PDA

View Full Version : Best way to fix Windage on front sight ?

hylander
11-08-2013, 01:48 AM
So I have a Pietta 1858 with fixed sights. Shoots 3.5" left at 25yds.
What are my options for getting it on the bull ?
Clock the barrel, Install a dovetail front sight ?
Can you guys recommend someone to do the work ?

Outpost75
11-08-2013, 02:19 AM
I would first try to rotate the barrel, that is a small enough change to do yourself.

carbine
11-08-2013, 10:44 AM
Based upon the 9 inch sight radius, the sight needs to move 0.035 to move impact 3.5 inches. Can you file that much off the right side of the sight?

hylander
11-08-2013, 12:05 PM
Based upon the 9 inch sight radius, the sight needs to move 0.035 to move impact 3.5 inches. Can you file that much off the right side of the sight?

Had not thought about filing the front sight.
.035 might make it to skinny though.

country gent
11-08-2013, 03:23 PM
Clock the barrel a little if possible but watch the tourque needed. I seen an old single action that the front sight had been bent with pliers to get te last little bit, Looked like **** and definitly lowered the value of a fine old colt. Any good gunsmith can make this adjustment easily. Make sure your not over tightening or lossening the barrel. Is this a closed frame or open frame pistol?

KCSO
11-08-2013, 04:48 PM
1858 depends on how the underlug is fixed on. You would actually be better off cutting a dovetail and putting in a windage adjustable sight. I use Marbles W sights and about a 320 or 340 should be about right. I like a bright bead up front now days.

Dan Cash
11-08-2013, 07:35 PM
Try a different grip. I think yoiu are pushing or pulling the gun (depending upon which hand you'r using to hold the gun) after hammer release. A single action revolver has a long hammer throw and it is very easy to twitch, shake, shimmy or push the gun out of alignment while the hammer drops, fires off the charge and the bullet exits the bore. Change the way you hold the gun and note the change in POI.

hylander
11-08-2013, 10:32 PM
Try a different grip. I think yoiu are pushing or pulling the gun (depending upon which hand you'r using to hold the gun) after hammer release. A single action revolver has a long hammer throw and it is very easy to twitch, shake, shimmy or push the gun out of alignment while the hammer drops, fires off the charge and the bullet exits the bore. Change the way you hold the gun and note the change in POI.

Done that already, no change. Shoots to same POI no matter the hold.

Calamity Jake
11-09-2013, 12:42 AM
If the rear sight notch is in the hammer you may need to add a shim on the left side to take up the slack, also
check to see if the hammer is straight, you can also open the rear notch on the right side a little,
try about .01 before going to .035.

hylander
11-09-2013, 02:16 AM
If the rear sight notch is in the hammer you may need to add a shim on the left side to take up the slack, also
check to see if the hammer is straight, you can also open the rear notch on the right side a little,
try about .01 before going to .035.

Rear sight is in the frame.
Don't want to cut into the frame

KCSO
11-09-2013, 11:31 AM
All right if you have the standard sight on the 1858 Remington it is a round to tapered post soldered into the top of the barrel. You take out the old post and make a new one from round stock that is offset. This is what we do for re enactors that want to keep the sight looking the same.

catboat
11-09-2013, 12:11 PM
[QUOTE=hylander;2466952]So I have a Pietta 1858 with fixed sights. Shoots 3.5" left at 25yds.
QUOTE]

You can slightly file open the rear fixed sight on the RIGHT side. This will make your rear sight wider. As a result, you will position he sight picture so as to move the point of impact to the right. Just take a few file strokes at a time, using a fine, single cut rectangular file and reshoot a 3 shot group. File more off if you need to move the point of impact.

You may want to "dress" the narrow edge of the rectangular file (stone it, so it is not sharp), so you only remove material on the sides of the rear sight notch, not the bottom. It is similar to clicking an adjustable rear sight to the right (except that the notch width does not change).

If you have dial calipers, measure the width of the rear sight at the beginning, then after each new condition (rear sight width) for your 3 shot (or more) shot group. It will give you an idea of your progress, and how much further you have to go.

I've done this to my fixed sight SW model 49 snubnose revolver. Worked great for me. I prefer the slightly wider rear sight notch. It is more pronounced, and I get a better sight picture.