PDA

View Full Version : Favorite scope brand?

carbine86
11-08-2013, 07:02 PM
Looking to see if its pretty even across the board or favors to one or a few thanks. If other please state below. Also if you tend to stay away from one specific brand dont hesitate to let us know which and why thanks.

carbine86
11-08-2013, 07:19 PM
Well i started this voted for "Vortex" and somehow it went for bushnell/banner.

WallyM3
11-08-2013, 07:34 PM
Schmidt & Bender. One look and you'll know why.

alg3205
11-08-2013, 07:35 PM
I like the old Weaver and Burris scopes, they work.

M-Tecs
11-08-2013, 08:50 PM
1. NightForce 2. Schmidt & Bender 3. Leupold. NightForce and Schmidt & Bender track the best. That's the primary reason the military is using them in the Sandbox. NightForce is big with the F-class and long range shooters.

carbine86
11-08-2013, 08:51 PM
I had never heard of schidt and bender until now seems like they make a quality product.

WallyM3
11-08-2013, 09:20 PM

This gives you an idea of scale of their 33mm tube scopes.

nekshot
11-08-2013, 09:28 PM
I do alot of playing with scope comparison in morning and evening tests. Leopold always wins , the new weavers run second not by much and then it is the Simmons and every thing else after that. I look to see when I can actually define object and see the cross hair to shoot as light increases or decreases. What I have discovered is when comparing the simmons against the leopold, the simmons does not have the clarity of detail like the leopold and I usually adjust the eye piece till it is better( than before) or as good as the scope will give. Why I cannot get a simmons set right by itself I do not know, but compare it with another better scope shows the improvement I was missing. I prefer Leopolds but simmons is a good fit for folk limited on income. I have never had a new style simmons fail me.

nekshot
11-08-2013, 09:47 PM
one more comment I have. When the real clarity of a quality scope in dawn or dusk situations shows it generally is not legal hunting time anyhow. I am talking of 300 yards and less. So for actual legal hunting hours alot of the lesser quality scopes are more than adequate. Oh boy is this gonna go over like a lead balloon!

M-Tecs
11-08-2013, 09:56 PM
For me tracking and holding zero is far more important than clarity or light gathering.

dragon813gt
11-08-2013, 10:13 PM
Nikon, it's what my father(professional) and I(amateur) both use for cameras/lenses. I can't spend the money they want for a lot of scopes. Nikons are clear enough, gather enough light, don't fog and hold zero. I don't ask for anymore and of it gets damaged I'm not going to get to upset.

1Shirt
11-09-2013, 01:22 AM
I like what works and that I can afford. Usually Weavers/BSA/Simmons in that order.
1Shirt!

EDG
11-09-2013, 01:29 AM
I look for mechanical excellence and a lifetime warranty - that is Leupold.

All those super premium expensive $1000 scopes cut into my rifle budget and I see almost no advantage - none.

felix
11-09-2013, 12:02 PM
[QUOTE=M-Tecs;2468105]For me tracking and holding zero is far more important than clarity or light gathering.[/QUOTE

Absolutely! ... felix

nekshot
11-09-2013, 03:16 PM
the thread asks for results of brands you like and why,I gave mine. In over 42 years of using dozens of scopes I had 3 failures with water and one tracking failure. They were 1tasco and 2 bushnel banners. Lets hear all your horrow stories of tracking failures so we can be enlightened.

whelenshooter
11-09-2013, 05:12 PM
No Tasco option? :kidding:

I chose other. I own a bunch of tasco's (yep because they're cheap) and a vintage weaver. I love the weaver and appreciate the price of the tascos.

David

david

M-Tecs
11-09-2013, 05:30 PM
Tracking on a scope is one of the more misunderstood terms. A scope has to be truly ***** before it won’t track on the normal box test or any large movement. It’s the plus or minus a couple of minutes windage that separates the good scopes from the great scopes. If you can put on 1 ½ minutes left wind than 2 minutes right wind and go back and forth numerous times during a match without it jumping or sticking it tracks well.

Most scope users never notice if a scope take a couple of shots to settle into zero. The F-class, benchrest and Long Range Highpower shooters do. It is not uncommon to see them use the palm of their hand or a rubber mallet it hit the scope to get it to settle it in.

I can’t tell you how many to time I have added more wind and didn’t see any movement so I add more thinking I read the wind incorrectly and still not see any movement so I add still more only to have it jump to the correction for all three movements. While I am a Leupold fan they are not noted for great tracking. The NightForce and Schmidt & Bender are noted for great tracking as are the T-series Weavers.

