PDA

View Full Version : GP100 Sight Suggestion

Bzcraig
11-08-2013, 02:53 AM
Love the GP100 3" I recently acquired except for the front sight. The blade is all black and disappears against dark targets. Has anyone successfully painted theirs and had it stand the test of time and cleaning and if so what did you use? Or, has anyone replaced theirs and how did it work for you and what did you replace it with. The gun is plenty accurate so I'm not to excited to change the sight.

Lefty SRH
11-08-2013, 08:08 AM
I put a green HiViz front sight in mine.

TCLouis
11-08-2013, 11:07 PM
Change out for one of the other Ruger sights?
If you paint it, put a coat of white under any paint color you choose for visibility.

shooting on a shoestring
11-08-2013, 11:54 PM
Powder Blue finger nail polish. My carry guns all wear it on the front sight. Lasts on my SP101 about 6 months before it needs touching up. GP100 doesn't see much carry, has not been touched up in a couple of years. One bottle will last years.

I got the tip on this board to try blue. I can see it better than red in low light and it contrasts better than red on most targets.

Clay M
11-10-2013, 08:58 PM
I put a green HiViz front sight in mine.

+1 on the HiViz green. I have those on two Redhawks.

thumb bum
11-10-2013, 09:13 PM
I put the XS big dot on my sp101and have been very happy with it.

bowfishn
11-10-2013, 09:40 PM
I put Williams Fire Sights on both my 4" and 6" GP100s and my 9.5" Super Redhawk, the sights have orange fiber optic front and green fiber optic rear. Works well, just line up the orange dot between the 2 green dots.

Petrol & Powder
11-11-2013, 09:36 PM
The 3" Fixed sighted GP-100 doesn't use the same style sight as the 4' and longer models. The front fixed sight is pinned with a cross pin that is perpendicular to the long axis of the barrel and it does not have that neat little pin in the front and a dove tail slot like the 4"+ barrel with adjustable rear sights. Not saying it can't be replaced, it's just not the same push pin / slide out sight deal as the other GP's. That being said, I do think the sight is removable so it would not be impossible to take one off and apply one of the wonder "bake on" coatings or maybe fabricate something that allowed an insert.

gray wolf
11-12-2013, 07:43 AM
My thinking is--
The sights without the push pin in the front are thin in the area that sits in the barrel and sit in a slot.
They are retained with a small cross pin, drift out the retaining pin, install new sight, replace the pin.
They are all available on the Ruger web sight. The green one you can get from Hi-Viz also.
They are a little costly.