PDA

View Full Version : Powder for standard .45 Colt that burns CLEAN....?

Deep Six
11-09-2013, 09:16 PM
I was out shooting my 45 convertible Blackhawk Bisley (large frame) today. Using 230 and 255 gr cast boolits, I found some pretty decent ~20,000 psi loads with Unique, AA#7, and Blue Dot. However, I can't seem to find a powder for the "standard" ~13,000 psi loads. The best I've tried so far is Unique, which is consistent and accurate, but leaves tons of black soot all over everything. The AA #7 was not igniting consistently at ~13,000 psi charge weights, even with a WLP and nice firm crimp, so I stopped before I stuck one in the bore. HS-6 was a little better, but still a LOT of unburned powder. HP-38 seemed to burn clean and ignite well, but accuracy was far worse than the other powders (which is typical of my experience with HP-38/WW231). I didn't even bother to try Blue Dot down that low.

What powder is everyone using for low pressure .45 Colt? I want something that burns relatively cleanly, ignites consistently and is accurate. I finally picked up a pound of Red Dot and I'm hoping that's the ticket, but I haven't had a chance to load any yet. I also have Bullseye and AA #2 on hand, but those seem too fast for use in a big ol' 45 case. Perhaps my thinking is skewed and those are really what I need to try.

olereb
11-09-2013, 09:28 PM
I am using Bullseye in my 45colt loads,i fired over 300 today with no issues at all as far as powder position and ignition. I was using a Rossi 92,Ruger New Vaquero and a Ruger Blackhawk. I forgot to mention I have found Bullseye to be accurate also in 45colt,i use WLP's.

felix
11-09-2013, 09:28 PM
You might try DuPont's/IMR/Hodgdon "PB". It has been formulated years ago to completely disappear at 7K cup/psi. I can never find it when locally looking, so I just have it on a wish list when money is not a limiting factor. PB stands for "porous base". It's speed is circa GreenDot, and has NO nitroglycerin content, a single base powder. Velocity will be lower as a result for the same "bang" using GD. ... felix

Larry Gibson
11-09-2013, 09:39 PM
Another vote for Bullseye here. Shot quite a few rounds of 45 Colt today myself. I use the Lee 452-200-RF over 7.5 gr Bullseye as a "standard" load. Runs 1200 fps out of my Uberti 20" M1873, 935 fps out of my Uberti artillery 5 1/2" SAA and 950 fps out of the Evil Roy 4 3/4" SAA. That load pressure tests right at 14,000 psi(M43) out of my Contender test barrel. That is the SAAMI MAP for the 45 Colt. Burns clean and is wonderfully accurate in all of the guns.

Larry Gibson

williamwaco
11-09-2013, 09:49 PM
+1 for Bullseye

Outpost75
11-09-2013, 09:49 PM
Another vote here for Bullseye. The government used the original Bullseye for loading the. 45 M1909 revolver load, as well as .45 ACP up until WW2. Bullseye was also used for factory loading. 45 Colt ammunition into the 1950s. A charge of 6.5 grains with the Remington lead conical bullet or Saeco #955 is a good approximation of the factory load, which gives 880 fps from my Colt New Service. 45 DA Model of 1909 revolver with 5.5" barrel. Shoots to the fixed sights and groups 4-5" at 50 yards off sandbags.

ReloaderFred
11-09-2013, 09:54 PM
I've been using IMR TrailBoss for the .45 Colt for a couple of years now and I'm very happy with it. I put about 150 rounds of it downrange yesterday and they all went where they were pointed.

Hope this helps.

Fred

Deep Six
11-09-2013, 09:58 PM
Looks like I should try Bullseye then! I'll also see if I can find any PB at the gun show tomorrow. I know I've passed it by before because I figured it was too specialized a powder for general use. Now that I shoot cast almost 100% of the time, I could probably find a few uses for PB.

xrider472
11-09-2013, 10:24 PM
Check out Titegroup also. Burns clean in everything I use it in.

monge
11-09-2013, 10:37 PM
You are already using the best unique! My 2cents

sixshot
11-10-2013, 12:47 AM
If you don't like Unique (my choice) then WST or 231 are good alternatives, very close to the same burn rate.