If you are the type that sets you zero and you never change it tracking isn’t an issue as any movement generally settles in with a couple of shots. If you are the type that is always on the knobs tracking is the weak point of most scopes.

The only true failure that I had was with a Leupold on a recoilless spring piston air rifle. After about 30 shots the scope had a noticeable rattle from loose parts.

Post #4 has good info on how to improve tracking http://6mmbr.websitetoolbox.com/post?id=1875776&goto=nextnewest

"One way to help a scope track better is to always finish your adjustment turning the knob clockwise, (assuming RH adjustment threads). This is not my idea. I got it from the late Dick Thomas of Premier Reticles. For example, if you are making an adjustment that requires you to turn the knob in a counterclockwise direction, go past your intended adjustment by several clicks, and come back to it turning in a clockwise direction. If you do not follow this procedure, you are depending on the spring that tensions the erector tube against the adjustment screws to work perfectly. Friction may keep this from happening. There is also the issue of which side of the thread is loaded after the adjustment is finished."

more good info here http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f18/scope-tracking-repeatability-test-proceedure-65594/

birch
11-09-2013, 05:32 PM
Redfields (revolutions) and Leupoulds--Cheap and lifetime warranty regardless of original purchaser. How can a feller go wrong?

Magana559
11-09-2013, 05:51 PM
Bushnell or counterpoint. I'm cheap and they work

Smoke4320
11-09-2013, 05:55 PM
if we are talking about Hunting scopes Leupold, Zeiss Conquest then Nikon, .. Light gathering, repeatable adjustments and real lifetime warranty.. Althought you will probably never need the warranty..
for a more budget scope Vortex..
If you need to go cheaper than Vortex the new Leupold made Redfield Revolution
Most of my hunting rifles wear Leupold , a 458 Socom has a Zeiss Conquest
years ago I shot 1000 Yd competition using a 6.5x20 Leupold .. it never let me down ..
as a matter of fact 5 leupolds have never let me down..

TXGunNut
11-10-2013, 01:13 PM
Leupold VX-3. It doesn't take many medium-priced scope failures to add up to a VX-3, I just can't afford them for every rifle. Good quality glass isn't all that uncommon today; coatings, mechanicals and durability are what sets a great scope apart from a good one.

Kanitz8541
11-11-2013, 01:57 AM
For the money luepold is compared to extremely high end scopes all though there glass doesn't come as close. I have spent a lot of time behind Schmidt's and there awesome but very expensive. Another favorite is the older Zeiss and defiantly the glass on a swavorski is hard to beat. The only scope I don't particularly care for is the Night Force. They are a very well made scope. The first couple I looked through had an open mill reticle and I just didn't care for them. It would be interesting to see a pole on the least liked scopes and the problems that arise with them.

Love Life
11-11-2013, 02:27 AM
Leupold is solid, but they got lazy and got kicked off the top of the heap for some uses. They have come out swinging this year though.

I prefer steiner.

Dutchninja
11-11-2013, 11:13 AM
FWIW - I like Trijicon scopes. I've topped all my rifles with them with various models. Good glass, very durable, and their customer service is great. I had my Barrett slip off a table while I was cleaning it (had it on the bipod and too close to the edge of my table, dumb dumb dumb) and just like butter toast it fell right on the turrets onto the concrete. Sent the scope in and they had to adjust the windage tracking a bit and replaced the turret knob at my cost ($20) because the concrete chewed it up a bit. As it was falling and I saw it hit, I thought I just lost a $1K scope. I'd say that's pretty tough all things considered. However I do not want to try other brands durability the same way either.

I have set up and shot my neighbors Nikon scope 3-9 mill dot (forget the model off hand) but found that it was a good scope for a mid range price.

cbrick
11-12-2013, 08:24 AM
I voted Leupold BUT - only because I have more experience with them and little or no experience with most of the scopes listed. I also have Burris scopes & like them but the Leupold's are brighter. Would I have voted Leupold if I had experience with all of the scopes listed? Dunno, probably, maybe, could be, maybe not.

Rick

winelover
11-12-2013, 08:39 AM
I'll second the Trijicons. Like the fact that they do not use batteries, so you don't have to remember to turn them off. Fully automatic for different light situations. No rheostats to fiddle with! I use their Accudots on my rifles and Reflexes on my carbines. My bows, handguns and shotguns are outfitted with their Armson OEG's. However, just recently learned that Trijicon is no longer supporting (re-lamping) the OEG's! :groner: I have six that are need of re-lamping. They still work but have lost their low-light capabilities.

