashing" is when your shots go low to the left. This is caused by the fact that there is little difference in the take up pull and the let off pull on the trigger with the 3.5 lb. connector, and the take up and let off tend to run together and this motion tends to push the gun away from your firing hand. This throws shots low left.

Normally you would want to preload the trigger to take up the slack as the gun is coming to the target during the Extension portion of the presentation, and then go to Slack plus, which is taking up some of the Creep, and then get your surprise break as the sights come to bare. All this has to happen in about .3 seconds so you don't have a whole lot of time to think about it. It pretty much has to become rote. If anything changes during the draw the 3.5 connector will not give you as much warning as the 5lb one does and thus under pressure you will press right on thru the take up to the let off and "mash the shot". This will usually happen during the first few shots of a string when you are not warmed up.

I know you have experienced this, since virtually every one who has shot a semi auto has at one time or another . It's just part of the game.

Under time pressure this rears it's ugly head almost immediately. It takes constant practice to over come this issue that the vast majority of people simply can't do. I got rid of the 3.5 connector 7-8 years ago after I had a target at Front Sight that had the Appendix completely shot out. The instructor used my target used my target to illustrate the issue perfectly. Gloves and cold weather didn't help either and just amplified the problem..

The 3.5 connector uses the stock striker spring. The angle on the little tab that pushes the trigger bar down off the striker is at a lower angle than the 5 lb. connector, thus requiring less force but a slightly longer travel. This is the only difference.

AS far as the light strikes the Brownells Trigger spring kit is the problem here and not the Winchester Factory ammo I was shooting. It has about 300 rounds on those springs and they are worn out and will be going in the trash today.

The Trigger bar and striker are plated with "Electro less Nickel" and then baked at 450 F. This makes the nickel about 78 Rc!. However the plating is only .0005 (1/2 thou) thick. Since it is so thin, any polishing only reduces the thickness as it is easily buffed off, and thus the life expectancy. Stock ones will last about 5000 rounds if left alone. These parts are among the few that wear out on Glocks, however you can replace just about all of them for $40. This is why if someone offers you a Glock for cheap because it is worn out you bag it .

My gun gets shot about 1000 rounds per year. This is not that much really and I know guys who shoot theirs 1000 rounds a month.

All of my trigger parts in this gun are bone stock except for the spring kit. This particular trigger has probably 3000 rounds on it and is fine, the spring kit wore out prematurely.

AS far as the Storm Lake barrel goes, it just has too tight a chamber. I never sent it back to them to be fixed. Since the fire control and barrel are about the only things that matter that you can change out on a Glock I restricted this Rant to them.

I also have Dawson Sights, a Mag well and larger mag button.

Randy

Love Life
11-11-2013, 03:45 PM
Modifying a Glock is like buying a new Ferrari and immediately looking for what new motor to swap into it.

Draw, aim, squeeze, bang. Rinse and repeat.

Brad Phillips
11-11-2013, 07:32 PM
My G17 has Trij. night sights on it and resides in a Cleveland holster. Nothing else needed....

Jailer
11-11-2013, 07:51 PM
While I do agree with the "don't fix it if it aint broke" sentiment, Glock modifications if done correctly can enhance the performance.

For example my G21 has a few simple modifications to make it more user friendly for me in IDPA. It has an extra power trigger spring, reduced power striker and safety springs and aftermarket guide rod with 12 lb recoil spring. It's set up for my IDPA load of 4.8gr of 231 and a H&G 68 clone loaded with Federal primers. It is 100% reliable, never a malfunction with these mods after several thousand rounds. But it has been modified with a narrow focus in mind and works exactly as it was intended.

My other Glocks have nothing more than a 3.5 lb connector just to keep trigger pull the same across all guns. Consistency of training being the goal here. Otherwise they are bone stock.

Petrol & Powder
11-11-2013, 09:18 PM
It took me awhile to warm up to Glock's but I'm there. For a combat type pistol it's hard to beat. It's true strength is that given decent ammo it will go bang every time and I do mean Every Time. I've seen them abused and I'm impressed with the design and I see little need to fool with it.

Rainier
11-11-2013, 09:33 PM
I agree, why fix what ain't broken. I have an older Glock19 and have made just exactly 3 "modifications" to it. Changed out the sights, added an extended slide release and because it's so old, hogue wraparound rubber grips. The thing shoots and cycles anything I've ever fed it. Sure the trigger is a bit of a "mush bang" and it's not the fanciest looking gun I own but for what it is it works!
Just my two cents worth...

W.R.Buchanan
11-12-2013, 04:10 PM
Jailer: My G21 has the same 4 lb Brownells spring kit, and more rounds thru that kit than the G35 does. go figure. I shoot it better also.