Dick

Hammerhead
11-10-2013, 02:39 AM
Clays, Trail Boss.

cbrick
11-10-2013, 07:10 AM
I'll also see if I can find some of that PB.

Hodgdon data for PB w/260 gr jacketed - (Hodgdon doesn't list PB with 300 Gr boolits)
5.0 gr @ 552 fps
6.3 gr @ 723 fps
Expect a bit higher velocity with real bullets.

I've tried many powders in the Colt, previous loads were with Lil'Gun, currently trying Viht N-110 (stick powder) & seems to be working well with the little testing I've done so far, fairly clean with just a bit of unburned powder. Just loaded a new batch with an additional .5 gr, see what it does. Using the MP 270 SAA @ 281 gr & standard primer. May use this load for Bambi in the next week, gun season opened here yesterday. [smilie=w:

Rick

denul
11-10-2013, 09:56 AM
PB is very clean in a variety of cast light loads for me, including 45 Colt, 9mm, 45 ACP and 40 S&W. It's expensive,even in bulk, but a little goes a long way. It's one of the very few powders available now at Powder Valley.

Jupiter7
11-10-2013, 10:01 AM
Another vote for bullseye. 7grs under ideal 454424 is my go to load, 2" groups at 25yds from 4 5/8" blackhawk. I've had good luck with aa5 from mild to wild.

shorty500M
11-10-2013, 10:04 AM
will 2nd the motions for trailboss, 700x and titegroup. they will all burn clean @saami specs. mite look into hodgdon universal also

ReloaderFred
11-10-2013, 01:25 PM
I shot some loads in .45 Colt with a 235 gr. SWC bullet and 7.0 grains of Hodgdon Universal two days ago. While they were accurate, there was unburned powder all through the Blackhawk, on the bench, and in the ejected cases. I scratched it off my list for the .45 Colt.

Trail Boss has proven to be very accurate for me in both my Blackhawk and two Marlin 1894 Cowboys in .45 Colt. I have a 4 pound can of PB, so I just may try it next.

Hope this helps.

Fred

Silver Jack Hammer
11-10-2013, 03:30 PM
No on Bullseye in the .45 Colt, Trail Boss is the one for lighter / gentler .45 Colt loads. Bullseye has been my primary power for years -in the .44 Special; 5.2 gr of Bullseye under the 429667. This is my favorite all time load. The .45 Colt favors Unique over Bullseye in my Colts, but then Unique give me erratic pressures in my .44 Special with lighter to middle of the road velocities. This makes no sense to me but it is what it is. Trail Boss is the favored light load powder in the .45 Colt and thousands of cowboys use it every Saturday. Bullseye is accurate in the .45 Colt and Red Dot is a good choice too but these powders have be loaded to 850 fps with my full weight boolits. These loads are a sprinkle of fast burning powder which can be dangerous in the voluminous .45 Colt case. So if you are going to load middle of the road velocities in the .45 Colt, best to use Unique. With light loads in the .45 Colt, Trail Boss gives you a good 700 to 700 fps loads.

Now about that clean, dirty comment. You say dirty like its a bad word. Those 6mm long tube guys talk ad nauseum about clean burning powders. In the .45 Colt revolver I like to belch smoke. Unique with Alox and 250 gr ww lead is dirty but my Colt's clean right up with a wipe of a rag and a pass down the bore with a patch. If you are purchase lead boolits that have to be shipped then you are getting harder lean than necessary and hard lube. This combination is good for shipping really leaves a foul in the bore that is tough to scrub clean.

MtGun44
11-10-2013, 05:03 PM
I'm sorry, but my first reaction is "Get over it, powder leaves residue, as does boolit lube."
Perhaps that is a bit harsh, but guns do get dirty, it's a simple fact of life. Try BP if you
want some REAL residue! :lol:

Of course, some powders burn poorly at certain pressure ranges, and others burn better. It is
probably a bad sign if there is unburned powder laying around after firing. Also,
there are significant differences in the amount of residue, but it is far and away the LEAST
important thing to me when selecting a powder. I have never noticed Unique to be a particularly
problematic powder, although velocity spread is large with light boolits in .45 ACP, somehow
it still shoots accurately. For me, accuracy trumps all else.

