PDA

View Full Version : Tumble vs Conventional Lube boolit design for 45-70-4xx?

Walstr
11-10-2013, 12:20 AM
Sorry, but I couldn't find your age old discussions & results of using Tumble Lube Grooves versus [fewer] Conventional Grooves, to be Tumble Lubed, let's presume with Delux Xlox [45-45-10].

I'm inclined to design a 45-70-430, 70% Meplat, Tangential Ogive boolit mould, using Tumble Lube Grooves. I understand how the 'fewer groove, longer drive band' concept can be quite valid. I envision too much lead in contact with rifling & too little lube with this design.

Seems to me the ratio of driving bands to lube grooves in the Tumble Lube design would provide suitable/good stability, traveling thru the barrel. But then I cannot really visualize the centripetal forces acting on the lube in either design regarding internal ballistics, all within 2 milliseconds! Your real life experiences will guide me. Thanks in advance for your efforts to address this quandary.

Wally

btroj
11-10-2013, 12:33 AM
Why make a new design when this one works so well?

http://noebulletmolds.com/NV/product_info.php?cPath=42&products_id=396&osCsid=ftdo6jm3cvv1629akp8a1bvmb0

Use a traditional lube and go to town. Great design, easy to make it shoot well, plenty heavy and enough flat nose for anything I need it to do.

Airman Basic
11-10-2013, 07:42 AM
Quick ? What handles fit NOE molds?

btroj
11-10-2013, 09:24 AM
Lee 6 Cav handles.

Walstr
11-10-2013, 10:34 AM
Why make a new design when this one works so well?

http://noebulletmolds.com/NV/product_info.php?cPath=42&products_id=396&osCsid=ftdo6jm3cvv1629akp8a1bvmb0

Use a traditional lube and go to town. Great design, easy to make it shoot well, plenty heavy and enough flat nose for anything I need it to do.

Thanks, but it's too short for my chamber; I need at least a .5" nose with my brass. Are you using the Lee 'push up' to resize method, or shoot them out of the mould? What's your lube method & recipe, if you don't mind sharing personal information.

TXGunNut
11-10-2013, 10:50 AM
Don't have one good answer; my Guide Gun likes the Ranch Dog 460-350 lubed with LLA and my Sharps likes the Lyman 457125 lubed with SPG. RD boolits go thru the Lee sizer and the Lyman boolits go thu a Lyman sizer.

btroj
11-10-2013, 11:04 AM
I size mine with my Star. I have used many different lubes. I used Carnuba red on a few that killed bears. I have found that this bullet in my Marlin is pretty happy with about any lube. Most of mine are cast from range scrap with a very small amount of monotype added. They are around 16 BHn and even with the plain base it gives good results up to 1600 fps. What isn't to like?

As for the nose too short, too short for what? Mine are perfect for my Marlin. I don't think having the nose right up to the rifling is a big deal in most 45-70s.

jmort
11-10-2013, 11:25 AM
I like the TL design. Not a majority position. I use 45/45/10 and Alox. I have a few TL molds and all work well and are more likely to work as cast in my opinion. I like the Ranch Dog designs. As in most everything get what you like and what works for you.

JimP.
11-10-2013, 04:02 PM
i use a bullet you will like, bore rider, with huge meplat, can be ordered with gc or plain based. bullet mold from neihandtools.com bullet 458-505-GC. i use the bullet with a plain base and unsized with Lee alox at 1500 fps in my 45-70 Handi rifle, and 1300 fps in my infantry 1873 trapdoor rifle. you should hear and watch this bullet slap the steel gong, first time it knocked the gong over pulling the stakes out.....wow....exploded gallon milk jug filled with water...i like this bullet...JimP.