How did you get the SWC's to feed right? What OAL do you load to? I tried plated ones like that but ran into the nose and the step both contacting the top of the chamber at the exact same time that the side of the case came in contact with the feed ramp.

I tried several different seating depths (1.275 ish) to get around this but didn't get anywhere.

Randy.

novalty
11-12-2013, 04:39 PM
Jailer: My G21 has the same 4 lb Brownells spring kit, and more rounds thru that kit than the G35 does. go figure. I shoot it better also.

How did you get the SWC's to feed right? What OAL do you load to? I tried plated ones like that but ran into the nose and the step both contacting the top of the chamber at the exact same time that the side of the case came in contact with the feed ramp.

I tried several different seating depths (1.275 ish) to get around this but didn't get anywhere.

Randy.

The easiest way to get around it is to buy a 1911. :kidding:

PS Paul
11-12-2013, 04:46 PM
I've shot a few of them over the years, literally SOLD thousands of 'em and never owned a one of 'em. Yeah, they're simple, reliable, durable beyond belief, fun to shoot and all, BUT I'm just not a fan of 'em, that's all.

Now, a good .45 single-action? Now we're talkin'.

novalty
11-12-2013, 04:54 PM
:goodpost:

From one Paul to another. :drinks:

Jailer
11-12-2013, 07:20 PM

Randy.

I load my H&G 68 clone to 1.235 OAL with a .472 taper crimp. They feed flawlessly. Now my H&G 130 clone is hit and miss. I've tried all sorts of seating depths with that one and they still fail to feed about 5% of the time. They still shoot good so I use them for practice and malfunction drills.

Salmoneye
11-13-2013, 04:05 PM
Can not agree more with the OP...

I have a Gen 2 all black internals G19 that has never had a FTE, or FTF no matter what I have fed it...Still run the original non drop-free mags...

Only thing not stock is the rear sight...

The 2nd time that useless factory adjustable sight came off, it went in a drawer and was replaced by a standard 6.5mm square sight...

It will not be 'upgraded' in my lifetime...

Changeling
11-14-2013, 07:16 PM
"Less is more" is DEFINITELY the rule when it comes to Glocks--and it's not a bad concept for most firearms used for practical applications.

Smartest thing I've heard here in a long time!

W.R.Buchanan
11-14-2013, 07:24 PM
Jailer: thanks for the info. I was at 1.275 OAL it is was exactly the wrong length. I do a .470 crimp. The gun functions flawlessly with 230 gr Ball style boolits. I shoot mostly copper plated ones in that gun.

Randy

Silver Jack Hammer
11-16-2013, 12:48 PM
Rattletrap1970; Well said! I second your comments entirely. People alter their firearms and then complain about the end product, and then blame the model. They alter their firearm to function differently than the model was designed for originally. The 1911 is a prime example. Shooters learn that when the plumber tightens the pipe on one end the other end starts to leak. Another example is a recent crash of a P-51 Mustang during pylon racing. The P-51 Mustang was designed as a high altitude fighter / interceptor, not a pylon racer. So they altered the P-51, both man and machine were destroyed. They make good airplanes for pylon racing and they make good pistols for bullseye shooting and good pistols for combat environments. Many gunsmiths make a living making combat pistols bullseye shooters and that is fine, but accept the modifications with all the problems that come from deviating from factory specs.

W.R.Buchanan
11-16-2013, 11:40 PM
Silver Jack Hammer: the problem with Pylon Racing in the Unlimited Class is nobody ever made anything that could compete with a P51 or a Bearcat or a Corsair etc. etc. Sooo,,,, that's what they use.

They are among the most incredible airplanes ever made, or ever WILL BE be made.

The Sport of Pylon Racing is the only real usage left for those machines that really uses the machine's capabilities to the fullest.

Otherwise they are just for display purposes, and flying around on Sunday afternoon.

Since I live near the Confederate Air Force Base, occasionally one flies over my house, and it is a great day when it happens because there is nothing that sounds like a P51! It sends chills up and down your spine, and I love it more than I can speak.

In another life I sat behind a Merlin and I remember it like it happened last week. The sound brings back more and more memories each time I hear one.

Unfortunately they do occasionally crash. And it is a sad day when it happens.

Randy

FergusonTO35
11-17-2013, 12:05 AM
I used to work next to a small municipal airport. On break I would walk by it to see what was sitting on the tarmac. One day there was a factory fresh looking P-51D sitting there. At lunch time I came back and caught it taking off. The 51 took off practically straight up in the air. The pilot then did a couple of high speed passes over the airport only 100 feet or so off the ground. Although I was standing on the road next to the airport some distance away the noise and sight was just awesome!!

