PDA

View Full Version : Fed up with aluminum molds for big heavy bullets!

FishingFool
11-07-2013, 09:53 PM
Thats it. I'm done with it. My next 45/70 mold is going to be an Iron single cavity mold. It was manageable during the summer but now that its cold outside.... well managing to keep the mold in the sweet temperature spot is giving me fits. The existing two cavity mold is not helping.

paul h
11-07-2013, 10:09 PM
What type of mold is it? If it's a Lee it's not so much the fact that it's aluminum as the fact that it's too small of a thermal mass as the mold blocks are small. I've cast 1000's of 400-500 gr 475 and 500 caliber bullets from two cavity aluminum blocks and produced excellent bullets using LBT, NEI and Mountain Molds products. The key is the mold blocks are large enough for the job.

That said, my absolute favorite mold to cast is a balisticast mehanite mold, they are an absolute joy to cast. I'm not sure what their lead times are, but they are absolutely worth the money and you don't have to suffer the slow production of a single cavity. I've shot a 1 1/2" group at 100 yds with bullets cast from a 4 cavity balisticast mold, and it was with a revolver. My q/c consisted of visual inspection, I have no idea what cavity of the mold each bullet came from.