PDA

View Full Version : Looking for someone in Indiana to mentor me on deer hunting.

Sgtonory
11-10-2013, 04:52 PM
Want to start to hunt and never have before. Looking for someone closeish to Hamilton Co. But willing to travel a few hrs. Thanks for any help.

Boyscout
11-10-2013, 05:23 PM
Little too late to start up for this season as I have a novice with me next week. Perhaps meeting up for some range time or some casting and go from there. I'm on the east side of Indy and 15 minutes from Fishers when it's not rush hour. Squirrel season is a great time to learn, pre-scout and learn safe gun handling in a hunting situation. You have ample opportunities to take game without the added pressure of big game and antlers. It can be a big jump from paper to game for some. And most of us gaurd "our spots" before sharing them with someone we don't know.

My father and other mentors were always big on safety and etiquette. Etiquette Rule #1: Nothing is worse than taking over a spot that someone has taken you to and pushing them out even if it is public land. Punishment: Immediate excommunication! Looks like a good topic for a new thread. Anyone want to run with it.

That being said, if you have access to some place and want someone to help you figure it out. That is something I would do for a new hunter even if I wasn't invited to hunt the land. Hunter/landowner relations can be tough enough. I lost 385 acres to Hunting leasing agent out of Fishers about 7 years ago after hunting there 12 years. $5000 a year was too rich for me.

Sgtonory
11-10-2013, 05:37 PM
Meeting up to shoot would be great. I shoot at a range in Elwood.

Boyscout
11-10-2013, 08:08 PM
I spent several weeks up there at Camp Kithewened (SP?) with the Webelos and numerous Boyscout camping trips over the years. Had a couple of customers I called on in Elwood about 12 years ago.

Sgtonory
11-10-2013, 08:39 PM
What range do you use?

Boyscout
11-11-2013, 03:42 AM
When I can shoot, Atterbury. I did go to Wilbur Wright near New Castle last month and may start using it more. I also belong to an indoor range on the east side of Indy called Pop's Guns where I shoot pistol.

Years ago I used the Atlanta Gun Club but could not justify the cost. At the time, they had a lot of safety issues.