PDA

View Full Version : My Ribs.

Shiloh
11-08-2013, 12:31 AM
Here are some Before and after pics from my new CharGriller Wrangler Grill
I coated these with a modified rub taken from the one listed here in this section.
I cut the salt back a little. I added more rub just after the first pic was taken.

Done!! Tasted great and fell some fell apart when removing them from the grill. After about two hours low and slow,
I put them in a foil pan and covered with heavy foil. After about and hour and a half I put them over the coals
for direct heat for about three or fou minutes a side. Got some nice grill marks.

If one looks close, there are two missing in the last pic. Those were my test ribs.
Geez I love grilling and smoking!!

Shiloh

Shiloh

MaryB
11-08-2013, 01:24 AM
You are going to find that whatever BBQ pit you end up owning is to small... proof: I could have used 4 more slabs of spare ribs for the appetizers

http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd248/maryalanab/bbqparty003.jpg

smokeywolf
11-08-2013, 01:55 AM
Shiloh, congrats on your new smoker. Don't feel too bad about those two missing ribs. It was your duty to check them before risking your family's tastebuds. Very nice!
Just did a tri tip and baby backs last night.
REAL nice smoker MaryB

smokeywolf

Shiloh
11-08-2013, 09:25 AM
Shiloh, congrats on your new smoker. Don't feel too bad about those two missing ribs. It was your duty to check them before risking your family's tastebuds. Very nice!
Just did a tri tip and baby backs last night.
REAL nice smoker MaryB

smokeywolf

Thanks smokeywolff!! Ya know, sometimes ya just gotta take one for the team. :)

You are going to find that whatever BBQ pit you end up owning is to small... proof: I could have used 4 more slabs of spare ribs for the appetizers

http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd248/maryalanab/bbqparty003.jpg

MaryB, You're right. I should have got the CharGriller Smokin' Pro. The next size up. 20-20 hindsight.
When it was sitting on the sidewalk at H.E.B. supermarket in Killeen TX, it looked plenty big.
Like you, living in Minnesota, I'll have grilling time, but long term smoking gets dicey.
NICE Smoker!!

Shiloh

smokeywolf
11-08-2013, 06:52 PM
Shiloh, you got your new smoker just in time for Thanksgiving. If you smoke a turkey just be sure you don't go too big; about 9 to 10 lbs. and be sure to brine it. Mesquite and apple wood work well. Keep a water pan in the smoker. Try and shield the smoker from wind as the lighter weight smokers are susceptible to significant temp fluctuations when exposed to wind.
You'll have to take your upper rack out to fit the turkey in.

Oh, and drippings from a smoked turkey make superior gravy.

Good appetite,

smokeywolf

Shiloh
11-08-2013, 10:56 PM
The Thanksgiving turkey is usually the last big item of the year. I have built forts and hung tarps as windbreaks. They have always been done on the Weber kettle grill with indirect heat. I but the turkey in the pan and add about 1/2 of water. I check it at 45 minutes and then about every hafl hour. The biggest was around fouteen pounds. Usuall I go about 12. !2 is about the smallest I can find. Gonna try Brining this year on the new CharGriller..

Shiloh

MaryB
11-09-2013, 12:16 AM
When I quit catering I sold that pit. I was injured at work with both shoulders and my back messed up. I miss it but I do not miss tending the all wood fire every half hour for 20 hours if it is a brisket cook. Now I roll it out of the shed, plug it in, make sure the pellet hopper is full and turn the on knob.

Shiloh
11-09-2013, 12:50 AM
When I quit catering I sold that pit. I was injured at work with both shoulders and my back messed up. I miss it but I do not miss tending the all wood fire every half hour for 20 hours if it is a brisket cook. Now I roll it out of the shed, plug it in, make sure the pellet hopper is full and turn the on knob.

And you know what MaryB, you've earned it. Kudos to someone who BBQ's with wood. you sir are truly one of the elite. Takes a lot of experience to master BBQ with a wood fire. For 20 hours?? It is a labor of love.

Shiloh

smokeywolf
11-09-2013, 06:14 AM

Never done a 20 hr. smoke. @ 220 deg on the rack surface, my briskets usually only go about 12 hrs. give or take; pork butts about 9 to 10.
Usually use mesquite and red oak for brisket, hickory and apple wood for pork.

smokeywolf

MaryB
11-10-2013, 12:08 AM
For catering events I did some pretty big briskets, up to 16 pounds. For home and smaller parties I prefer a littler one for faster cook times. Want something really good slow smoke a 4 to 6 inch thick chuck roast until it reaches 195 degrees or so. Pulls like pork butt and makes really really good sandwiches.

waksupi
11-10-2013, 01:52 AM
Mary B, I have been wondering, are you the one who wrote the book on dehydrating foods?

