PDA

View Full Version : Officially a Floridian - Arrived in Port Orange

DukeInFlorida
11-10-2013, 07:31 AM
I arrived in Port Orange, with my son, each of us driving a rental truck with a vehicle in tow, at 11:30 PM on this past Tuesday (11/5). So, I am officially in Florida. Have emptied a bunch of boxes, but am still exhausted, from the preparation for the move, the long two day drive, and the stress of the move.

I can't begin to express my love and appreciation for my two kids. My daughter, when realizing that the packing for the move was going too slow for the departure day, took her week off from work to drive up from Long Island, NY to Maine to assist with the final packing. And, my son for providing me with endless help and support for the past two weeks, including the longest drive of his life (first time driving such a big truck, with a vehicle in tow). Even though I hired movers for both ends of the move, my son pitched in to make the process go faster, and cost his dad less $$$. Thank you, Pam and Eric.

My appointment with the Mayo Clinic in Jacksonville for Monday has been rescheduled (by them) because I don't have any insurance in place yet. Their option was for me to pay them $5000 in cash, which I don't have. At least Dana Farber in Boston was willing to carry me on the books until the insurance (Medicaide) was in place. So, hoping my medical situation doesn't change much between now and the end of the year.

But, the important part is that I am here. No more snow. I'm happy to be here, and unpacking & settling in is at the top of the list. Just wanted to give everyone an update.

chuckbuster
11-10-2013, 07:45 AM
Good to hear Duke,
Time to get the guns unpacked and find a range! :)
KDK

mainiac
11-10-2013, 08:33 AM
snowing this mornin,,,road is all white,,,,,,,,,,guess you made it south at the right time.....

justing
11-10-2013, 09:00 AM
welcome to my neck of the woods, there is a great free outdoor shooting range in the ocala national forest should be fairly close to ya.

Ajax
11-10-2013, 09:27 AM
Awesome glad to hear ya made it safe and welcome to your new home.

Andy

NoZombies
11-10-2013, 11:14 AM
Welcome to FL Duke.

I was in Port Orange yesterday for a wedding, nice little place. Lots of gun shops in the area, and a few decent ranges. St. Augustine is a lot of fun for a day trip as well.

Finster101
11-10-2013, 11:22 AM
Welcome to Florida Duke! I think you are going to like these southern winters. We have a pretty gun friendly state. Hope you are feeling well enough to get out an enjoy after you have rested up a bit.

James

blademasterii
11-10-2013, 01:16 PM
Welcome to florida. Ditch the pants, dig out the shorts, find you some flip-flops ( No socks) that are comfy and welcome to year round whatever you want to do activities. Enjoy our castle doctrin, stand your ground and shall issue class 3 and ccw's. Judicious use of all is appreciated. If you can be there legally and its not on your ccw prohibited places list, you can be there carrying. Enjoy the sunshine, endure the rain, scoff at the cold and welcome to the retirement state. :D Ps, There really is no high ground in florida, so if told to get there look for something man made.

2wheelDuke
11-10-2013, 05:13 PM
Welcome to FL. I may be up your way in a couple weeks for a quota hunt. I was considering dropping by the Florida Gun Exchange in Port Orange, plus my cousin in in Port Orange.

starmac
11-10-2013, 05:35 PM
You are going to get bored, I just finished shoveling snow for the first time this year. lol

garym1a2
11-10-2013, 08:08 PM
couple nice clubs in the area.

http://volusiacountygunandhuntclub.com/index.html

http://www.pmrpc.com/

DRNurse1
11-10-2013, 09:04 PM
Enjoy the state, and be well Duke in Florida transplanted from Maine. I lived west of Orlando for 10 years then the Boss (my better half) wanted to move back North for the seasons she missed.

My Dad is still on the West coast north of Tampa and I have the opportunity to visit periodically. Pack your bug out bag with one to two weeks of supplies and learn the alternate routes inland and North (My Dad visits his brother in TN when the weather is 3 days out).

Wind is the biggest weather problem I ran into down there so keep your outdoor stuff to a minimum or secured. The neat thing I learned was inground pools can be your friend in weather so buy lawn stuff that is chlorine proof (toss stuff that is chlorine and water proof in the pool then fish it out after the weather clears).

Stay safe and get healthy in the wonderful Florida sunshine.

willie_pete
11-10-2013, 09:27 PM
Also a nice range in Titusville and Orlando.

WP

willie_pete
11-10-2013, 09:30 PM
Welcome to FL Duke.

I was in Port Orange yesterday for a wedding, nice little place. Lots of gun shops in the area, and a few decent ranges. St. Augustine is a lot of fun for a day trip as well.

I bet there was a railroad car sitting out front.

WP

willie_pete
11-10-2013, 09:32 PM
When you get settled check out Florida Gun Exchange in Port Orange and Holly Hill.

WP

smoked turkey
11-10-2013, 11:56 PM
Glad you made it Duke. Also hoping that your insurance all works out good. Yes those kids can be a great help and at just the right time. Sounds like yours are good ones too! We just returned from a few days around Orlando. We enjoyed the trip, the beautiful scenery and brought back a bushel of really nice and sweet oranges. We took an air boat ride in the northern Everglades and saw several alligators, walked a couple of miles on Daytona Beach, and ofcourse had to do Epcot. Also took in a big flea market in a small town west of Orlando. All in all a very fun trip.