View Full Version : ?? on Case / Cartridge Gauges - How many use them?

bedbugbilly
11-10-2013, 08:04 PM
I'm getting ready to get my feet wet on reloading 9mm Luger. I'm just wondering how many of you use a "case gauge" or "cartridge gauge" such as those made by Wilson or Lyman?

I'm going to be using lead - and I realize I can do a "plop test" in the chamber of my SR9 barrel. It seems to me like a gauge would be a good "final test"? You could also inspect the primer seating again at the same time. So your thoughts on them? Are they worth the investment of $20?

I'm also wondering about the gauges for 38 special as well. I know that I have to check and make sure the reloads will fit my revolvers (I have six different 38s & 357 revolvers). If I load 'em and check them in a gauge (and they fit my cylinders) - is it a good way to do a final check or am I throwing $$ away on one for 38s?

It seems like a gauge would be pretty handy - handier than using a digital caliper to keep checking OAL, etc. Or are these items I should have been getting in the first place?

Your thoughts and or advice please . . . .

Thanks.

GRUMPA
11-10-2013, 08:24 PM
I use them all the time and I mean all the time, but of course I convert brass.

Here's the 1 I use for 300BLK conversions.
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=61836&d=1361389007

What I would use in your case would be a Chamber Gauge, that's all I've ever used for the 9mm cartridges.

MattOrgan
11-10-2013, 08:39 PM
You'll still need something to measure overall length, but case gauges are real helpful in checking to make sure your sizing die is set right and to make sure your loaded rounds will chamber in all of your firearms in the same chambering, especially handguns, but nice for auto loaders like .223, .308,and 06. I have Dillon, Midway, and Wilson. I prefer Wilson, primarily because their gauges have a groove that show minimum and maximum case dimensions. Keeps you from over sizing rifle cases. Doesn't hurt that they are only an hour away.........

williamwaco
11-10-2013, 08:42 PM
I use a caliper for measuring case length.
I have never owned a case length gauge.

Maybe when I get a little more experience I will decide it is a good idea.
I have only been loading for 56 years.

BruceB
11-10-2013, 08:45 PM
I use a cartridge gauge for EVERY SINGLE ROUND that I load for any of my autoloaders. That means any cartridge loaded on my bench for .223/5.56, .308/7.62 NATO, .30'06, 9mm, .45 ACP.... all of them are checked in the gauge as the last step before boxing for storage. (Reminds me.... I have to get one for .30 Carbine now.) The gauge is also used to adjust the sizing die as needed before starting a production run.

If any round fails the gauge check, I usually just deep-six it.... I don't see much value in messing with one round.

It's far better to detect a problem BEFORE that particular cartridge is loaded into the firearm.

My non-autoloaders seem to make out just fine without gauging, although if I happen to have the gauge to match one of the hand-cranked guns I will sometimes use it. Generally, if the rounds chamber correctly I'm happy. For hunting loads, every round is test-functioned in the rifle before the trip.

I applaud your good sense in asking this question. The twenty dollars or so for each gauge is about the best insurance we can buy for having RELIABLE ammunition.

William's comment above reflects a common misapprehension... a "cartridge gauge" is NOT the same as a case-length gauge . The cartridge gauge DOES give us a reading on case length, since it is precisely the proper length for the case in question. BUT... the cartridge gauge also is the same internal shape and dimensions as a correct chamber of that caliber. This means that almost ANY deviation in the cartridge from the correct chamber shape will cause the gauge to reject the deviant cartridge. This is the true value of the gauge.

(I've been loading and casting for about fifty years, myself. Still don't have or need a hardness tester or lead thermometer... but cartridge gauges... oh yeah!)

bedbugbilly
11-10-2013, 09:50 PM
Thank you! I guess that answers what I suspected and an order will be going out tomorrow. My whole point in getting set up in re-loading was to be able to make cartridges that were consistent and give the best results I could get. I'm sure I'll make my share of mistakes during the "learning stage" but when I started looking at the gauges, they just seemed to make sense - and as mentioned - good "insurance". Sort of the old saying I have always lived by - "measure twice, cut once". I still have my micrometer and digital calipers but I can see how a gauge, especially on the 9mm Luger, would probably be one of the most used things on the bench when reloading that caliber. I doubt at this stage of my life I will ever be reloading rifle ammo but I also said that about 9mm. :-) Thanks very much - your help is greatly appreciated!

oldandslow
11-10-2013, 10:54 PM
bbb, 11/11/13

I case gauge all my pistol rounds (9mm, 45acp) as I have a number of pistols for which these rounds must work. The most common "reject" reason is the base of the case begins to bulge. These cartridges get marked with a Sharpie black marker and are fired one last time and then tossed. If the round fails to feed then I know it's an ammo problem and not a mag/pistol problem. I don't case gauge my revolver rounds- if they fit into the cylinder then they're good to go. I also don't case gauge my rifle rounds. Good luck.

best wishes- oldandslow

Riverpigusmc
11-10-2013, 11:41 PM
I use one for my .45 ACP rounds...any that don't pass the case gauge get set aside for a pass through the FCD

Kanitz8541
11-11-2013, 02:17 AM
I have mixed feelings. I use dillon case gauges. You have to have good lighting and a very sharp eye. Once I have set the die and sizing I start testing and some pass and some fail. They still all seem to chamber and seat properly. If the case is way off it obviously won't work but that rarely ever happens.

bld451
11-13-2013, 01:37 PM
Got the JP's for 223 and 308. Great tools. Nice thing is after a while you can do the chamber check by feel on the back end. Goes pretty fast. Just plop one in, run my finger over the end and I can feel if it doesn't chamber or if a primer is not seated deep enough or upside down (or missing!). Then flip it up-side-down over the "good" bin, and if they don't fall out, I investigate. (usually a ding in the rim that I can remove with a stroke of a file) OAL, I have enough room in my magazines that if the crimp is in the cannelure, I'm good. I check case oal and headspace samples before loading. Not quite such a chore to check chambering while I'm watching Phil, Si, Jase and the boys... :) Pretty good track record without the gauges up until I got a tight chambered 308 and had some stuck (really stuck live rounds) rounds at a match. That is one trick to be sure you don't ever do THAT again.... Since I became a 100% chamber checker, not one issue. Seems I have gone up the scale of volume and speed, but I find myself adding ops these days. Takes longer, but I don't seem to shoot as much now, and the end product is that much better. When the kids are old enough to go to matches with me and shoot, I hope to have enough ammo to last a little while. :o/

jmorris
11-14-2013, 09:34 AM
I loaded for years without them and still do for some of the ammunition I load. However, I case gauge every round I fire in competition.

nicholst55
11-14-2013, 09:44 AM
I use a good deal of milsurp brass in .223/5.56 and .308/7.62 - nearly all of it fired in machine guns. Simply running a piece of brass through my FL sizing die, or even an SB sizing die, doesn't guarentee that the case is fully sized. Some folks that I know of size machine gun brass three different times for the initial loading! The only way that you can determine that the brass is completely sized is by dropping it into a case gage - or chambering it in your rifle. Since it's not always practical or desirable to chamber 1,000 (or more) pieces of brass in the rifle(s) that I plan to shoot them in, the gage gets the nod.

FWIW, I have case gages by Lyman, Dillon, and L.E. Wilson; I prefer the Wilson gages.

Rattlesnake Charlie
11-14-2013, 05:44 PM
Every single round I load goes through a Wilson cartridge gauge.

Since I started this, my ammo works in just about every firearm fired in. You'll still have those that have big problems. I also watch OAL to ensure they will feed OK.