MattOrgan
11-17-2013, 12:21 AM
Having been certified as a basic and advanced Glock armorer for 20+ years I know one thing: Glock doesn't authorize any of the changes listed. The only non parts changing fix is to use their diamond file to square the slide lock notch in some slides after they had been rounded by some one using the slide lock as slide release. Glocks are simply one of the most reliable handguns on earth, period. They all shoot cast very well and the "kaboom" issue urban legend. The people that are blowing magazines out of Glocks with poorly hand loaded ammunition are the same ones doing more damage to other pistols with poorly hand loaded ammunition. Esthetically they are ugly, mushy triggers too. Leave them alone, feed them quality ammunition and the will always work, period. They are more accurate out of the box than most people can hold and certainly more accurate than they need to be for their intended purpose. Go ahead, add **** parts and barrels, cut, modify, change springs and then get on here and rant about them not working after you have screwed them up. Spend the money on a decent holster and components so you can shoot more, or buy something else that meets your standards.

6bg6ga
11-17-2013, 12:37 AM
Glocks can and do live with a few modifications. The BS of keeping them 100% stock is just that. Seen a number of them that have been modified and if I believed the **** that is being put into this thread it would make me want to purchase only factory reloaded ammunition too. The major gun manufacturers would have you believe that only factory ammunition is safe to shoot in any hand gun. I own two Glocks right now. Six months ago I wouldn't have given you $5 for one of them because I believed only in 1911's. The stock Glocks shoot ok but the trigger pull sucks big time and needs a helping hand. This can be changed with the correct parts...quality parts. Put **** parts in them and you end up with a **** gun and the same holds true of a 1911. There are roughly 18 Glocks in my family and ALL have been changed from stock and ALL perform very well. One has had several miss fires resulting from a light spring. This problem was corrected by changing to a softer primer with no more miss fires. I tend to believe that if you put junk parts into your Glock then the result is a faulty gun. Put good parts into it and its your friend.

Love Life
11-17-2013, 01:22 AM
Or you can leave it alone and it will work fine.

The stock trigger pull is not hard to master, and is not even a heavy pull.

Different strokes for different folks. Some like to modify them, and in justifying their modifying talk about issues that require one brand of primer....

Some choose to leave them be and live happily ever after.

No actual poo has been posted. Leaving Glocks alone is a good idea, and modifying them is a personal choice.

garym1a2
11-17-2013, 07:29 AM
I find Glocks can be greatly improved by just a few changes. My Glock 22 has a Storm Lake 40 barrel, it runs lead boolits like a dream. I went 15 months with no FTF in USPSA matches with it. That's at least 8000 rounds. The plastic guide-rod guide they come with is ****. I had mine fail on me. So all 3 of my glocks have steel ones.
My G22 and G35 also have 9mm conversion barrels, the G22 a Storm lake and the G35 a lone wolf. They work well also.
I like the 3.5 lb connector with extra power trigger springs, I also a stock striker spring as I hate federal primers.

I find the Glock OEM 40 cal barrels are not near as friendly on cast lead boolits as the storm lake and the KKM.

With my G21SF the stock barrel runs great,.

P.s., for those that think Glock's never fail, I have seen fails due to trigger spring break, guide-rod break and firing pin wear. They just take a lot more rounds downrange than most guns to fail.

6bg6ga
11-17-2013, 07:55 AM
Anything can and does fail given enough time. The Glocks are more forgiving than most brands are. You can drop them in the mud and turn around and shoot them. I've seen them run over with a truck and still function. I still do not like their trigger pull and never will simply because it doesn't feel natural. I don't like the internal setup and probably never will.

The only reason I carry one is the increased capacity of one over that of a 1911. Given the circumstances lately and the increased number of crazies out there I felt it necessary to have a carry gun that simply holds more rounds than my 6 of the Colt Officers I normally carry. I don't live in a large town but I'm within 10 miles or so of one and find it necessary to go deep into its bowels at times in some areas that I don't like.

I can easily qualify with the official target and distance at the range with about anything I put in my hands after firing several rounds to see how its sighted in. I've had no problem with the Glock or XD for that matter.

Personally I like the feel of a 3.5 lb trigger or less and I can live with a 3.5 on my carry Glock. I don't stay up nights wondering if the Glock will fail me if I really happen to need it. Those of you that are more comfortable with a 100% stock gun more power to you.

BruceB
11-17-2013, 10:59 AM
I went 15 months with no FTF in USPSA matches with it.

Failure to FEED?

Failure to FIRE?

Abbreviations that are subject to two or more interpretations are a waste of time and effort.

"FTE".... Failure to EXTRACT? Failure to EJECT? See what I mean?