I am trying out replacements, but I need red-dots that will accept 1" rings, for most of my applications. The best I have found is the Ultra-Dot but I find them too bright for dawn and dusk applications. The only solution I have come up with is to use a double layer of black nylon hosiery, held in place with a Butler Creek flip-up lens cover, over the eye piece. Still stuck with the manual manipulations.:sad:

Leupold is my second most favorite scope brand. However, I had to send back one of their lighted reticule models, several times before they finally got it to work properly.

Winelover

kenyerian
11-12-2013, 09:08 AM
Back in the 70's I really liked Unertls for my long range shooting. Since they have been closed since 2008 I will probably buy a Schmidt & Bender for my next one. For my pistols I've been happpy with Burris .

lefty o
11-12-2013, 10:56 AM
my #1 choice in scopes is nightforce. have several, and love them.

35 shooter
11-18-2013, 12:54 AM
Leupold! Just went thru 2 of another brand in 3 months that wouldn't track like they were supposed nor hold vertical adjustment. Bought another leupold...problem solved. Never had a problem in almost 40 years with leupold and the new one seems just as solid.

11-18-2013, 03:21 AM
Surprised Sightron haven't got a mention, here in Aus they are slowly getting a following.
What's not to like, lifetime warranty, something to suit every budget.
The ones I have used have been at least the equal of similar spec Leupolds and at a significant cost saving.
Even their entry level scopes have the lifetime warranty undercut the redfield range on price and to my eyes are better optics.

Win94ae
11-19-2013, 07:02 PM
Lets hear all your horrow stories of tracking failures so we can be enlightened.

I had 2 Bushnell 3200 scopes stop tracking. One died after 19 shots from a 30-30, the other died before 200 shots from the same 30-30.

The $50 BSA that I bought before the 3200s, is still going strong... now on my 30-06.

Jim Flinchbaugh
11-20-2013, 01:41 PM
The best scope I have ever owned is a Kahles 3-9x. I paid 401 bucks for it like 15 years ago, near a grand now.
I wish I had bought 2 or 3 more before the price started climbing.

I have a cheaper Sightron and its a decent scope, but not outstanding.
I also love the Leupold 2.5-8 VX3 on my 308. very nice unit

RedneckRob
11-20-2013, 04:08 PM
Zeiss 4-6 power with the German # 1 reticle has always worked for me. Now I'm trying a Meopta 1.5x6x42 #4 that so far, is the equal under the same conditions. All the new name brand scopes seem to be a lot better quality than when I was younger.

alrighty
11-20-2013, 06:17 PM
My favorite is Leupold , I have always been pleased with them.I have one Vortex , a viper pst mounted on an AR that is as clear as any Leupold and tracks as it is supposed to.I also have a couple of the Bushnell elite's that work fine for what I need but not as clear.
I recently bought a used Steyr Mannlicher carbine in .243 with a Nikon coyote special.A big scope on this little rifle and I had every intention of swapping it out for a more practical Leupold 2.5x8.The Nikon has really surprised me , The light gathering is not quite as good as Leupold but the clarity is very close.It is still a little early but as of now I would not hesitate to buy another one.
I have had several scopes and have experienced a few bad ones along the way but not many.

1hole
11-20-2013, 07:35 PM
NightForce, Swarvoski. Kahles is good too.

Frank46
11-21-2013, 12:36 AM
Sure wish the poll had more choices. So I'm gonna name some names. Leupold, Nikon,Zeiss and last but not least. The old no longer made Lyman All American scopes. I've got two of these. One a straight 6 power and the other is a 10x with AO and fine cross hairs. The latter one will go on a marting heavy barreled 22 rf setup with the thick walled 12/15 receiver. Frank

musty nugget
11-21-2013, 02:34 PM
Leupold VX-3, old Weaver K series and new Trijicon with fiber optic dot. All will walk the square and none have failed me yet.

wallenba
11-21-2013, 02:50 PM
Leupold and Redfield also now. Just bought my first Nikon too. So far, real nice!

Lloyd Smale
11-23-2013, 09:26 AM
Ive owned about all of them through the years. Still like leupold and nikon products the best. Any gun that might be used to hunt big game with or any serious varmiting gun gets either a leupold or a nikon monarch.

