PDA

View Full Version : Electronic Scales?????

3jimbo3
11-09-2013, 02:57 PM
I have been looking at some electronic scales. As everyone knows the price varies a lot. What I would like to know has anyone ever used the Frankford Arsenal Digital Scale? It seems to be economical and accurate,from what I have read. What I have found out from the different web stores descriptions is that it is comparable to the higher priced ones. Anyone have any input? The more I save here the more I get to spend on something else.

500MAG
11-09-2013, 03:05 PM
I use an electronic scale that I paid very little for. I also have a weight set that I use to test the scale to make sure it is accurate. The key is to make sure that the scale can weigh very small amounts accurately as well as large amounts. Many may think, because they placed a 10gram weight on it and it was correct, that it is accurate. You can get in trouble with this if you start weighing small weights. Test the scale with very small and large weights to be truly sure it is accurate. Scales have a minimum allowable weight as well as a maximum.

Dan Cash
11-09-2013, 03:06 PM
Never tried the FA scale but did buy some Myweigh scales about 10 years ago. They have served me accurately and repeatably since I bought them. Gave $130.00 for them I think. The Redding scales still sit on the shelf but aare seldom used.

engineer401
11-09-2013, 03:32 PM
My digital RCBS scale requires re-zeroing regularly. I found that to be a pain. I use the beam scale for powder and the digital for bullets. My experience with a digital scale doesn't impress me much. Others have said good things about their Frankford Arsenal scale. There is a lot of discussion on this forum regarding these scales.

jmort
11-09-2013, 03:39 PM
I have this one and like it very much
http://www.ballisticproducts.com/BPI-BallistiScale-1500-Digital-Scale/productinfo/6880300/

This is next one I am getting. Witnin reason, as good as it get, and easily the best scale for the $$$
http://www.brianenos.com/store/be.scale_hp.html

dudel
11-09-2013, 04:23 PM
Almost as important as getting an accurate weight, is scale sensitivity. Try this, cut a 1/8 inch square of paper (about 1/10 grain) . Drop it on your pan. Did it register? Most cheap digital scales won't; most beam scales will. How many squares did you have to drop before the scale registered? That should tell you if it's a scale you want to use for reloading.

Airman Basic
11-09-2013, 05:41 PM
Ben using the FA $30 digital for a while now. Checked it constantly with a beam when I first got it. Never a problem. Trust it now. Just don't have a breeze blowing or it'll never settle down. Needs a good flat surface also. Recommended.

Riverpigusmc
11-09-2013, 06:03 PM
Have the FA 30 dollar digital....check it against my RCBS beam, check both with Lyman check weights, and load. The digital always reads .2 higher than my beam scale...I don't use it for max loads, jast midrange and upper end plinking pistol ammo

Hardcast416taylor
11-09-2013, 06:44 PM
A friend bought 1 of those Frankfort scales. We could never get it to zero. He returned it and recieved another scale that was the same way, this time he asked for a refund.Robert

Shooternz
11-09-2013, 07:24 PM
I use the Hornady 1500, quite surprised how accurate it is I originally bought it to check boolits after trying it for reloading I use it all the time, it does drift a little I keep a check weight handy and check it often it is quicker than a beam scale even with checking it, powder is thrown with a Redding 30BR also very consistent. Robert.

11-09-2013, 07:26 PM
Just did an experiment.

My old Texan oil dampened, triple poise balance beam scale detected a single grain of Accurate 5744.

Nine kernels had to be added to the Frankford scale before it detected any change in weight.

Though both scales measured the nine kernels at .1 grains, the Frankford scale is extremely less sensitive to change.

I trickle powder charges and the above is why I don't use an electronic scale to measure powder -- only boolits.

dragon813gt
11-10-2013, 07:51 AM
If the scale isn't AC powered then don't even bother. I have not used the FA scale. But I have used almost every other cheap electronic scale. It was an obsession of mine that cost me a lot of wasted money. All the battery powered(only) scales are junk. Especially the ones that shut off automatically. The biggest issue I found with them was repeatability. Almost all of then gave different readings depending on where the object was placed on the pan. The worst offender with this problem was a Hornady that would vary up to 1 grain.