Bill

birch
11-11-2013, 01:45 AM
I have a colt SAA cavalry and titegroup is by far the most accurate and cleanest burning powder I have tried under 230gr lrn and 255lrn. Second best is Bullseye.

This is the firearm that got me into reloading/casting in the first place and have tried about every powder known to man.

I originally started loading with unique as it is very forgiving, but after I became confident in my abilities, I started experimenting. Unique is a good powder, but I have found it to be very position sensitive with every primer I tried. My groups were cut in half when I switched to Bullseye and got better with titegroup. I guy can load up ALOT of rounds off a pound of powder. If you are interested, PM me and I can give you some load suggestions with many different types of powder and you can make your choice based on alot of trial and error. However, i highly recommend experimentation with your own mind. Once you figure it out, you will have a sincere love of the .45 colt cartridge. You might even be tempted to get a levergun if you feel your pistola has a bit of the blues for fear of being alone forever.

littlejack
11-11-2013, 01:51 AM
Well, I will chime in on my fave.
I have used since my purchase of my 45 Colt revolver, and probably will continue to us the so called "b@$t@rd child" of powders (Herco).
When I bought my Uberti "Evil Roy" SSA, ( couple years ago now) I researched the powder gamut. I wanted a powder that would light easily. One that would take up a lot of volume in the 45 Colt case. Stay within the 13,000 - 14,000 psi SAMMI spec.
A powder that metered better than Unique, and one that burned fairly clean. And lastly, one that would have a less sharp pressure curve than the faster powders, and most of the mid range burning powders.
So, I decided on the Herco, with very good results. This powder works very well, and does as I expected. There are a few dead soldiers lying in the bore upon firing. Who cares??? There is some smoke residue after a range session. Who cares??? I enjoy cleaning my firearms, and getting (more) familiar with them.
My load is 9 grains of Herco, with any of the 250 - 260 grain, ww boolits. They shoot very accurate for me.
All the best in your quest for the perfect powder.
Regards
Jack

JeffG
11-12-2013, 12:07 AM
I'm using Bullseye, the cleanest I've used so far. I've also annealed the Starline brass, which helps to keep the crud from blowing by the case and coming back toward the firing pin area.

DougGuy
11-12-2013, 12:22 AM
+2 on the Herco. I find Unique and 231 filthy burning. 231 makes a mess of my .45 auto in less than 10rds but hey, it shoots great and I can't complain.

Silver Jack Hammer
11-12-2013, 10:39 AM
Interesting on Herco in the .45 Colt. Herco was my favorite in .44 Magnum when I owned my Model 29's. I shot my Model 29's with less than full Zeus power but more than gallery loads, partially because they were Model 29's. I'll have to look into Herco in my .45 Colt's. Of which I own five in single action.

UNIQUEDOT
11-12-2013, 10:56 AM
Herco is one of the few I haven't used in 45 colt. Perhaps I'll give it a try, but I always go right back to unique regardless. I thought the old unique of years past was pretty dirty, but not so with the newer stuff unless the pressure is considerably low and a good tight roll crimp helps too. I used to shoot a lot of blackpowder and anything seems sanitary clean after you get used to blackpowder.

Garpo
11-12-2013, 11:05 AM
Trail Boss is now my favorite for the 45 Colt. Cleaner (relatively speaking), consistent burn and improved accuracy. I'm even getting used to the smell.

Char-Gar
11-12-2013, 11:30 AM
95% of my handloads for the 45 Colt cartridge used with Bullseye or Unique. I have yet to load a high pressure 45 Colt round. Everything has been within the factory/original ballistics of the round. The powders have done everything I wanted in the round, and I do not consider them to be dirty.

scattershot
11-12-2013, 11:43 AM
I use 9.0/Herco/250L in my .45 Colts, as well. I read an article by John Taffin, and he recommended it. Very pleased so far, real accurate load and as powerful as I'll ever need. Not the cleanest powder, but I'm used to cleaning my guns after each range session, and after 60 years of shooting, a little soot doesn't bother me much.

