PDA

View Full Version : Need help with old friend

Beekeeper
11-08-2013, 06:14 PM
Lets see where to start? I know, I have read all the stickeys and licked the pages over on Cast Pics!
One of the first pieces of loading equipment I bought back in 1962 was a Redding #1 5-0-5 beam scale.
Paid the grand sum of $5.00 for it.
It has served me faithfully all of these years, not always weighing powder,brass or boolits!
My children used it to weigh fools gold when they were little and dry panned for it in the Desert.
Now after all of these years it seems to be getting old (like me) and sometimes misses the weight.
Remove the pan and shake (the pan) and reset it on scale and it will read right..

Am looking for instructions on cleaning, maybe burnishing the pins and "V",s

I know that a new electronic scale would be maybe easier to use but like a pair of old shoes I am just more comfortable using my old scale and want to give it enough new life to last as long as I do.
If you know of instruction on how to revive it let me know.

beekeeper

brassrat
11-08-2013, 09:03 PM
Maybe some brake cleaner and q-tips?

Lance Boyle
11-09-2013, 08:19 PM
I cleaned my pivots and nylon blocks with a qtip and rubbing alcohol. Mine was getting a touch retarded by dust mostly I think.

leeggen
11-09-2013, 09:15 PM
If you will remove the beam from the scales when done it will last longer. Dad had one that the bearing surface wore out rapidly, twice in just a couple months. Come to find out the washer was vibrating the scales and would cause the bearing surface to wear. I to this day remove the beam and cover the scale with a rag to prevent dust and vibration from possibly wearing the surface. Most are replaceable just order some new ones if they will sell to you.
CD

LUCKYDAWG13
11-09-2013, 09:24 PM
i would contact redding i think they will refurbish your old friend
i have the same scale and the matching powder measure my dad
bought in 1958/62 and i still use the measure all the time i did
upgrade the scale though

engineer401
11-10-2013, 12:09 PM
A friend of mine who used to calibrate scales among other things once told me to keep the knives clean. I took his advice and have been happy with the results. Like the earlier post says, a Q-Tip and alcohol will do most of the work.

Garyshome
11-10-2013, 12:15 PM
I'll do it.