USMC87
11-23-2013, 09:57 AM
My vote is for simmons whitetail classic, They zero well for me and I've never had a problem.

texasnative46
11-23-2013, 04:50 PM
To All,

WAFFEN BENEWITZ (of "K-town", Germany) sells a "no name" scope that is a "dead ringer" for a Zeiss and at less than half the price. = Zeiss quality is hard to beat, imVho.
(IF you have a friend who is stationed near K-town, you would do well to ask him/her to buy one for you, should you need a scope.)

yours, tn46

enfieldphile
11-23-2013, 05:39 PM
[QUOTE=M-Tecs;2468105]For me tracking and holding zero is far more important than clarity or light gathering.[/QUOTE

Absolutely! ... felix

Yes sir! w/ that said, Modern:Weaver Classic: Unertl

Unertl Programmer 36X, On my Remington 37
http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q228/ultramag44/36X%20Programmer/36Xa.jpg
http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q228/ultramag44/Remington%2037/R37c_zpsdecd3ab0.jpg

Weaver 36X on my Remington 40XR BR KS
http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q228/ultramag44/Remington%2040X%20R%20BR-KS/40XRange2.jpg
http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q228/ultramag44/Remington%2040X%20R%20BR-KS/40XRange3.jpg

joehaberxxx
11-23-2013, 09:32 PM
I voted for Leupold because I use them on every one of my rifles except one - Its a Burris. But I have to say that my Leupold AR doesn't track worth a darn

Janoosh
11-23-2013, 09:43 PM
I'm liking the older Weaver scopes, especially a K8/K10. I have a BSA Catseye that is a great little scope, I use it on my Baikal over/under 12/223. But, the scope I use for when it matters is a Bausch and Lomb, 2.5 x 8, baleight. Great scope, crystal clear, tapered cross hairs, nothing better!

birch
11-24-2013, 12:49 AM
I put a Redfield Revolution for my old Model 70 and could not be happier. They are made in the same factory as Leupold and have a no questions asked warranty that transfers without paperwork. My 4-12-40 collects a lot of light and tracks true. Make sure you get the Revolution series. The Redfield Rage are made overseas somewhere.

Speedo66
12-06-2013, 07:20 PM
I used an original Redfield Frontier for many years and was happy with it. Held its zero, despite a few minor drops, rattling in a car trunk, etc.

Now shoot a Nikon, quite happy with it, like the lifetime warranty. Good value for the money.

My shooting is eastern woods, rarely a shot past 60 yards, tough to even find a 100 yard shooting range.

HawkCreek
12-12-2013, 03:45 PM
I voted for Leupold because they stand behind their product. All but two of my scopes are Leupold, one is a Trijicon ACOG on my AR and the other a Burris 2-7 Handgun but mounted on a Ruger Frontier as a scout scope.

Leupold got a customer for life when I sent them a third hand (I was at least the third if not later owner) VX-II that had the windage screw stripped out by the previous owner. I sent a note asking them for a quote before doing any repair work to the scope. I got it back with a bill for the shipping and a note saying all Leupold scopes are warrantied for the life of the scope. I havent needed their warranty work before or since that time but once was good enough for me.

They gather light very well, hold their zero (and value) and are tough. I like um! In fact the last time I used the VX-II mentioned above was this October. Dropped a coyote at 400 yards on the last day of deer season.

MT Chambers
12-12-2013, 07:45 PM
My favorite scope is a Swarovski that my father gave me, 1.5-6 30mm STEEL tube, heavy and clear as anything, my favorite USA made scope is Unertl, although I have all brands, Leupold, Bushnell, Hawke, MTC, Weaver, Vortex and they are all reliable, I just won't buy a cheap scope. Murphy's law says "a cheap scope will fail at the wrong time".

felix
12-12-2013, 08:03 PM
There is no reason today for a scope not to be razor clear/sharp. B&L's polycarbonate patent should have run out some time ago. That optical quality "glass" is perfect for hard kicking guns because of its very, very low inertia compared to silicon glass. This lower inertia will also provide a much lower error in scope adjustments as well, assuming the same quality of components making those adjustments (cross hairs in the glass). Why should a scope cost any more than 500 bucks for the best is beyond me. ... felix

clownbear69
12-12-2013, 08:07 PM
Hunting scopes zeiss

Tactical/long distance night force but the vortex pst has promise

John Boy
12-12-2013, 09:51 PM
Favorite Scope Brands? The Oldies but Goodies!
http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/dd220/Meadowmucker/Stevens%20CPA/CPAScopes_zpsf7f1897f.jpg (http://s222.photobucket.com/user/Meadowmucker/media/Stevens%20CPA/CPAScopes_zpsf7f1897f.jpg.html)
The 3rd one down is the 1 5/8" Fecker Challenger - very few made

roots911
12-16-2013, 03:49 PM
I just put Sightrons on two rifles. The light gathering is great, clarity is equal to Leupold, and tracking is excellent. Plus it comes with a lifetime warrenty and at a lower cost!