Calamity Jake
11-17-2013, 11:38 AM
You guys can have your glocks, I will stick to my 1911s thank you

Love Life
11-17-2013, 12:04 PM
1911's are more streamlined and have cool factor for days. I have a Glock 36 on the way so maybe I'll get the best of both worlds!!

btroj
11-17-2013, 12:29 PM
A Glock, while ugly, is a useful tool. They will work in about any possible condition. They handle weather well.
I don't own one but have considered getting one. From a strictly utilitarian point of view a Glock is hard to beat.

Love Life
11-17-2013, 12:49 PM
A Glock is hard to beat for what it does, and like any gun, is money in the bank. Buy one and be happy.

W.R. Buchannan said it in a different post, but Glocks are easy guns to learn on and help learn the fundamentals.

No safety to worry about and consistent trigger pull. Draw, acquire target, squeeze, repeat. That simple.

No snicking off safeties (not really a big deal if you practice). I like the no safety thing, and the only handgun I own with a safety is a Colt Commander. Because of the Colt Commander I am always reaching for the safety on my Glocks....

ironhead7544
11-17-2013, 04:44 PM
Glocks are good to go. I dont modify them if used for CCW. For matches you might want some mods but then failure wont really hurt you. Even for matches, I might only put on Heinie sights.

garym1a2
11-17-2013, 05:49 PM
failure to function. Includes failure to feed, failure to go completely into battery, failure to fire, failure to extract.
Failure to FEED?

Failure to FIRE?

Abbreviations that are subject to two or more interpretations are a waste of time and effort.

"FTE".... Failure to EXTRACT? Failure to EJECT? See what I mean?

W.R.Buchanan
11-17-2013, 07:08 PM
I reinstalled my stock striker spring yesterday as I said I would in the first post. I left the trigger spring and firing pin safety springs alone as they don't do much of anything anyway and were not measurably different than the stock springs.

I measured the wire dia. in the Wolfe Striker Spring as compared to the Glock Striker spring. The Wolfe spring was spun from .024 wire, and the Glock spring was .026 wire.

Not much difference, but just enough to be a problem.

I should point out that the Wolfe spring kits specifically say that there could be reliability problems and not to use them for "duty" purposes.

Guess they were right. Back to normal.

My firing pin might be getting a little short. will have to keep and eye on that.

Randy

Rainier
11-19-2013, 02:26 AM
"Anything can and does fail given enough time." Really? Not bragging but I've got more rounds through my Glock 19 then some folks shoot in a lifetime and the blasted thing is still going. Conversely I'm on my 3rd trigger in my 1911 - still carry my 1911 cause I figure if I can't solve a problem with 8 rounds of .45 plus a mag backup, I shouldn't have got into the problem in the first place.
Just my two cents...

Hardcast416taylor
11-19-2013, 01:30 PM
Only did 2 after market add-ons to my Glock 21. I put the base plug in the grip bottom and had a LEO Glock certified armorer install a larger slide release bar. Have had no problems and don`t plan on changing anything else.Robert

MOcaster
11-22-2013, 12:29 AM
"Mashing" is when your shots go low to the left. This is caused by the fact that there is little difference in the take up pull and the let off pull on the trigger with the 3.5 lb. connector, and the take up and let off tend to run together and this motion tends to push the gun away from your firing hand. This throws shots low left.

This is not "mashing". This is poor trigger control. This is not specific to Glocks and other semi auto pistols, it is present in all guns. If you don't pull the trigger smoothly until it breaks and into the follow through, you are going to jerk the shot. I don't claim to be a great shot, but I was taught by one, one that has better trigger control in his weak hand ring finger than I do I my strong hand index finger. One thing that I always work on with him is a smooth, even trigger squeeze, and that is on any platform we're working with, be it a Glock or a high end 1911 (one of his) with an amazing trigger.

W.R.Buchanan
11-22-2013, 12:34 AM
Mashing is one of the "results" of poor trigger control. And it is not peculiar to Glocks, and it is not the only manifestation of poor trigger control.

But it is definitely one of the most seen problems.

Randy

Rainier
11-23-2013, 01:38 AM
Mashing is one of the "results" of poor trigger control. And it is not peculiar to Glocks, and it is not the only manifestation of poor trigger control.

But it is definitely one of the most seen problems.

Randy

From my limited experience it appears both you and MOcaster are correct. Seems like most "new" shooters want to get the perfect sight picture and "mash" the trigger = poor trigger control. It's kind of hard to get some new shooters to accept that the sight picture looks like it's moving all over God's half acre but the slow trigger pull until it breaks is by far more important. It's not exclusive to Glocks or any other gun, though the "mush bang" trigger of a Glock often doesn't help matters. With that said I've seen some new folks in the quest for the "perfect shot" shoot a 2 pound 1911 trigger low or low left. I'm of the opinion that there are more things to learn to accurately engage a target with a pistol then there is in a golf swing.
Just my two cents worth...