DanWalker
11-12-2013, 03:36 PM
6.5 grains of Red Dot....

smkummer
11-12-2013, 09:01 PM
Unique with 8.5-9.0 grains and Lyman's 454190 works wonderful out of all of my SAA Colts including the anaconda for the 900 FPS range bullets with minor powder soot. 700X or red dot when I want to go into the 700 FPS range with 200 grain bullets. If I try and down load Unique, the cases don't expand and get sooty.

chsparkman
11-12-2013, 09:36 PM
For the past 20 years I have loaded 255 gr. boolits over 6.5 to 7 grains of Universal for pleasant shooting and easy cleanup since it burns so cleanly.

waco
11-12-2013, 10:32 PM
Well, I will chime in on my fave.
I have used since my purchase of my 45 Colt revolver, and probably will continue to us the so called "b@$t@rd child" of powders (Herco).
When I bought my Uberti "Evil Roy" SSA, ( couple years ago now) I researched the powder gamut. I wanted a powder that would light easily. One that would take up a lot of volume in the 45 Colt case. Stay within the 13,000 - 14,000 psi SAMMI spec.
A powder that metered better than Unique, and one that burned fairly clean. And lastly, one that would have a less sharp pressure curve than the faster powders, and most of the mid range burning powders.
So, I decided on the Herco, with very good results. This powder works very well, and does as I expected. There are a few dead soldiers lying in the bore upon firing. Who cares??? There is some smoke residue after a range session. Who cares??? I enjoy cleaning my firearms, and getting (more) familiar with them.
My load is 9 grains of Herco, with any of the 250 - 260 grain, ww boolits. They shoot very accurate for me.
All the best in your quest for the perfect powder.
Regards
Jack

I have the same gun as Jack. I like 8.0 grains of Universal under an RCBS270-SSA to be the ticket!

UNIQUEDOT
11-12-2013, 11:19 PM
For the past 20 years I have loaded 255 gr. boolits over 6.5 to 7 grains of Universal for pleasant shooting and easy cleanup since it burns so cleanly.

Unique (newer stuff) burns as clean as universal does.

Trail Boss is now my favorite for the 45 Colt. Cleaner (relatively speaking), consistent burn and improved accuracy. I'm even getting used to the smell.

I tried this stuff and found it to be too expensive at least for me as it only offered higher costs IMO. Some of the guys I shot with loved the stuff for whatever reason, but when it was depleted I went once again back to unique. I'll probably buy it and use it in the future though as unique is so handy I'd like to be darn sure I never run out of it during times like these!

littlejack
11-13-2013, 01:00 AM
WACO:
Universal is a great powder. I did do some loads with it in the Evil Roy, and for my plinkin loads in my .41 Magnum. Both worked well.
I did consider the Universal, but I can also use the Herco in my 12 gauge slug and ball loads, and heavy loads with a Lee 255 RF in my 45 acp. So, the Herco is a very Universal powder for me after all.
Good to hear from a member across the river.
Maybe one of these days, we will meet at the Emerald Empire Gun Club in Marcola???
Regards
Jack

USSR
11-13-2013, 08:14 PM
Surprised no one has mentioned Solo 1000. A very clean burning, single based powder.

Don

daniel lawecki
11-13-2013, 08:36 PM
This my seem strange to most but my 45 Colt load is a 200Swc clays powder tula primer 5.6 grs same bullet as my 45acp loads with less powder same primer using 4.0-4.3 grs.

C. Latch
11-13-2013, 08:48 PM
I'm getting ~990 fps from a published load of VV Tin Star behind a 260-grain Lee 452-255-rf. It's clean as it could possibly be, very accurate, very bulky....just expensive.

Since I'm shooting it in a Blackhawk I actually bumped the load from 9.6 (published max) to 9.7 grains, so as to get a nice, even 1000'.

detox
11-13-2013, 09:19 PM
I'm getting ~990 fps from a published load of VV Tin Star behind a 260-grain Lee 452-255-rf. It's clean as it could possibly be, very accurate, very bulky....just expensive.

Since I'm shooting it in a Blackhawk I actually bumped the load from 9.6 (published max) to 9.7 grains, so as to get a nice, even 1000'.

