PDA

View Full Version : Load Development and Horizontal stringing

Mike Malat
11-08-2013, 08:02 PM
Spent another day at the range trying out different loads to see which one(s) my Sharps likes. So far the rifle seems to like 56.5g in either 2F or 3F pushing a BACO 415 Money bullet. 62gr also looks promising with a 1/2" vert x 2.5" horiz 4 shot group, 5th shot was 3" high (called). I've had similar horizontal groups later in the day and on other days as well. Is there something with the way I'm assembling the round that contributes to this horiz stringing (patch length, seating depth, neck tension, etc) or is it the fool behind the trigger? Recommendations / suggestions for either what to look for in assembling the round or what I need to do from a grip/hold on the rifle would be appreciated.

More info.
Sharps 40-65 w/LR Buf Soule and hooded front sight. Patch to bore, round mics out to either .3995 or .400 after patching. I run the boolit through a .395 push through sizing die to true it up and then patch right at the swag mark with 1/8" of the paper extending over the base. Each powder charge is individually weighed and brought up using a powder trickler. At this time I do not weigh/sort my boolits just ensure that they have sharp bases and no ripples. My assumption that since I'm only shooting @ 100 yards at the moment, weight variances won't show up in groups until longer ranges. Brass is all the same (starline ) .

Shooting off a bench using a home made bench X stick rest. No bags supporting the rifle. Just me and the X sticks. I've not done any serious rifle shooting but used to do a lot of pistol matches in my younger days (Bullseye, IPSC, PPC) so I'm aware of the importance of grip, sight picture, trigger, stance as they relate to good scores but need to apply that to long guns. Currently limited to a 100 yd public range but I'd like to try my hand at longer ranges once I've got a consistent load. Either BP Sillywett or Midrange Target.

Thanks
Mike

Don McDowell
11-08-2013, 09:59 PM
What was the wind doing?

Mike Malat
11-08-2013, 10:26 PM
It was all over the place today. From 12 , 3, and 6 o'clock. Between 5-15kts. That didn't include the swirls around the berm. I did "try" to limit my shots to when it was calm. I've seen these types of groups on calm days as well that's why I brought it up. New to this kind of shooting, would that kind of wind change the POI that far, 2", from just 100 yards?

Don McDowell
11-08-2013, 11:25 PM
Yup yer not in Kansas anymore toto,, wind and mirage that won't even make a 168 gr SMK blink, will pack your lunch with these things.

country gent
11-08-2013, 11:42 PM
Light changes can cause elevation issues also. Wind really does work on these bullets alot. A piece of surveyors tape or yarn about 3 feet long next to target and at 50 yards is a big help with seeing the wind.Light direction also makes a big diffrence. Mirage also is a factor than can help or hurt you.

Mike Malat
11-09-2013, 08:34 AM
Thanks. The education continues.

powderburnerr
11-09-2013, 01:01 PM
I would put a little piece off tape on your cheek and a matching one on your stock next session and see if they stay together when you shoot , if you dont hold the rifle correctly it will shift point of aim,

montana_charlie
11-09-2013, 01:56 PM
Is there something with the way I'm assembling the round that contributes to this horiz stringing
I doubt it.
If the vertical seems to have some consistency, the loads are probably assembled well enough to shoot a 'narrow' pattern ... if other things don't interfere.

Pick any fairly accurate load and practice with it. When you can keep the group 'round' ... even if it is a bit large ... you have it down. With that skill already in hand, further load development will give you results that you can trust.

CM

bigted
11-09-2013, 04:02 PM
that is great advise Charlie!

Mike Malat
11-09-2013, 09:38 PM
Powderburner, Thanks the tape or something similar is a good idea I'll try that the next time out out.
Charlie. I think I'm at the point where I have a load that I can use for practice. Looking back on my stack of targets/notes from my different sessions at the range it seems that the my rifle likes the 56-56.5 gr loads. I'll load up some and get some trigger time in and take a break from trying to find "the" load.