I have two digitals that I use regularly. Both were checked against my beam and both were spot on. One is a PACT DPPS. This scale is made in the US with as many US made parts as possible. It's sensitive enough to trickle powder onto it. I don't use it for that because I have a RCBS Chargemaster for powder dropping. It's not as sensitive as the PACT but you enter the charge and it throws it for you. Money well spent and I recommend it to everyone. Only downside is that it's made in China.

Every time I post that the battery scales are junk people always post how theirs work great. I always wonder if they have used other scales. Because my experience with them was well below unacceptable. There is a big range in quality when it comes to electronic scales and is one time where you definitely get what you pay for.

Garyshome
11-10-2013, 08:24 AM
Tough to get a good one reasonably priced. But very handy around the reloading bench.

r1kk1
11-10-2013, 09:01 AM
Dillon quit carrying the older one. When it finally quits I will be on the hunt for a high capacity one. 1000 grains or better.

Take care

r1kk1

hermans
11-10-2013, 09:28 AM
I agree totally with dragon813gt....if they do not work off mains voltage, do not even bother to look. With digital scales it is much the same as with molds....if spend only a few bucks, then you get a lot of hassle and frustration in on the deal. The battery operated ones all have auto shut-off, and it it just a big pain in the butt!
The more expensive ones work the best, the are more stable and give repeatable accurate readings.

bobz
11-10-2013, 02:03 PM
I picked up one of these FA scales on sale from Midway a couple months ago and love it. Works great, fast and repeatable. Still checking against my beam scale just to be sure. I read all the negative comments but took a chance-glad I did. I think people who have a bad experience are more likely to post-sometimes may make an item seem worse than it is. Hard to believe I just got lucky when others got two bad ones in a row-usually that's how my luck works.

montana_charlie
11-10-2013, 02:40 PM
I have been looking at some electronic scales. As everyone knows the price varies a lot. What I would like to know has anyone ever used the Frankford Arsenal Digital Scale? It seems to be economical and accurate,from what I have read. What I have found out from the different web stores descriptions is that it is comparable to the higher priced ones. Anyone have any input? The more I save here the more I get to spend on something else.
You never said what you want to weigh.
A low cost digital is great for bullets and other repetitive jobs.
I have less confidence in digitals when 'trickling up' to a desired powder charge weight, but they are fine for a quick check to verify the accuracy of a beam scale.

CM

mikeym1a
11-10-2013, 03:02 PM
I bought a Franklin Arsenal through Midway. It worked for a few months, and one day I went to use it, and it would not hold zero, it hunted. I could put the same slug on it three times in a row, and get three different readings. I even bought a weight set off fleabay, and found it would not hold zero over 20 grams. I emailed Midway about the one year warranty, and they have never responded. Even if they do not warranty the machine, they should at least do a customer the favor of a reply, and a suggestion of where to direct the complaint. I've been looking at scales, but won't do Franklin Arsenal again.

Airman Basic
11-10-2013, 03:59 PM
I bought a Franklin Arsenal through Midway. It worked for a few months, and one day I went to use it, and it would not hold zero, it hunted. I could put the same slug on it three times in a row, and get three different readings. I even bought a weight set off fleabay, and found it would not hold zero over 20 grams. I emailed Midway about the one year warranty, and they have never responded. Even if they do not warranty the machine, they should at least do a customer the favor of a reply, and a suggestion of where to direct the complaint. I've been looking at scales, but won't do Franklin Arsenal again.
I've noticed it likes fresh batteries or it will "hunt" as you say. Also flickering fluorescent lights give problems.

3jimbo3
11-10-2013, 06:21 PM
Thanks guys, from what I'm reading I think I may be going for a better set. Maybe the Hornady set or so. I will be using them for bullets and powder as well so I need to make sure that I have a good one. Of course I will be backing them up with my trusty RCBS 510 beam scales. Thanks for the input, Jimbo

Tackleberry41
11-13-2013, 01:30 PM
I looked at a digital scale not long ago. The beam wound up missing from my old RCBS 510 after a move. The cheap stuff like any scale seems best to just avoid, the accuracy isn't there as many have pointed out. Okay for putting enough stamps on a letter but not for reloading. I waded thru the reviews for the more expensive set ups. If most are positive with a few mad people its usually okay. But there were plenty of reviews that said the same things. They needed reset constantly, or worked for a while then quit, some were on their 3rd one under warranty. And you question what goes on when they design stuff, alot of the digital scales didn't like to be used around fluorescent lights. Really the most widely used light in a shop and many homes and they didn't think to shield the scales against it, just genius. So you need a faraday cage with incandescent lights to reload.

