PDA

View Full Version : New Cam-Lever Sprue Plate Design from Accurate Molds

GLL
11-09-2013, 02:09 PM
Tom at Accurate Molds has designed a new sprue plate for his larger 3.45" molds that allows the use of a cam lever to shear the sprue. The levers produced by KAL and LEE both fit this new design. The photos show a prototype with the KAL lever and KAL mold handles on one of my Accurate Mold 5-cavity aluminum molds.

I have found this new design especially nice when casting with hard alloys and the KAL machined steel cam-lever is especially strong ! . The change from the "old" design is minimal and it still allows for the conventional breaking of the sprue either by hand. mallet, or stick. I see no downside to the change !

Tom would like comments about the design change before it is possibly put into production. Any thoughts?

http://www.fototime.com/8BF0FA6C99EBCA4/orig.jpg

http://www.fototime.com/D903F814DB307D0/orig.jpg

http://www.fototime.com/5A9FAB1CFD3941D/orig.jpg

http://www.fototime.com/3A786018E82445B/orig.jpg

New design on bottom:
http://www.fototime.com/26C75A86FF82E80/orig.jpg

Jerry "GLL

Artful
11-09-2013, 02:24 PM
Excellent!

Hardcast416taylor
11-09-2013, 02:41 PM
My question is, would you still need to install a set screw into the side of the mold where the cam lever comes into contact with it as needs to be done with LEE 6 cavity molds?Robert

GLL
11-09-2013, 02:54 PM
Robert:

Yes. I plan on doing that on my molds since it is a steel to aluminum (or brass) contact.

Jerry

ultramag
11-09-2013, 11:08 PM
I think I would like the change. I was just looking at Accurate mold bullet designs last night for a future purchase in a 5 cavity 9mm and/or .45 ACP mold and was thinking I wish it had a lever like the Lee's. I found a post early in my casting career about breaking the sprues by hand and dropping them right back in the pot. I've always done it that way and was wondering how one of the Accurate molds would be to open with out the handle like my Lee molds have.

leadman
11-10-2013, 08:15 PM
This will probably work very well. Lee's new style cam lever will give more travel so more of the sprues are cut.

Ben
11-10-2013, 08:31 PM
That looks like a real winner to me !

shooter93
11-11-2013, 06:28 PM
Not necessary for me but I buy all 3 cavity brass molds from Tom.

tomme boy
11-11-2013, 08:03 PM
Definitely needs some king of steel insert where the cam rubs the mold.

tonyjones
11-11-2013, 11:55 PM
I would want this feature on 4 and 5 cavity moulds. Can/would Tom install a hardened steel pin in the side of the mould where the cam lever engages the mould?

Regards,

Tony

TomAM
11-12-2013, 12:44 AM
I would want this feature on 4 and 5 cavity moulds. Can/would Tom install a hardened steel pin in the side of the mould where the cam lever engages the mould?

Regards,

Tony

First I'll need to find out how the new design is received. It's possible that the majority of my customers will prefer the original design, and this change will be scrapped. If the new design is well received, we'll need to see whether a harder engagement surface is needed. My aluminum alloy is much harder than normally seen with that handle. Then, if a pin or screw is desirable, I'll add the feature if there are enough people actually using a handle to justify the additional cost.

quasi
11-12-2013, 01:03 AM
I have a few Lee 6 cavitys with over 10,000 boolits cast thru them, there is no wear point on them from the sprue plate lever. There is a discoloration, but no actual wear. I believe Lee uses a softer alloy than Accurate, and Mihec. So I doubt you need a screw or insert, I do like the new sprue plate.

ultramag
11-12-2013, 01:25 AM
I have a few Lee 6 cavitys with over 10,000 boolits cast thru them, there is no wear point on them from the sprue plate lever. There is a discoloration, but no actual wear. I believe Lee uses a softer alloy than Accurate, and Mihec. So I doubt you need a screw or insert, I do like the new sprue plate.

I would agree with this as well. I've got two with over 5,000 boolits cast each and don't see this wear either. The place I worry about on the them is where the top of the sprue plate meets and goes under the stop/locator bolt. I think the carbon steel sprue plate in the Accurate Molds version would make this a non-issue as well.

garymcgehee52
11-12-2013, 10:15 PM
If Tom makes it I am sure it will be great.

HeavyMetal
11-12-2013, 10:26 PM
Another suggestion you might consider is a trough on the sprue plate, I have two of the custom cam lever sprue plates KAL makes for a pair of Lyman 4 banger molds.

Rick says he offers this trough as an option and I went for it! Glad I did it makes the two Lymans much better mannered!

GLL
11-13-2013, 05:31 PM
HeavyMetal:

Tom also offers the trough style sprue plate as an option.

Jerry

gefiltephish
11-14-2013, 02:23 PM
I have several AM molds and would welcome this new addition for future purchases. How about retrofitting to our existing AM molds?

Rattlesnake Charlie
11-14-2013, 02:44 PM
I like the new sprue plate with KAL style cam lever.

I have several of the KAL cam levers for both Lee and Lyman. They work nicely.

Would be a definite plus for Accurate molds.

SWANEEDB
11-14-2013, 02:56 PM
I have been converting all my mold sprue plates to this Lee system, started doing this several years ago, just did not like hammering the plate to cut the sprue, have done this to my NOE's, H & G's, Saecos and Lyman's. All are 4 cavities or more. Some took a little more metal welded to the plate or just drilling to fit the cam lever. Some do not look to pretty but they work and that's what I'm after. I think most of the old casters like me just do not like changes but has worked well for me, I think Tom has added a real improvement if he continues to offer them, the extra cost is well worth it and in my opinion it will also help to preserve the integrative of the mold. I did have quite a few steel sprue plates made for all my Lee 6cav molds, was not cheap but I think I have a much better bullet and it shows. Want to see a couple just look at the pic of my hot plate in the "casting equipment".