CPL Lou
12-16-2013, 07:08 PM
Love the Weaver Classic line.
Never let me down and reasonably priced.

CPL Lou

Cane_man
12-17-2013, 03:53 PM
imo hard to beat Nikon for value...

77ruger
12-19-2013, 07:08 AM
Leupold..Tried some others, than back to Leupold

fouronesix
12-24-2013, 09:19 PM
I voted for Leupold, but also like the older Denver Redfield (non-click adj. and all), the older Bushnell and the SII Sightron (never tried the SI or SIII).

I've had and used many brands/varieties and have had very few problems with most.

After Redfield sold out, the brand came back with a low-end whatever it was called. Never owned one but personally saw several of them shoot cr*ps. I don't know how their most recent iteration is under Leupold ownership?

I had a Leupold M8 4X go south for no apparent reason.

Never had a problem with a Burris, but their exit pupil and range of usable eye relief along with sub-par resolution was always disappointing. I understand some of their current, more expensive models are excellent though.

So, none of them are bullet proof and some are better than others.

ravelode
12-27-2013, 12:42 PM
Nikon fan here {especially their discontinued:( Monarch 4x and 6x fixed} by far some of the brightest low light scopes I've ever seen. Of course I'm a fixed power scope fanatic. The varmint scopes of my choice are the Bushnell 10x tactical and the Weaver KT15. The only variable scopes I own were given to me, or part of a trade. I do own the last steel tube IOR/Valdada 1" 6x42 SSG imported into the US. I love everything about it EXCEPT the external turrets don't lock, that cost me a deer once. So i put it on a varmint rifle.

TheCelt
12-27-2013, 05:03 PM
Most of my scopes are Nikon Buckmasters and I like them a lot. I saved for a Loooong time and got a NightForce NXS 8-32 with an NP-R2 reticule. Stunning clarity and probably the best Optic I've ever used. It's a bit big but works well on the LR rifles.

shdwlkr
12-28-2013, 07:10 PM
Leupold vx-7 got three of them and a cdc and a bunch of cheaper one also. I buy a scope based on it purpose in life and yes sometimes that hits the wallet rather hard, but you only get one go around in this life so buy what works for you and forget who makes it.
I have a vortex, Simons, tasco, weaver, bushnell that I can think of besides my Leupolds

kootne
12-30-2013, 08:41 PM
I may sound like the biggest fool here but my old model 70 '06 that Dad gave me about 1969 has a Weaver K3 that is the most reliable thing ever. I cracked the rear lens in a fall on a rockslide in 1972, so bad about 1/3 is not visible to see through. In 40 years it has never fogged. The only time the impact changed is 2 times I had to find another stock because of horses falling down and rolling over. If I can see it, I can hit it. When I used to guide, I had many hunters who would have some fancy rifle, big scope, mangle-um cartridge that would take a shot under 100 yards with a rest at a bull elk that had no idea we were there and land a shell square in the guts. Those scopes and rifles were probably just fine but it is as it always was; 90% Indian and 10% bow & arrow. People tease me about my wore out looking gun with busted scope, I just smile mostly, 'cept for this rant.
kootne

Clay M
01-05-2014, 08:22 PM
I have Leupold on most of my hunting rifles. I use the Burris Xtreme Tactical XTR on my .308 target rifles.

Wolfer
01-25-2014, 12:09 PM
90% Indian and 10% bow and arrow! I couldn't agree more.
I didn't read this entire thread so I may have missed something. When I was young I got along fine with Tasco's. I could see well enough and they were in my budget. The budget hasn't changed much but my eyes have. Now if I shoot too long a Tasco will blur out on me. I can shoot a Leoupold, Weaver, Bausch & Lomb all day without eye fatigue.
Like Nekshot I've compared a lot of scopes side by side and will sometimes be surprised. Once while comparing a Tasco a Simmons and a weaver at a bush about 400 yds away near dusk the first thing I looked at was brightness. Simmons came in first then Tasco with the Weaver last. On checking for detail, with the Tasco I could see the bush plainly, the Simmons I could pick out individual branches, even though the weaver was dark I could plainly see individual leaves.

