PDA

View Full Version : powder coat bullets?

shaper
11-09-2013, 10:19 PM
Talked to a member on here a couple days ago. He gave me some pointers on powder coating my cast bullets. Tried it out today. From what I think I heard, you do not need to lube after powder caoting, and they can be pushed to a higher velocity, and some other things I don't understand yet. So I took some pictures of the process that you might want to see.
First step, I had to build a holder for the bullets, so I used a aluminum clip board that had been laying in my way, and drilled some holes in it about 1 inch spacing. The hole should be just big enough for the nose to stand into without falling over, but not so big that the bullet will drop through. I am using a 30 cal. so each cal. would have a different size hole.
I put legs on the plate so it would have circulation around it and give me some place to hold on to, and a place to put the groiund wire. I sprayed the exposed area of the bullets with Mirror Red powder using a low KV . I then put it in the oven and set the temp for 400 deg. Once the bullets got to 350 deg. I set my timer for 15 minutes and lowered the temp. I need to say here that I don't care what the temp in the oven is. It can go to 500 deg. and I still don't care. I have a inferred temp gun. When my parts get to my target temp of 350 deg. I reset the oven temp so the parts will stay at my target temp. The instructions on the box of my powder said to cure it at 400 deg. for 10 mnutes. But 400 may be too high for the lead, so I cure it at 350 deg. for 15 minutes and get the same results. After my timer goes off I open the door and let it cool down before touchinbg anything. When cold just turn it over and the coated bullets fall off.
Simple right. So now my son n law will run his tests and tell me if it works for him.
If you want a little more info just let me know.

RED333
11-09-2013, 11:02 PM
Why did you not put the gas check on?
Are they not needed?
I should go and read the powder coat thread.
Any way, nice set up and good job.

retread
11-09-2013, 11:09 PM
A lot of your questions can be answer by looking a this thread:

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?171403-Powder-Coating-Boolits&highlight=powder+coating

bangerjim
11-10-2013, 01:32 PM
And this.......http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?209151-Powder-Coating-101-Electrostatic-Method

banger

firefly1957
11-10-2013, 05:26 PM
I have been using the wet method of powder coating my bullets so far i have been impressed i will be getting the powder coat sprayer by the end of the year . I have shot 30 caliber 170 gr cast bullets from a 10" contender with and without gas checks at 25 yds they group together velocity is 1300 f/s.

bangerjim
11-10-2013, 08:03 PM
I have been using the wet method of powder coating my bullets so far i have been impressed i will be getting the powder coat sprayer by the end of the year . I have shot 30 caliber 170 gr cast bullets from a 10" contender with and without gas checks at 25 yds they group together velocity is 1300 f/s.

If you like the liquid method......you will LOVE the perfect beautiful smooth boolits you get with ES PC!

banger.

sparkz
11-10-2013, 09:16 PM
Pat did you use some special coat? or the stuff around the shop?
they look "red for sure" haha sorta cool looking and easy to find

Like to know how well the work for you too,,

Patrick

shaper
11-10-2013, 11:36 PM
[QUOTE=sparkz;2470828]Pat did you use some special coat? or the stuff around the shop?
they look "red for sure" haha sorta cool looking and easy to find

Like to know how well the work for you too,,

Hi Patrick. If you want, I'll send you some to test in that Winchester. The powder isn't something special. I have over 140 colors in stock, just pulled something off the shelf. How about a set in Illusion Purple? I was thinking, how would a textured powder work? Maybe a black wrinkle? I do have 31 different blacks in stock.

firefly1957
11-11-2013, 05:36 PM
Bangerjiim That is what others have told me "the sprayer is better" I just tried the wet method to see how it works and have been impressed so far with a couple hundred fired . I have shot 30,38,& 45 calibers so far. I plan to lube some powder coated bullets to see in the velocity is the same.

Shaper How much is the powder coat you have and your source or are you a retailer? I have one company bookmarked but they are quite high for a small amount.

bretNorCal
11-11-2013, 07:21 PM
Harbor Freight is cheapest at about $5/pound but they only seem to have black, yellow, white and red. Columbia Coatings (http://www.columbiacoatings.com/store/c/72-Powders.aspx) is about $10/pound and has a vast selection of colors. Aside from Harbor Freight I have not found a cheaper price than Columbia Coatings.

For a cheap EC powder gun that does not require an air compressor the old Sears Craftsman one is for sale on Ebay (http://www.ebay.com/usr/ucanpowdercoat2). Apparently someone bought the factory out when it became discontinued. They run $60-65 and do perform well for what they are.

shaper
11-11-2013, 09:02 PM
Bangerjiim That is what others have told me "the sprayer is better" I just tried the wet method to see how it works and have been impressed so far with a couple hundred fired . I have shot 30,38,& 45 calibers so far. I plan to lube some powder coated bullets to see in the velocity is the same.

Shaper How much is the powder coat you have and your source or are you a retailer? I have one company bookmarked but they are quite high for a small amount.

I use Powder 365 .com They will sell you as little as 1/2 pound. good people to deal with. There is Powder buy the pound also.

firefly1957
11-12-2013, 06:38 PM
Thank you