PDA

View Full Version : Corned gunpowder usability question?

Desertbuck
11-08-2013, 02:34 PM
What do you guys think this is my first attempt at really Corning gunpowder does the stuff on the left look usable to you? I'm intending this for use in a 45 colt rifle specifically a Rossi 92 with a 24 inch octagonal barrel just want to know what you guys think.

Desertbuck
11-08-2013, 05:04 PM
I also want to know if I would get more usable powder if I allowed the pucks to dry before I granulated them? The reason for me wanting higher yields of usable gunpowder is that I am doing this on an extremely small scale here's a picture of what I tools I have.

Desertbuck
11-08-2013, 05:24 PM
And here's what I have to show for working since 9 o'clock this morning not very much as you can see the stuff on the right is stuff I consider usable stuff on the left to my eyes way to fine for use. The good news is though I just compared it with goex black powder by volume and weighed them and my powder was only about a half a grain lighter so I'm very happy with its density. I do remember reading somewhere in the do it yourself black powder sticky that guys were getting a lot of fines. I just want to know if anyone has a better way of getting higher yields?
OOPS! I just remembered that my powder is still a little damp so the density weight is more than likely a little off I will reweigh after my powder as dried.

waksupi
11-08-2013, 09:26 PM
You may need to hunt down the powder making thread to post this, so more see it.

Boz330
11-12-2013, 02:49 PM
You need to completely dry the pucks. I set mine in the sun which drys them pretty good.
You might consider getting a 20 mesh and 30 mesh screen. IIRC I got mine from McMaster-Carr. In my testing I got best results from 3F which was held on the 30 mesh screen. The fines are re-wetted and pressed again and start all over. You will end up with more fines than anything else. I see you have a coffee grinder, just run the larger granulation's back through the grinder.

Bob

Desertbuck
11-12-2013, 03:50 PM
Thank Boz330
Good mesh screens are all Im lacking now.

Desertbuck
11-15-2013, 08:01 PM
Just an update with some pictures I'm quite pleased with how much powder my little setup can make. I did burn test this afternoon and I think I answered my question myself. Quite satisfactory if I do say so myself:D. I will let you all know how good it shoots when I get around to it. Still saving enough funds for my new Rossi 92.

bigted
11-16-2013, 03:24 PM
ahhh you guys are gonna keep this foolishness up till I have to give it a try. I swear ... I haveta stop reading these infernal powder making posts !!!

now I have all the stuff to start except the charcoal. thanks a bunch ... as if I needed another "hobby" sheesh .