PDA

View Full Version : remove a bedding block from a stock

Whiterabbit
11-09-2013, 03:24 PM
Hi guys,

Next step I'm hungup on for my CZ550 rifle build. Need to consult the experts.

The rifle came with a bedding block for a barrel lug. I am not using a barrel lug for the replacement, but it is a larger diameter and I need to open the stock.

I need to remove this block. It is steel bedded in.

I assume ill be chipping out the wood under the block to get the guy out, which is fine, but I have no idea how I can carve this guy out to begin with. Any tips? I'm not stuck grinding the block out into dust, am I?

Thanks!

waksupi
11-09-2013, 06:23 PM
Find a piece of steel that will cover the end of the block. Heat the steel as hot as possible, red heat at least. Put it on the block for awhile, then see if you can rock the block out. May take a few applications, but heat should loosen things up. Careful not to burn the stock, you may want to sit it on wet rags for a heat sink.
I hope I understand your question, it may help for you to post a picture, to be sure.

Whiterabbit
11-09-2013, 06:56 PM
attached. block is bedded with same material used to bed the action.

Whiterabbit
11-09-2013, 07:19 PM
Good. Grief. Waksupi, nevermind. Judicious application of heat and that guy popped right out. I am shocked. One action item down, tons more to go.

Big thanks.

-S

country gent
11-09-2013, 07:29 PM
Dry ice will also break the bond down by shrinking the steel block from the bond of the epoxy.

waksupi
11-09-2013, 10:50 PM
Good. Grief. Waksupi, nevermind. Judicious application of heat and that guy popped right out. I am shocked. One action item down, tons more to go.

Big thanks.

-S

Saw it, right off.