Evil Roy recommends Tin Star. I shoot it alot in my .357 with cast bullets. It has delivered my most accurate/comfortable combination for 1000fps shooting. My chronograph shows lower velocity spreads than BE, Unique, 2400, Trail Boss. I have never tried Tin Star in my 45 LC.

Tin Star is a little cleaner, but all guns get very dirty when fired alot...25 rounds or more.

fouronesix
11-14-2013, 12:54 AM
Any of the fast powders will work for low velocity, relatively clean loads in the 45. But, you will give away some room on the upside of velocity because of the steeper pressure curve of the fast powders. I tried several popular powders in the 45 and they all did fine. I tried some Trailboss when if first came out and it did exactly what I wanted in several low velocity, high expansion ratio cartridges including the 45 Colt and 45 ACP. So I got a bunch of it. I've standardized my 45 Colt smokeless load with a flat base, RNFP 200 gr. bullet over a medium charge of Trailboss.

Two additional big bonuses with Trailboss include: little chance of double charge and it meters extremely consistently out of a measuring drum.

35 Whelen
11-14-2013, 02:00 AM
I'll be the weirdo here...get a can of Alliant 20/28, just TRUST me. Load it using Unique data. It meters better than Unique (smaller flakes), burns infinitely cleaner than Unique, and with identical charges (20/28 vs. Unique)yields velocities of no more than 3% over those attained by Unique in the calibers in which I've worked up loads and I've worked up loads in my 38 Special, .44 Special, in which it has become my go-to powder, and my 45 ACP. Same results in ALL the cartridges and I've used probably 2 lbs. of it so far. Next will be working up loads in my Vaquero 45 Colt.

The best thing about this powder is it'll be sitting on the dealer shelf gathering dust when everything else is sold out!

35W

h8dirt
11-14-2013, 06:16 AM
If you don't like Unique (my choice) then WST or 231 are good alternatives, very close to the same burn rate.

Dick

Does anyone have experience with WST in a 45 Colt? I've been interested in that but have not been able to find any referenced uses.

sixshot
11-14-2013, 03:57 PM
8 grs of WST or 231 works great for a reduced load with a 250-260 gr slug, it will also work on deer at handgun ranges.

Dick

CastingFool
11-14-2013, 09:43 PM
I have used both Bullseye, Unique, and Red Dot in my 45lc, without any problems.

ReloaderFred
11-14-2013, 10:14 PM
As long as we're on the subject of the .45 Colt, you need to watch for Herters .45 Colt brass, with small pistol primers. I ran across some today for the first time.

Hope this helps.

Fred

rexherring
11-14-2013, 11:38 PM
Try AA#5 I have used quite a bit for plinking loads in my .45 Ruger BH. Fairly close to Unique in burn rate, measures well, and shoots clean.

9.3X62AL
11-15-2013, 03:37 AM
I'm another one that doesn't understand the concerns about "dirty" powders. After years of cap & ball Holy Black revolver shooting, the bit about Unique in 45 Colt leaving debris is almost laughable. My standard-velocity (900-1000 FPS) standard-weight (250-260 grains) 45 Colt loads have used--in order of most-used to least-used--Unique, Herco, Red Dot, WW-231, H/IMR-4227, SR-4756. Herco is a GREAT fuel for all straightwall revolver calibers using cast standard-weight boolits at 850-1100 FPS. 32 Magnum to 45 Colt.

UNIQUEDOT
11-15-2013, 04:30 AM
As long as we're on the subject of the .45 Colt, you need to watch for Herters .45 Colt brass, with small pistol primers. I ran across some today for the first time.

spp's in 45 colt? yikes! that's like killing of Clint Eastwood as the lead character!

9.3X62AL
11-15-2013, 10:45 PM
spp's in 45 colt? yikes! that's like killing of Clint Eastwood as the lead character!

Full-on HERESY, right there. I might not sleep tonight, after reading this mis-primering misanthropy. Nothing is sacred any longer.

hpdrifter
11-15-2013, 11:38 PM
In the .45 Colt revolver I like to belch smoke. Unique with Alox and 250 gr ww lead

Ahhhh, the essence of handgunning. I haveto agree.

zxcvbob
11-15-2013, 11:41 PM
Red Dot, and don't load it too light. If that's not clean enough for ya, try American Select.

jdt81
11-18-2013, 11:53 PM
Not many mentions for 700x. Seems to work best for really light loads in my Blackhawk.
200 gr SWC over 7 gr is very accurate, feels like a 38 spl, and fairly clean, but at these velocities there is some blowback.