Tracking. While I don't tend to adjust a lot so this is not extremely important to me my KT weaver and the ones that say accutrak on them are the best I've got.
The others I lump in the same boat. They track pretty good when their new but 10 years down the road the they need a little settling in.
All that being said if I go to buy a scope for a hunting rifle it will be one of the cheaper Leoupld's. Their clear, reliable and the warranty is second to none. The only one I've had to send back was when another horse kicked my horse and hit the rifle in the scabbard.
I've sent a few Tasco's in for repair ( not holding zero ) and they have always stood behind them 100% so I can't complain about their warranty. I just can't see through them anymore.
I can't afford a Leoupld vari x 3 so all of mine are vari x2s or rifleman. I'm very pleased with them.
My clearest scope is a 5 x 15 x 50 bauch and Lomb. It sets on one of my 223s and I can usually see 22 cal holes in the target at 200 yds. It's a bit bulky to suit me though.
Just some random thoughts. Woody

David2011
01-26-2014, 03:47 PM
Not sure what my favorite scope is but the Bushnell Elite Tactical (fixed) 10X is probably the best bargain in rifle scopes. It's bright, sharp and tracks well. The reticle and turret intervals are both in Mil-dots unlike many scopes that have a Mil reticle and 1/" click intervals. It has enough power for shots to 400-500 yards on targets or coyotes but is still useful at 75-100 yards.

I'm also pretty impressed with the cost/benefit of the Redfield Revolutions. My main hunting rifle has a 4-12X and so far I have no issues with it. Leupold accessories fit the front end as an added benefit. I put one of the long sunshades on it because I end up shooting in the direction of the setting sun pretty often and it really helps with flare.

David

Hawkeye45
01-27-2014, 04:19 PM
All of my scopes are Leopold (and eo-tec) except one bushnell on an old -06 I got in trade.
No trouble with any of them.

Mr. Ed

Butler Ford
01-27-2014, 04:25 PM
US Optics! Like'em better than NightForce!

BF

Love Life
01-28-2014, 01:41 AM
I sure miss the good old days when my $25 tasco rimfire scope was all I needed. It came from the factory with bubbles in the lenses, but that scope has been on my 10/22 for over a decade and has always hit where I aimed. It has been dropped, slid, stepped on, and it still works.

I also have a tasco varmint that I tortured on a 308 for awhile. It ate many hundreds of rounds, bounced around on the backseat of my truck, and still works fine. I enjoyed that scope because I won a good bit of money with it on that 308 shooting quite far.

Vortex was a good thing to happen to the scope market as they put a lot of scope makers on their toes. Leupold got kicked off the heap, but are slowly climbing back up.

The mark 4 tactical is still one of the best tactical ninja scopes in it's price bracket.

Ahhhh, good times.

MTtimberline
01-28-2014, 11:34 PM
Leupold..Tried some others, than back to Leupold
This is my experience as well. End up with another Leupold when I run out of bad words to call the cheaper one I tried. I gave up on that practice and just save for the Leupold now.

enfieldphile
02-05-2014, 08:51 AM
Unertl!

Squeeze
02-05-2014, 12:38 PM
I have Leupold on almost all my scoped guns, they are proven great scopes with a great customer service and warranty record. Everyone now loves to endorse Zeiss, Swarofski, Trijicon, Nightforce, etc. they may be good, but to me they are not as good as their price would justify any better. I have looked through several display models, and at least to my eye and under store lighting conditions, I can not see the justification. The old standby, "you get what you pay for" Does not always hold true, at least for me. Maybe for those with unlimited funding, But for me, where value is king, I just cant see it. Im willing to spend a bit more for quality, especially for a hunting rifle where I depend on its performance under any conditions. I have several custom built rifles and muzzleloaders all topped with Leupold. Through travel and all sorts of adverse conditions, in any environment, They have proven their reliability to me

Bullshop
02-05-2014, 01:34 PM
SWFA in less than a season of coyote hunting went to the top of my list. There may be better but not in my price range.

Love Life
02-05-2014, 02:48 PM
SWFA are pretty legit and alot of scope for the money.

BruceB
02-05-2014, 05:40 PM
My experience (and opinion) parallels that of Squeeze.