RobS
11-14-2013, 10:16 PM
Makes sense to me.

First I'll need to find out how the new design is received. It's possible that the majority of my customers will prefer the original design, and this change will be scrapped. If the new design is well received, we'll need to see whether a harder engagement surface is needed. My aluminum alloy is much harder than normally seen with that handle. Then, if a pin or screw is desirable, I'll add the feature if there are enough people actually using a handle to justify the additional cost.

warf73
11-15-2013, 03:10 AM
I like the new design and would be more than happy to try it out for you Tom. The test could be done on a .3585" Keith mold in 5 cavity brass. I'll give you a honest oppinion on the lever(would have to send reg plate also) if its worth the time :)

Dan Cash
11-15-2013, 09:54 AM
I hope Tom will not make this a series change. Offer it as an extra cost option but not universal. Myself, I want nothing to do with that ungodly third handle sticking out to drag the sprue plate open if tilted slightly to the right or the added weight and bulk. At present, I have 4 or 5 Accurate moulds in 4 cavity designs from .30 to .45. If you need a pry bar to open the mould, you are too weak to be casting or have not learned how to bring the mould to temperature.

Red River Rick
11-15-2013, 10:13 AM
If you need a pry bar to open the mould, you are too weak to be casting or have not learned how to bring the mould to temperature.

And what if the caster has some problems with their hands, or an old injury and needs that bit of leverage?

Dan, I guess that your an expert caster and have it all figured out. Maybe try looking at it from a different angle..........

RRR

Suo Gan
11-15-2013, 10:48 AM
It's nice to have options IMO.

I think folks that have cars are too weak...all you need are your bare feet...shoes are for sissies.

GLL
11-15-2013, 05:13 PM
Dan:

What extra cost???
The only change that has been made is a very slight squaring of the sprue plate and an extra hole !
The lever is from KAL or LEE not Accurate Molds ! Did you read what I posted or look at the last photo?

The slight machining change will not interfere with the cutting of the sprue by hand or with a stick ! You do not need the "ungodly" lever if you do not want it. In fact it is not even being offered !

See this for KAL cam-lever:
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?97479-KAL-quot-Steel-quot-Cam-Lever-for-Lee-Moulds

THE ONLY Accurate Molds change is what you see in this photo ! NOTHING MORE !
http://www.fototime.com/26C75A86FF82E80/orig.jpg

Jerry

Dan Cash
11-15-2013, 05:32 PM
Holes cost money.

Dan Cash
11-15-2013, 05:38 PM
And what if the caster has some problems with their hands, or an old injury and needs that bit of leverage?

Dan, I guess that your an expert caster and have it all figured out. Maybe try looking at it from a different angle..........

RRR

Rick, you can what if it to death but tell you what, I don't like your sarcastic attitude so instead of placing an order with you for 2 pair of handles which I had intended to do shortly, I will look at this from a different angle and buy the time tested RCBS handles instead. If people want to use your lever system, and Tom wants to provide a special sprue plate, fine. I don't want to support their whims.

btroj
11-15-2013, 05:58 PM
How are you supporti their whims?

I think this is a neat idea. I like the Lee cam system, it is my favorite part of their 6 cav moulds.

Red River Rick
11-15-2013, 07:27 PM
Rick, you can what if it to death but tell you what, I don't like your sarcastic attitude so instead of placing an order with you for 2 pair of handles which I had intended to do shortly, I will look at this from a different angle and buy the time tested RCBS handles instead. If people want to use your lever system, and Tom wants to provide a special sprue plate, fine. I don't want to support their whims.

Dan:

It's alright for you to "SLAM" thousands of casters whom own moulds that use the Cam Lever system by saying "They are too weak to be casting or".:sad:

But when I call you on it, you say I'm being Saracstic!

What's the matter, are you having a bad day? This thread was going well, with lots of interest regarding Tom's new sprue plate, until you posted your un-called for comments.

BTW, RCBS does make a very good set of mould handles, of the highest quality, and made in the USA. That's the nice thing about living on this side of the world, we have "Choices".

Gerry & Tom:

My apologies for the rude interuption, I wouldn't have made any comment, but the "Rudeness" was un-called for.

:drinks:
RRR

ffries61
11-15-2013, 07:45 PM
I think it's a great idea, when can I order a couple for my existing Accurate moulds ? got a 4 and a 5 banger that really need this addon.

Fred

kayak1
11-15-2013, 09:12 PM
I love my Accurate molds, I like this option.

HeavyMetal
11-15-2013, 09:44 PM
Glad to hear Tom is offering the trough as an option. My experience is these things are "lost" in the fine print on a web site so glad it was posted where it can be seen

bearcove
11-18-2013, 09:13 PM
I see no real down side to an extra hole. Buy one lever and swap then around. Be nice for those hard sprues if the mold is not hot enough. I did that this weekend, and hate having to wack the sprue plate with a stick.

dromia
11-19-2013, 02:49 AM
I like the idea, Tom should make it standard, not an option, then people can choose to use it or not.

badgeredd
11-21-2013, 08:35 PM
After reading the OP a third time (yep, I'm slow some times) I think it is a great idea to add the hole to the new sprue plate design to allow one the option of adding a cam lever to the plate. I generally like smaller 2 cavity molds, but I can see a real benefit to having the option on a larger 4 or 5 cavity mold. Good thinking on Tom's part in my humble opinion.

Edd