PDA

View Full Version : Forster Co-Ax Reloading Press

Tamitch
11-10-2013, 03:31 PM
I'm going to purchase a Forster Co-Ax reloading from Brownells. I know it's allot of money but I'll be getting a great press in the bargain too! The only bad point about the press is their system of seating new primers. Those of you that have this press; what do you use to seat new primers?

Thank You for any information you can pass along!

TAMitch
Danville, IL.

Moon Wolf
11-10-2013, 03:49 PM
Congratulations on your choice. I purchased a Co-Ax press 42 years ago when they were still made by Bonanza. I've loaded thousands of rounds on it and also primed a like number of rounds using it. Personally I like the priming system on the press. It seats primers consistently to the same depth. I've used the priming systems on the Rock Chucker, RCBS Junior, Lyman's old turret press, and on the Lee Classic cast press. I don't like them nearly as well. I'd give the priming system on the Co-Ax a try. You may like it. If you don't, several companies make hand priming tools that work.

r1kk1
11-10-2013, 04:02 PM
I'm waiting for mine to ship from Sinclair/Brownell also.

Can't wait!

Take care

r1kk1

brtelec
11-10-2013, 04:21 PM
As we told r1kk1 these are great presses and worth the money. As Moon Wolf said the priming system is one of the greatest features. It is also nice not to have spent primers on the floor. The primer catcher system is very well thought out. Powerful for full length resizing and always in perfect alignment. I love my Co-Ax.

Expat74
11-10-2013, 04:54 PM
I can only second the above.. use the press. Consistent, correct depth every time. If you insist not priming on the press, Forster makes a primer seater which seems not bad. Check http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l8DbeQsjQdk

Overall, it's a great press and I don't use a hand primer. The time it takes me to put in another shellholder in the hand tool, I fix the seater system to another shell size.

country gent
11-10-2013, 08:45 PM
I have used my coax for many years now (was a present from my wife). I always looked at them checked the price fondled them whenever I seen one. I really like it the most of all my presses its features and set up are ahead of most others.now shell holders to deal with, priming is done out in the open and adjustable or can be done by feel. Very accurate and solid. very little spring to it. Only drawback is some bullet pullers, sizers lubricators and tooling that has top levers may not work with the overhead lever on the coax. I have Lee (mounted c-frame), rcbs rockchucker, Lyman oarnge crusher, A portable I made, Dillon 650s, and an old unknown press I got in a box of stuff at an auction. For rifle the coax is mounted up more than the others. The oarnge crusher I used for case reforming due to plain brute strength. I may set the rockchucker up for this and dedicate the oarnge crusher to swaging PP lead bullets from slugs cast in my brooks mold. The lee press is used with push thru sizers as its very open and fast. WHile they are expensive you get what you pay for with the coax.

milprileb
11-11-2013, 09:01 AM
I own two Co Ax. Took a long time till I finally realized my 1970 Rock Chucker was perhaps not the ticket for absolutely finest rifle reloading tasks for 1000 yd shooting.
The Co Ax, Forster bench rest match dies and the results on 1000 yd line are satisfying.

That said, I think its primer seating system is a joke and I use a bench type RCBS priming tool . Buy a Co Ax for all things it brings but don't buy it for that nonsense of seating primers to certain depths. If a primer is not seated fully and flush to bottom of primer pocket, the firing pin hits primer and that strike is buffered / cushioned by the primer as that primer is slammed to bottom of primer pocket in case. That means two things: inconsistent ignition and often light primer strikes .

Called Forster on all of that: they could not debate the facts on primers needing got be seated flush to bottom of pocket.

Have I seen a difference using a Co Ax and Forster bench rest match seating die for cast bullets : YES , very much so. Its made 300 yd rifle cast bullet shooting very accurate.

Dan Cash
11-11-2013, 09:17 AM
I too have 2 Co-Ax presses on the bench with a Rock Chucker gathering dust under the bench. If cases are not destined for the progressive reloader then they are primed on a Co-Ax primer seating tool. I also form .300 Sav cases from .308 Win or 7.62 military brass. The Co-Ax does that job with ease; can't say about other caliber conversions.

jakharath
11-11-2013, 04:57 PM
I'll sing along with the choir. I love my Co-Ax!

tunnug
11-11-2013, 07:23 PM
About 20 yrs ago +/- when I was starting to get into loading my own I bought someone's complete loading bench and it came with a Bonanza (Forster), used it for many years until I moved into the progressives, I still use it for rifle and some pistol.
A few years ago I was walking around a local swapmeet (fleamarket) and I spot a newer Forster among the clothing and whatnot the guy is selling, I pick it up and ask how much? the guy says five bucks, I ask him if he knows what it is and he says "Yup, Loader", I say "Do you know what these are worth and all you want is five bucks?" he says "Yup", so now I've got two set up.

williamwaco
11-11-2013, 07:38 PM
I think you will change your mind about the primer seating.

MT Chambers
11-11-2013, 07:41 PM
The only thing wrong with the priming feature on my Forster Co-ax is the initial setup to prime, you must use the tool supplied to set the "jaws" for width, and then install the primer post, either the small rifle or large rifle, but once you are setup, it's very positive and precise!

Dan Cash
11-11-2013, 08:12 PM
The only thing wrong with the priming feature on my Forster Co-ax is the initial setup to prime, you must use the tool supplied to set the "jaws" for width, and then install the primer post, either the small rifle or large rifle, but once you are setup, it's very positive and precise!

Say what???? Set the jaws with a de-primed case and an allen wrench. If you have the older version, use a standard shell holder.

357Ruger
11-12-2013, 12:31 PM
I own two Co Ax. Took a long time till I finally realized my 1970 Rock Chucker was perhaps not the ticket for absolutely finest rifle reloading tasks for 1000 yd shooting.
The Co Ax, Forster bench rest match dies and the results on 1000 yd line are satisfying.

That said, I think its primer seating system is a joke and I use a bench type RCBS priming tool . Buy a Co Ax for all things it brings but don't buy it for that nonsense of seating primers to certain depths. If a primer is not seated fully and flush to bottom of primer pocket, the firing pin hits primer and that strike is buffered / cushioned by the primer as that primer is slammed to bottom of primer pocket in case. That means two things: inconsistent ignition and often light primer strikes .

Called Forster on all of that: they could not debate the facts on primers needing got be seated flush to bottom of pocket.

Have I seen a difference using a Co Ax and Forster bench rest match seating die for cast bullets : YES , very much so. Its made 300 yd rifle cast bullet shooting very accurate.

I'm not sure if your Co-ax is different from mine or if you never actually tried the primer seating function. I am not limited to a depth, at least not before I can practically crush the primer down flat. The design doesn't put a half moon on primers that seat hard like some do as the punches fit the primer very precisely.

That said I use the Co-ax priming tool (not the top of the press) or 21st Century priming tool as one at a time on the press is only good for small batches.

paul h
11-12-2013, 08:45 PM
Love my co-ax. I use a hand priming tool so haven't had any issues with the co-ax priming tool.