While I own and use quite a variety of scope brands, my hunting rifles and other "serious-purpose" rifles all carry Leupolds, with the single prominent exception of a Bushnell 3200 "Firefly" mounted on a DSA-built FAL. That Bushnell was bought for its particular features for that role, and it has served well.

Many other makes do very well on my rifles, but hard experience has proven (to me, anyway) that rock-bottom brands simply do not pay off in the long run when placed in hard service.

Also, there is much more to a scope's utility than simple optical quality. The best optical glass, light transmission, clarity, coatings, and you-name-it, are WORTHLESS if the scope will not adjust accurately, and most importantly, if it will not HOLD ZERO under severe conditions.

To me, all those "optical quality" factors are far, far less important than the confidence I have that when the time comes to make a difficult shot, my sight will still be in proper adjustment despite whatever rigors it went through on the way to the firing point.

My thirteen or fourteen Leupolds have NEVER, repeat: NEVER let me down in any way. The optical quality is ample for my uses, and the mechanical durability is superb.

(I don't work for the outfit, nor do I get paid for testimonials.... I just REALLY appreciate what the instruments do for me. Maybe that's why I have over a dozen?)

CAVEAT: I just realized that I'm speaking of circumstances which have changed.... many of the rifles stayed with my wife in the recent divorce, so now I'm down to about a measly half-dozen Leupolds. However, my opinion hasn't changed....

Love Life
02-05-2014, 06:19 PM
Leupold is legit.

BruceB hit it on the head. Optical quality, while important, is not the end all be all. Not to long ago I sat on a hillside in below freezing tempuratures while it snowed waiting for a song dog to come into my killing zone. After hours of that temp and snow, a song dog finally came trotting in, and came to a stop 400 yds out. I picked the rifle up (snow fell off as over an inch had accumulated on the turrets, body, and rifle) dialed in 1.4 mils, and sent the coyote to his maker. That is what I need from a scope. One that holds zero, tracks true, and whose adjustments don't get all funky due to weather.

For hunting scopes I like Leupold unless I can scoop up a Swarovski Habicht on the cheap. For ninja scopes I prefer Steiner.

For rock bottom scopes I prefer Tasco.

GabbyM
02-05-2014, 07:18 PM
I marked Burris.
Also have and like Leupold then old and newer Weavers.

What's frustrating is companies constantly changing models around.

pull the trigger
02-16-2014, 11:18 AM
I bought a savage bull barrel 22 and it came with a bushnell that did not adjust at all right from gander hill. instead of taking it back I just took it off and put on a leupold. I figured they would just send me another one that would be juck again sooner or later.

Also traded fro a 3-9x50 vxII leupold for my dad. He had a 3-10x50 simmons that fogged up bad and could not get them to warantee. He was blown away by the quality difference. Plus I felt really good to give my dad something so nice.:wink:

Cmm_3940
02-16-2014, 05:12 PM
Some of these brands make cheap *** scopes barely suitable for a BB gun along with making decent products in the higher price ranges. That said, my next scope will be a Burris.

Jr.
02-16-2014, 11:26 PM
SWFA reliable, repeatable, and cost friendly. Voted other obviously

Hickok
02-24-2014, 12:03 PM
Leupold, followed closely by Burris.

Rotortuner
03-08-2014, 11:34 PM
Night Force. the amount of come ups in the 5.5-22 NXS is awesome and getting turrets that match the reticle is a must. They are pretty much bullet proof and have good glass. a big step up from Leupold IMO. I have owned both. Sold my mark 4 and never looked back. the turrets on the NF are asesome. super smooth and very accurate clicks.

my 2nd choice would probably be vortex. they are cheaper but a good value.

CJG

Agrotom
03-15-2014, 12:04 AM
The new Weaver optics are great!!! I have a couple and would compare them with any scope in their price range..[smilie=2:

yoter
03-20-2014, 10:45 PM
Burris, Redfield and Nikon.

Not sold on lifetime warranties since my lifetime might be longer than the manufacturer. If the company goes out of business, changes hands or files bankrupcy... there goes their lifetime warranty. A good example is a USA (Denver) Redfied scope I bought back when they were top of the line. The scope needs repair, but I outlived the company and their lifetime warranty.

rollmyown
03-29-2014, 02:52 AM
I like European glass the best. I don't presently have any but I have used it and for clarity and low light performance it cant be beaten. I have a few Leupolds (VX3's and 2's) and some cheap brands.They are OK but optically they can't touch the euro stuff. That said If i could see as well though a good scope in all conditions as I could see through a cheapie 30 years ago I'd be happy.

