PDA

View Full Version : Taurus warranty question

dualsport
11-09-2013, 11:57 PM
My nephew bought a Taurus Tracker .357 used from a LGS several years ago. Somethings wrong with it. I suspect it's to do with the stupid 'lock' it has and his lack of a key. To cock it you have to push the cylinder release back. It'll actually fire but the crane isn't locked in at all! He's complained about lousy accuracy, now I know why. Is there a way to turn the lock without a proper key? Will Taurus' lifetime guaranty cover any repairs? I told him do not attempt to shoot it again until it's checked out.

justing
11-10-2013, 01:48 AM
i think i got a spare key if you wanna try that first

waksupi
11-10-2013, 01:56 AM
Ah, Taurus. The gun that comes pre-broke when you buy them. They should warrant it. Get it fixed, get rid of it, and buy good guns in the future.

Lonegun1894
11-10-2013, 03:26 AM
I had hell with mine, Taurus refused to fix it, so sold it, added a bit, and called them to tell then I fixed their *** by selling it and buying a Ruger. Don't think they were happy with me, but so be it. For what it's worth, my Taurus shot great for the first 10K rds, but when it went bad, it wasn't a gradual decline, instead it just went to hell very quickly. I hope the one y'all are having trouble with gets fixed, but you know my solution.

AlaskanGuy
11-10-2013, 08:02 AM
I love mine... Had my model 44 for 15 years with not a sliver of issues... Mine has the first version of the trigger lock, but i rarely use the lock.... The times i use it, it seems to work just fine. It is my go to gun for bear defense.

Alaskan

Stonecrusher
11-10-2013, 11:30 AM
Ah, Taurus. The gun that comes pre-broke when you buy them. They should warrant it. Get it fixed, get rid of it, and buy good guns in the future.

+10. I have only bought one new Taurus and it was one too many. A few years ago I bought a 990 Tracker .22LR. I couldn't even sight it in, so I sent it back. Shipping was on them by the way. I got it back and it was corrected but they also said they fixed a couple of other problems. They did something for sure because on one cylinder you couldn't pull the hammer back. I broke it open to see what it was and was really surprised. A cap pistol has better looking internals. So's I fix that there problem, it was the cylinder stop, and promptly sold it. I picked up a 4-screw K-22 for about $45 more than I paid for the 990 and it is 10 times the gun.
Taurus is cheaper for a reason, all of their parts are designed to work with little to no hand fitting. when you get a gun with all parts at one end of the tolerance you have problems. Some of their guns I have seen are quite good but I can't trust them myself.

SawmillJack
11-10-2013, 11:52 AM
I bought the 627 Tracker .357 last year. I haven't had any problems h\with it at all. I will say though that it falls far from the quality of a S&W. The trigger pull is terrible and I don't think I'll ever get used to it.

dualsport
11-10-2013, 12:56 PM
Thanks for the suggestions and key offer. I will take it to a gunsmith for my nephew, he's a lot busier than I am. If that doesn't help I'll try 'justing's' key. Maybe my nephew left it half locked (?) before he lost the key years ago. I suppose it's possible the thing aint broke, just disabled by my nephew.

Guesser
11-10-2013, 03:41 PM
I've never owned a Taurus semi auto but I do own 9 Taurus revolvers, some I bought used, some new. I have never experienced a problem with any one of them. My chamberings range from 32 to 44 Magnum; all flawless function and they look and feel good. Two of them have over 12000 rounds each of hand loads thru them. Go Taurus!!!!!

dmize
11-10-2013, 10:13 PM
Taurus is getting close to month number 8 of being in possession of my 480 Raging Bull.
Wanna take a guess on how long I plan on owning it when/if it gets back?

Lonegun1894
11-11-2013, 12:16 AM
Ooh, Ooh, pick me, pick me, pick me? Um, MUCH less than 8 months?

AlaskanGuy
11-11-2013, 02:11 AM
Dmize, You just pm me when you get it back... I will gladly take it off your hands... I been wanting one of them..... If we can come up with a fair price before then... ThAt would be gravy...

Alaskan

dualsport
11-11-2013, 12:58 PM
I had to pull it apart, couldn't resist. The problem is the plunger doodad sticking out of the front of the extractor is sticking in when the cylinder/crane is shut. Tried cleaning it, lubed it, no use. Still thinking about next move. It's a small problem but leaves the gun locked up.

warf73
11-12-2013, 06:31 AM
Send it back make them fix it. Not sure why some folks repairs are taking 8+ months and others are taking less than 90 days.

dsmjon
11-12-2013, 09:40 AM
I've dealt with Taurus a LOT while working at a LGS. Their repair turnaround varies GREATLY. Some would take a week, while one in particular took over a year!

I learned quickly that it either took a few "nice" phone calls, or a couple not so nice to get results.

I would strongly recommend documenting when and with whom you speak. Use that info in follow up calls. Unfortunately, they seem to be one of those companies where it takes a squeaky wheel to get some grease.

TCStehle
11-12-2013, 11:55 AM
Ah Taurus, the box of chocolates of the firearms world. I've probably shot a thousand rounds through 1996 Taurus Mdl-66 without a single problem. Bought a Mdl-738 TCP .380 online last month, got it home from the FFL and discovered it didn't have a firing pin installed!! Sent it to Taurus and had it back in about 10 days including the shipping both directions.

I think the US manufactured guns like the TCP have a much faster turn around time for repairs compared to the guns made in Brazil.

4rdwhln
11-12-2013, 02:11 PM
Let me tell ya a story. I purchased a 24-7 from a pawn shop a couple of years ago for an early Christmas present to me. I should have looked it over better. It looked almost new and the magazines had no wear on the followers and were squeeky clean. First trip out to shoot it and it shot way left at any distance. It was at this time I noticed the front sight set screw was rounded out,and there was no way to remove it or move the sight. Oh well I figured I would get it to a gunsmith and all would be well. Fast forward to the next range trip still shooting to the left however after 3-4 shots the gun locked up almost in battery but not quite. I pulled on the slide as hard as I could and it would not budge. After a few minutes of wondering what to do, Not much for tools with me and not much interested in taking a semi loaded gun home to deal with, It came to me. So I crawled under the shooting bench and while pointing the gun down range I hammered the back of the slide into the edge of the concrete shooting bench till it was in battery. It took a love tap or 2 and finally a decent smack to get it there. Then I figured it might open back up the get the round out of it. No luck so I touched the round off and sent the gun to Taurus for repair. I was amazed at the response and how quickly I got the gun back. The letter inside said that both the barrel and frame had cracks and were replaced they also replaced all the parts inside the frame and trigger group. My only complaint is the barrel they used has a nasty divot where they put the serial number. The inside looked fine just a cosmetic issue. I will agree that the trigger leaves lots to be desired. However they seem to stand behind what they make.