So I bought another 510 scale and went on my way.

myg30
11-14-2013, 11:15 AM
As most posted, An inexpensive digital scale has its use for weighing boolits, not powder dropping. If its double checked with a beam then two checks are better than one I guess.
Higher priced digi-scales are used for trickle powder drops and trusted for max loads.

My EYES, FINGERS and firearms are worth the price of a good scale !

fredj338
11-14-2013, 02:33 PM
There are no good/cheap dig scales. The FA is krap, so is the small Hornady & to my knowledge, all others under $100. The cheap scales won't hold zero & are tend to drift. If you must go cheap in reloading, do it on dies or a press, but spend $$ on your scale. After all, it is measuring the part that makes the gun KB. The Dillon is great, the upper end RCBS & Hornady are also proving reliable.

jcwit
11-14-2013, 06:47 PM
There are no good/cheap dig scales. The FA is krap, so is the small Hornady & to my knowledge, all others under $100. The cheap scales won't hold zero & are tend to drift. If you must go cheap in reloading, do it on dies or a press, but spend $$ on your scale. After all, it is measuring the part that makes the gun KB. The Dillon is great, the upper end RCBS & Hornady are also proving reliable.

Blanket statements always hold so much validity.

Using this logic we should all support quality on price alone.

w0fms
11-14-2013, 08:00 PM
The Hornady is cheap but not, in my experience, accurate enough for small pistol powder loads. It's okay for a double check (which I always do) and larger loads, and bullets. But it was noticeably inaccurate for me (compared to two other known good beam scales) under about 4.0 gr. So 9mm and above for pistol would be OK.. I suppose...

I think it would be ok for rifle loads. I'm very nervous about trusting it with 2.7-3.1 gr range of W231 for 380 ACP, for example. My balance scales can easily give me accurate 0.025 gr increments if I want...

John Boy
11-14-2013, 08:18 PM
There are no good/cheap dig scales. The FA is krap, so is the small Hornady & to my knowledge, all others under $100. The cheap scales won't hold zero & are tend to drift.
Fred, there are exceptions to no good/cheap dig scales. I've been using this one for 2 years and no it doesn't tend to drift plus is dead nuts accurate and returns the same value when re-weighed. Digitals are dependent on the quality of the strain gauge in them and this on must have a good one
http://dx.com/p/1-7-lcd-high-precision-digital-jewelry-scale-50g-0-001g-4-x-aaa-101011

Firebricker
11-14-2013, 09:07 PM
I have the pact scale that goes with their powder dispenser. It has worked very good for over six years still going. It has a trickle mode if your trickling. FB

robertbank
11-16-2013, 03:19 PM
I bought the RCBS scale with the dispenser and frankly it just works great. Pricey yes but for dispensing stick powders for rifle applications they work so much faster than the balance beam approach. Too, for setting my Dillon powder measure for various pistol loads, it is just a great asset. I broke my first one and RCBS replaced it under warranty. I would not got back to just using a balance beam. One feature is you can program in various loads you use and they are always there at your finger tips. - well I confess I half to go back to the manual to get them. LOL

The downside is price but they do last a very long time and are covered under RCBS warranty.

Take Care

Bob

LynC2
11-16-2013, 06:05 PM
I have an older Dillon that the wife bought for me as a present a dozen or so years ago. It works great for sorting bullets or brass, but I don't trust it for small amounts of fast burning powder. BTW, fluorescent lighting seems to cause it to drift.

Idz
11-16-2013, 06:49 PM
Having performed sub-microgram measurements with a Sartorius balance I am most favorably impressed with the Frankford DS-750. To do reproducible precision measurements the scale should be level, pan centered, room temperature constant, draft free area, low emi room, and a gentle touch. Some people are incapable of using precision instruments and bang them up almost immediately and then complain the instrument is no good. The DS-750 I've used for several years has maintained its precision, accuracy, and linearity.