Sadly there's no substitute for young eyes. Something I never appreciated all those years ago.

Groovy
04-18-2014, 01:43 PM
I like Leupold for their long track record and customer service. I would say that Nightforce NXS 3.5-15x50 is the best scope that I have used but I'll never afford one for all rifles. You can usually find Leupolds on sale a few times a year, and they still do Military discounts on their tactical scopes.

Hafast
05-30-2014, 09:53 AM
Sightron is my pick of the litter.

captbligh
05-30-2014, 11:42 AM
Just got back a 1971 manufactured Leupold M8 2X EER scope that I suspected of group wandering. Sent it to Leupold - they replaced the eyepiece lense, the windage and elevation adjustment, did a complete tear down and inscpection. Cost - $0.00. Turn around - 8 days. Can't beat their customer service, plus I like the quality of their glass.

Buzzard II
05-30-2014, 08:17 PM
Early Simmons slug gun scope-JUNK!. Missed a deer, crosshairs were off. Resighted in scope. Missed another deer. Simmons replaced the scope and I promptly sold the replacement. Leupold slug gun scope is now my scope of choice-DRT-first shot everytime!

Buzz64
05-31-2014, 12:04 AM
Vortex - viper or diamondback series

izzyjoe
06-01-2014, 12:01 PM
I used a Tasco world class for years on top of a mark x 270, it did what i wanted it to do. My lovely wife got me a leupold rifleman for christmas, so it replaced the tasco, i will say that is clearer, and i can see better in low light. But to honest, i would just as well served with the old tasco. I also have one of the new Redfield revelotion 2x7 on my 336, now that is a nice scope for the money, and perfect size for a levergun. For my uses i cant see spending $500 for a scope, unless i was shooting competition, but hey i'm cheap! To each his own.

fastfire
06-03-2014, 12:02 PM
Nightforce........Buy once cry once!!!!

gpidaho
06-09-2014, 10:05 PM
1. Nightforce 2.Vortex 3.Sightron

gwpercle
06-11-2014, 04:41 PM
I can't believe you did not put Weaver on that poll. You must be under 40. Back in the day the Weaver K-4 was the scope to have. Now days they are even better.
But this is from some guy who still drives a 1968 Chevelle , so maybe you shouldn't listen to what I have to say.

PAT303
06-17-2014, 04:48 AM
The British put S&B scopes on their 105mm field guns and use them in direct fire mode,can't ask for a better example of how tough they are than that. Pat

Suo Gan
06-17-2014, 10:33 AM
It looks good but how in the world do you get any kind of repeatable cheek weld? Too many things in this world today are sold on looks and cost hype and that is a fact. When your eye is five-six inches above the comb who cares how much you spent or how good the thing looks. It is just stupid.

This gives you an idea of scale of their 33mm tube scopes.

Love Life
06-17-2014, 11:44 AM
It looks good but how in the world do you get any kind of repeatable cheek weld? Too many things in this world today are sold on looks and cost hype and that is a fact. When your eye is five-six inches above the comb who cares how much you spent or how good the thing looks. It is just stupid.

Lower rings and/or an adjustable cheek rest will solve the issue.

No need to be insulting to a person for their choice in optics and how they set it up on their rifle. Additionally, S&B are worth the money and run circles around your Leupolds, Burris, Bushnell, Redfield etc class of scopes. That is historical fact that you can argue against until you are blue in the face. It has taken this long for the scope market to finally start to catch up to the capabilities S&B has had for a looooooooong time.

10 ga
06-17-2014, 01:29 PM
I like the old Weaver and Burris scopes, they work.

Dittos " " , same here. That is what I got on my old rifles and they are still working. They aint broke and I see no reason to change them. 10

snowwolfe
08-17-2014, 11:57 AM
In the last 40 years I had one scope break (crosshair wire) and it was a Bushnell 4x mounted on a .22 rifle. I did return one Sightron which was defective from the factory. Never had another scope break or fog up, ever, and I hunted in Alaska for over 30 years where we were drenched and cold then went into warm tents. This was about the worse conditions possible.

A scope is mechanical and all will fail eventually. Its how the failure is handled that is important. This is why the vast majority of my scopes are now Leupold but Zeiss is gaining ground as I love their fast focus eyepiece. One strange tidbit is I personally knew three different guys who had Nightforce scopes fog up within a one year period. And all failed on very expensive hunts.