PDA

View Full Version : Who Made this??

redleg105
11-08-2013, 12:23 PM
Came with a lot of reloading gear. Does anyone know who made this? The ram is threaded and thev shell holder is No. 21

codgerville@zianet.com
11-08-2013, 01:05 PM
Came with a lot of reloading gear. Does anyone know who made this? The ram is threaded and thev shell holder is No. 21
It has the look of Herters.

rmcc
11-08-2013, 01:52 PM
Definitely a Herters!! Either a #3 or maybe an #81.

rmcc

danomano
11-08-2013, 03:13 PM
I agree Herter's

gwpercle
11-08-2013, 06:49 PM
Is that all you got ? If you had the rest of the press it can be put back in service. CH-4D sells replacement rams for snap in shell holders and adapters for screw-in conversion so you can use snap in holders. What else you get in the lot?

Gary

starmac
11-08-2013, 07:07 PM
I am no expert, but wells made some of the same, and I think echo did too. Likely they were all made in the same place just with different names.

Pressman
11-08-2013, 07:43 PM
It is an RF Wells. The shellholders are interchangeable with Herter's. ECHO will also fit. Wells used the smaller 3/4" dia ram as compared to Herter's and the short thread shank.
The Herter's presses that used the thread on shellholder were the little Model 27, the Model 3M (these were red not Herter's brown) and the Model 9A based on the Bullet Maker swagging frame. Also painted red.
Ken

cheese1566
11-08-2013, 07:51 PM
I have a Wells press. Got it for a project, but only got far polishing the ram. Lost interest in it since I don't have room on the bench and those shellholders are darn hard to find! Found adapters on the Internet, but haven't gotten that far.

plmitch
11-08-2013, 10:20 PM
I have a Wells press. Got it for a project, but only got far polishing the ram. Lost interest in it since I don't have room on the bench and those shellholders are darn hard to find! Found adapters on the Internet, but haven't gotten that far.

Nice looking press! Looks like its super duty.

srpc1
11-10-2013, 12:35 AM
A friend that got me started into the club i shoot at gave me one of his old press.
It looks like the wells one posted, and also looks like the parts you posted, but mine is a Bystrom Brothers press made in minnesota. The shell holders like pictured are near impossible to find as bystrom has ceased their productions.
I was able to buy 2 from them before this happened. I have one for 38cal and 45acp.
If anybody knows where to get adapters or replacement rams so i can also use this press with the new style shell holders i would appreciate any info.

EDG
11-10-2013, 02:47 AM
Pressman
You should write a highly illustrated book.

It is an RF Wells. The shellholders are interchangeable with Herter's. ECHO will also fit. Wells used the smaller 3/4" dia ram as compared to Herter's and the short thread shank.
The Herter's presses that used the thread on shellholder were the little Model 27, the Model 3M (these were red not Herter's brown) and the Model 9A based on the Bullet Maker swagging frame. Also painted red.
Ken

Pressman
11-10-2013, 07:37 AM
EDG, I have a goal to do just that. But first I have to retire and that is some time off, then I have to convince my wife that I need to write and not take her shopping and work on honey do projects.
Ken

cheese1566
11-10-2013, 10:00 AM
If anybody knows where to get adapters or replacement rams so i can also use this press with the new style shell holders i would appreciate any info.

CH4D offers one...$44 though.
http://www.ch4d.com/equipment/presses/herters

Vega Tool used to make them too, but unsure if they are still around.
Vega Tool Co.
4865 Tanglewood Court
Boulder, CO 80301
ClanLaird@aol.com

deadlink...http://www.vegatool.com/

JonB_in_Glencoe
11-10-2013, 12:03 PM
I was told that RF Wells (of Howard Lake MN...just 30 miles from me) made Presses and Dies and other reloading items for Herters til ole George screwed him, Then Wells started making them under his name as well as Bystrom (out of Minneapolis) and maybe others as well.
Back in the mid 1990's, before I started reloading, I bought all the reloading equipment and supplies from a elderly fellow in Glencoe, with decaying health. He told me, he bought all his equipment NEW back in the 50's and 60s. A mix Herters and RF Wells. He told me the story above as well. He also mentioned that he bought the RF Wells dies and such after Herters started selling other equipment, as he felt that the RF Wells was Higher quality.

mdi
11-18-2013, 01:00 PM
I am no expert, but wells made some of the same, and I think echo did too. Likely they were all made in the same place just with different names.
I also had a "Pacific" press that had a handle/ram much like the one in the pic...