For some reason, that gun/boolit combo doesn't seem to like red dot or unique (I know, heresy!)

MtGun44
11-19-2013, 12:23 AM
8 gr of W231 under a 250-260 gr cast is delightful in my
experience in two different BHs. Over the std pressure
so only recommended in BH, but it doesn't show any signs
of being high pressure. Probably about 1000 fps.

Bill

pbcaster45
11-19-2013, 11:21 AM
I like Herco in the .45 Colt too. I'm listing two loads because I didn't chronograph my 8.7 gr Herco load, but it was the most accurate. From my Ruger Bisley .45 Colt.

Bullet: RCBS 255 gr. SWC (.452/#2 Alloy/LBT Magnum Lube)
Powder: Alliant Herco 8.7 grs.
Primer: Winchester Large Pistol
Case: Starline

Bullet: RCBS 255 gr. SWC (.452/#2 Alloy/SPG Lube)
Powder: Alliant Herco 9.0 grs.
Primer: Winchester Large Pistol
Case: PMC
Velocity: 1011.74 fps.
ES: 30.32
SD: 11.78

Silver Jack Hammer
11-19-2013, 11:33 AM
I used Herco exclusively in my Model 29's, Magnum brass with 13 gr of Herco behind a 240 gr cast which chrono'd @ 1,300 fps. Currently there are no Model 29's in my house and am using Unique in my SBH 3 screw. But I digress from the OP. Unique is my current powder in my .45 Colt's. American Select works in my .44 Special's and .44-40 but only with light, 200 gr boolits, I have found American Select is not a choice to select for 240 gr boolits.

silverback13
11-30-2013, 06:11 PM
what about 2400? how does it fair with 45 colts, smoking and clean up?

MtGun44
11-30-2013, 07:29 PM
Pretty much like in the .44 Mag. . . very well.

Bill

35 Whelen
11-30-2013, 07:57 PM
I'll be the weirdo here...get a can of Alliant 20/28, just TRUST me. Load it using Unique data. It meters better than Unique (smaller flakes), burns infinitely cleaner than Unique, and with identical charges (20/28 vs. Unique)yields velocities of no more than 3% over those attained by Unique in the calibers in which I've worked up loads and I've worked up loads in my 38 Special, .44 Special, in which it has become my go-to powder, and my 45 ACP. Same results in ALL the cartridges and I've used probably 2 lbs. of it so far. Next will be working up loads in my Vaquero 45 Colt.

The best thing about this powder is it'll be sitting on the dealer shelf gathering dust when everything else is sold out!

35W

OK, let me back up a little on my statement. As I stated previously, I tried 20/28 in a .38 Special, a .44 Special and a 45 ACP and it was, for the most part, a grain-for-grain replacement for Unique. However I tried it this week in the 45 Colt and found it is NOT. I loaded 8.0 grs. of Unique (an older can) and 20/28 under a 262 SWC. Velocity out of my 4 5/8" Vaquero with the Unique load was a more or less expected 844 fps, but the same charge of 20/28 ran 943 fps!

But I have a 4 lb. keg of Red Dot so I tried a recommended load of 6.5 grs. with the sane 262 gr. SWC. Averaged 835 fps out of the Vaquero and shoots well out to 50 yds.

35W

DanWalker
11-30-2013, 10:40 PM
But I have a 4 lb. keg of Red Dot so I tried a recommended load of 6.5 grs. with the sane 262 gr. SWC. Averaged 835 fps out of the Vaquero and shoots well out to 50 yds.
35W

YUP! It will shoot right through medium game at twice that distance too.

lawboy
12-01-2013, 06:51 PM
I like 8.0grs. UNIQUE under an RCBS 45-325-FP GC bullet. Mine cast at 315grs. I do not use a GC in this load. I shoot them from a 94 Trapper and they shoot very clean. I think the extra bullet weight and larger charge promote more complete combustion.