PDA

View Full Version : Noob question: How do do this safely, yet inexpensively?

manithree
11-10-2013, 01:58 PM
I don't cast yet, but my nephew has given me several hundred wheel weight Lee 356-125-2R boolits so my son can do a science project comparing lubes (hope this is the correct sub-forum). We're going to chronograph the same load using different lubes, and photograph the bore to compare cleanliness.

We have some Alox-lubed and a couple of batches of powder coated (lacquer thinner method and dry tumbled). The PCs measure .359-.360.

Here's my quandary. I don't know if it's safe to shoot bullets that big in my CZ 75 SP-01.

I could slug the bore. But I would have to buy a brass rod, lead, and a micrometer. Or I could just buy a sizing die, guess at a .357 or .358, and keep that for when I do start casting. I don't really care about the Nth degree of accuracy, just safety. Or I could find someone who shoots powder coated boolits that size in a CZ barrel to reassure me it won't explode. Or other options I haven't considered yet.

I'm still saving up for my pot and molds, so anything I spend now probably won't be completely wasted, but I would like to finish up this science project without spending any more than is really necessary.

So, any suggestions are welcomed.

BTW, this is Utah. He's won his school competition once, and gone to the regional fair twice with re-loading projects. So if you feel the need to discourage us from a project that will scare hopolophobes and potentially affect his grade, it's not going to work. It's altogether within the rules, and acceptable here.

Thanks!

Sweetpea
11-10-2013, 02:26 PM
What part of Utah are you in?

You're going to need to see if they will chamber... If they will chamber, they're not too big to shoot.

There may be a member nearby willing to help.

Brandon

manithree
11-10-2013, 06:21 PM
I'm in Orem.

I'll start adjusting my dies and do a plunk test.

manithree
12-19-2013, 11:15 AM
Just to follow up, they did chamber, and shot very cleanly. We had some mild leading with the Alox lubed bullets, but the bore was SHINY and clean after 50 rounds of PC. Right around 1000 fps average over 3.7g of AA #2. My son got an A on the project.

Thanks!

MtGun44
12-27-2013, 01:34 AM
try .358 and see if it will chamber. If so, shoot.

Bill