MaryB
11-10-2013, 02:06 AM
No not me, I am not a writer in any way shape or form.

Lloyd Smale
11-11-2013, 06:51 AM
im with smokey wolf. Nothing better on thanksgiving then a smoked turkey. Like he said to make sure you brine it at least overnight. I use kosher salt and brown sugar. I wouldnt even make another turkey in the oven without first brining it.

reloader28
11-14-2013, 10:39 AM
Nice ribs. Look VERY VERY tasty.

I smoked a homegrown 23lb turkey once. Didnt know if it would work or not as it was 12 below zero. Took 10 hours and was very good.

Geppetto
11-14-2013, 01:40 PM
My favorite fail safe method for smoking ribs so far is to smoke at about 220*, 2-3 hours intially with a dry rub with light smoke. 2 hours in foil, and ~45min to 1 hour with sauce and light smoke. Takes 5-6 hours, but has always delivered excellent tender ribs. I think I found the method by googling and found a forum where someone discussed the 3-2-1 method for ribs. Works well.

"Didnt know if it would work or not as it was 12 below zero. Took 10 hours and was very good." - I had tried smoking some pork once when it was below zero last winter and the thermostat on the smoker errored. I had to haul the unit into the house so it warmed up to above zero and woudl start heating. I guess they didn't care about those of us north far enough to see below 0 temps and want to do something outside.

Shiloh
11-15-2013, 10:35 PM
Nice ribs. Look VERY VERY tasty.

I smoked a homegrown 23lb turkey once. Didnt know if it would work or not as it was 12 below zero. Took 10 hours and was very good.

They were GREAT!

Living in MN, I know about -12˚. If it is colder than the low 40's, it just gets too dicey. I can't imagine trying to smoke a turkey in that kind if cold.
The trick here is keeping the wind off the grill. Rochester MN. close by, is the fourth windiest city. I can't imagine tending a grill with a -20˚ or greater wind chill.

Shiloh

MaryB
11-15-2013, 10:54 PM
I have catered Superbowl parties at -20 with ribs, I won't do anything larger when it is that cold. Not anymore though, that kind of cold hurts now :lol: getting old I guess. 3-2-1 method is pretty fool proof on spares, I never foil but I have experimented and got it down to where it isn't needed.

Shiloh
11-16-2013, 09:56 AM
I have catered Superbowl parties at -20 with ribs, I won't do anything larger when it is that cold. Not anymore though, that kind of cold hurts now :lol: getting old I guess. 3-2-1 method is pretty fool proof on spares, I never foil but I have experimented and got it down to where it isn't needed.

I put mine in a foil roasting pan and covered with heavy foil on to. Had to be careful removing them for the few minutes of direct heat over the low coals, they would fall apart. It's the doggone wind that really messes with things. Not to mention the stinging cold of a Minnesota winter.

Shiloh

MaryB
11-17-2013, 12:26 AM
I don't go to falling apart, ribs are done when you pick a slab up in the center and the ends fall down and the meat just starts to split in the center. That is when I foil and let them rest for a bit before cutting.

Shiloh
11-17-2013, 11:18 AM
I don't go to falling apart, ribs are done when you pick a slab up in the center and the ends fall down and the meat just starts to split in the center. That is when I foil and let them rest for a bit before cutting.

Thanks for the tip.
They were tender as could be. The smaller ones where the pieces falling apart. Eventually I will perfect this smoking business. Gonna take it up again next year with brisket. There is probably time to do ribs yet though.

Shiloh

MaryB
11-17-2013, 10:36 PM
Nothing wrong with falling apart, I just learned to cook them when I was catering so they would stay on the bone but pull off clean when you take a bite. Made for easier eating.

Shiloh
11-17-2013, 10:48 PM
In the past I would get the falling off the bone tender by simmering them first. I decided that I was simmering away the flavor. I want to get to a point where they are still tender butwith enough substance to be able to serve them in one piece.

I did a turkey today in the oven for the annual church Thanksgiving feast. Mine was one of five. i had many complements on it. Had the weather been more cooperative, I'da smoked it. The last two days were cold, rainy and dreary. I just didn't want the hassle of trying to smoke it.

Shiloh