PDA

View Full Version : Need suggestions for a pistolsmith to customize my FA454.

DanWalker
11-09-2013, 04:29 PM
Looking to get some custom work done on my FA83. Whom would you all suggest? I had planned on sending it to Bob Munden, but sadly, he has left us. He did my blackhawk for me and it is one of my treasured posessions. I'm wanting to slick up this 454 for hunting.

BRobertson
11-09-2013, 05:20 PM
Magnaport , Inc
Ken has done several Mod 83 for me, and does a fantastic job.

He is the only one that I will send one to for work, other than the Freedom Factory.
John at Freedom does a fantastic job also!!

Bob

MGD
11-09-2013, 10:17 PM
You might try Bill Laughridge at Cylinder and Slide, Freemont Ne. He has done lots of work for me and I'm tikled to death with his work, and I can't even afford his really good stuff.

Gibbs44
11-09-2013, 10:59 PM
Looks like Bob had an understudy who is carrying on. Here is the link http://www.bobmunden.com/custom-gunsmithing/. I did not realize that he had passed, I always enjoyed watching him shoot, he was something with a gun.

Anyway, keep us posted as to how it turns out, whomever you decide to go with.

cbrick
11-10-2013, 08:03 AM
I'm wanting to slick up this 454 for hunting.

Curious, what is it you want to "slick up". What kind of work are you looking for?

Rick

Lloyd Smale
11-10-2013, 08:14 AM
if its a premier id be looking at FA to do the work. Any mechanical work on that gun from another gunsmith is going to void your lifetime warantee.

DanWalker
11-10-2013, 02:55 PM
Curious, what is it you want to "slick up". What kind of work are you looking for?

Rick

Rick,
I'm wanting a GOOD trigger job and action job done on this gun. It's hard to describe. If I handed you my blackhawk that Mr Munden did his action and trigger job on, and let you fire a cylinder full of ammo through it, then handed you this FA83 and let you do the same, you'd drop the FA in the dirt in disgust. Mechanical accuracy of the FA gun is absolutely superb. Shootability is something else entirely. The Munden gun is smooth as glass. The FA feels like unlocking a padlock. The blackhawk has been retired from field duty since Bob passed on. It will be passed down to whatever gandkids I may eventually have. I'm building this FA as a dedicated replacement for it.

cbrick
11-10-2013, 03:19 PM
Dan, you have a PM. :mrgreen:

FA triggers are lawyer proof because several years ago a guy practicing quick draw with a loaded FA blew a rather large hole in his leg and sued FA.

Rick

bobthenailer
11-10-2013, 07:28 PM
As far as lightening the trigger pull , carefully remove the trigger guard portion from the frame and bend the trigger return spring to get a really nice trigger pull ! ive done that to my FA 83s and so has a few friends .
IF you also want the action smoothed up as Llyod stated ! if its a PG send it back to FA for the work !

A firing pin broke in half on one of my field grade guns because the cyl spring broke on 2 previous occasions causing the firing pin to hit the cyl off center and after a short time after the 2ed cyl spring broke the FP broke in half causing miss fires , i had to send it back to FA for a upgraded firing pin assy rework $80.00 for repairs & another $80.00 for shipping both ways , so don't void that warrenty on a PG , i belive the newer FA 83s have this upgrade so you can replace the firing pin your self. my other 2 are still the old style but one is a PG.

raisinriverron
11-10-2013, 10:18 PM
Sent mine back to the factory. Did a wonderful job. Not as light as I would have liked, but tight, zero creep or overtravel. Gun is scary accurate.

Paul105
11-10-2013, 10:55 PM
FWIW,

My impression is that the pawl spring is very heavy on FA guns. This, combined with a heavy hammer spring (and of course a heavy trigger pull) is what may be causing your "shootability" issues.

I have a M97 in .45 Colt with an action that is every bit as good (if not better) than the Munden action jobs (have two). The only thing done to this gun by anyone other than John at FA was a local Gunsmith (not Jeff Ault) who lightened the pawl spring when he replaced the trigger return spring.

Jeff Ault is a meticulous craftsman and I would trust him with any action job. His specialty is Ruger and Colt single actions and the 1911. Call him at the Munden link given above and ask if he can make your FA as "slick" as your Ruger -- make sure you explain exactly what you are trying to achieve.

Jack Huntington does excellent work by all accounts. Give him a call and tell him what you want -- he may be able to help you.

If it were me, I would let Freedom Arms do the work -- call FA, ask for John, and explain what your want done. Their work is 1st class, 100 percent guaranteed and turn around times are a week or two at worst.

FWIW,

Paul

sixshot
11-10-2013, 10:58 PM
I would send it back to FA, they can make that trigger break like frozen lettuce.

Dick

dubber123
11-11-2013, 06:23 PM
I don't think F/A will go below 3# on the trigger. I had mine done by a 'smith, but he told me the same thing as bobthenailer did, it involves bending the trigger return spring. The sears are cut and polished nicely, you just need to reduce the return pressure. He actually tried to get me to do it myself, rather than send it in. I wish I had. I had mine set to 2.0#'s, (4-3/4" .475 Linebaugh). He said it was easy to go as light as 1#, just tweaking the spring.

jmort
11-11-2013, 06:34 PM
You cannot do better than
Oglesby & Oglesby Gunmakers
Address: 744 W Andrew Rd, Springfield, IL 62707
Phone: (217) 487-7100

cbrick
02-24-2014, 10:54 AM
Curious minds are laying awake at night waiting to hear how the FA trigger work went??

Rick

44man
02-25-2014, 10:18 AM
They only need the spring lightened for a perfect trigger.

cbrick
02-25-2014, 10:48 AM
They only need the spring lightened for a perfect trigger.

Dan sent his FA to my smith in CA on my recommendation. While I have right at 110% confidence in Jim I'd still like to hear all is well and he got exactly what he asked for.

As a side note Jim Henry Gunsmithing is the only one that I am aware of doing triggers on FA's where the factory doesn't void the warranty.

Rick

DanWalker
02-25-2014, 11:34 AM
Jim did a GREAT job on my FA83. Took it out after I got it back, for some informal plinking. I'd had the barrel cut to 6" by Freedom Arms, and switched it back to iron sights as well. It shot great, but 24" high. Had to call FA and get them to send me a taller front sight. I've been busy with getting my basement finished, and just haven't had time to get out and wring the gun out like I would like to. I will keep you all informed as to how it does, once I get all my chores done, and the weather cooperates a bit.

cbrick
02-25-2014, 12:27 PM
Jim did a GREAT job on my FA83.

dubber123
02-25-2014, 04:10 PM
Jim is the one I sent my F/A to also. Great guy to deal with.