PDA

View Full Version : first shot high

Green Lizzard
11-08-2013, 11:39 PM
m1917 187 grain saeco 4 cav high 8 ring next nine 10 ring, never clean between targets. first shot always high even after a slight pause to replace targets nothing but 10 shot groups. what do you guys think could cause this? when i shoot for score i aim half a bullseye low for the first shot

Larry Gibson
11-08-2013, 11:56 PM
What lube?

Larry Gibson

Green Lizzard
11-09-2013, 12:16 AM
home brew that works fine in all my other milsurps

Calamity Jake
11-09-2013, 12:32 AM
A lot of milsurp guns need a first shot fowler/warmer even after letting the gun set for 10-15 min. between shot strings.
I have 2 1903 springfields, I shoot the exact same load in both one requires a fowler/warmer the other doesn't.
When I shoot the one that does I always shoot the first shot into the berm.
It's just the nature of the beast.

1Shirt
11-09-2013, 01:04 AM
I have a few rifles that tend to throw the first shot high with cast, out of fouled bbl. One is a #1 Ruger in 45-70, the other are mil surps. Have two sweds on does, the other doesn't. My rifles seem to have their own personalities.
1Shirt!

waksupi
11-09-2013, 01:54 AM
Runfiverun had a good topic on this earlier this year. Hunt it down.

Larry Gibson
11-09-2013, 08:39 AM
A lot of milsurp guns need a first shot fowler/warmer even after letting the gun set for 10-15 min. between shot strings.
I have 2 1903 springfields, I shoot the exact same load in both one requires a fowler/warmer the other doesn't.

I've found this to be a function of the lube (probably hardening with the residue of the powder used) mostly but there are exceptions as some mentioned. You might just test with some softer commercial lube, preferably a quality 50/50 NRA lube. Doesn't take much to hand lube them for a test.

Larry Gibson

FAsmus
11-09-2013, 08:39 AM
Gentlemen;

In the big-bore single shot (smokeless) game the Sharps rifles seem to toss the first round high quite consistently. My FBW and Stevens 44 1/2 don't show the same problem.

The matches we shoot do not allow a shot into the berm - unless you're willing to loose that shot since all are for record; no sighters allowed. Thus, I treasure my other rifles.

In bolt gun shooting I see the first round out of a cold, clean barrel shoot about 2 minutes high. After that all goes well.

Good morning,
Forrest

Larry Gibson
11-09-2013, 08:40 AM

I've found this to be a function of the lube (probably hardening with the residue of the powder used) mostly but there are exceptions as some mentioned. You might just test with some softer commercial lube, preferably a quality 50/50 NRA lube. Doesn't take much to hand lube them for a test.

Larry Gibson

FAsmus
11-09-2013, 08:44 AM
Larry;

Are you there?

I've been on "vacation" for three weeks. It is good to be back

Forrest

Green Lizzard
11-09-2013, 09:00 AM
larry the lube i use is mix bees wax, alox, and paste wax it is a little thicker than vasoline, i finger lube all bullets

Larry Gibson
11-09-2013, 06:35 PM
larry the lube i use is mix bees wax, alox, and paste wax it is a little thicker than vasoline, i finger lube all bullets

I suggest using the NRA alox/beeswax lube from a reputable maker like our Lar's. Or you might try Lee's LLA applied as per Lee's directions. Sometimes our own concoctions don't work well all the time, especially as colder weather sets in and the lube/power residue hardens.

Larry Gibson

Green Lizzard
11-09-2013, 08:19 PM
thanks larry easy test as i am using lees stuff on other cals.

Larry Gibson
11-09-2013, 08:25 PM
thanks larry easy test as i am using lees stuff on other cals.

Good, if it eliminates it. Many times it will but, as mentioned, some rifles are just that way.

Larry Gibson

madsenshooter
11-13-2013, 01:35 PM
I was having this problem with a Krag. I read that Townsend Whelen recommended sanding the inside of the barrel bands. I tried that. First I removed too much, I could see light under both cross bars of the top band, but it fit too loose. Got another band and sanded only the front cross bar so I could see light under it. The rear cross bar had only a little tension on it that I could feel as I slid the band back into position. I left the band loose, not overly tightening the screw through the stacking swivel, just snug enough it wasn't going to get lost. That fixed my Krag.