PDA

View Full Version : Need help / suggestions for 9mm Luger reloads - new to the 9mm reloads

bedbugbilly
11-07-2013, 09:10 PM
O.K. - so I intended when I started reloading to only do 38spl - somehow, this "hobby" seems to grow - but we all know it's additive.

I decided to add 9mm Luger since I do hae a Ruger SR9 that I'd like to shoot more - mainly interested in using lead bullets. I am getting around a 1,000 of 9mm brass - now to get the other necessities.

I have to order several things from Titan so I thought I'd get a set of the Lee 4 die 9mm Luger dies. Will these be adequate to reload 9mm with cast lead bullets?

Second, I'll get a Lee mold - 2 cavity - my SR9 has only had round nose FMJ through it - I'm thinking I should stick with a RN lead? If so, which mold, grain wt. round nose would be the best to get?

I just got some processed "range lead" - will this work O.K. for the 9mm that I want to reload? Is it hard enough or soft enough? What is best to use?

Right now, I'm sizing all of my 38 spls lead bullets to keep things consistent rather than shoot "as cast". To keep things "consistent" in the 9mm, what should they be sized to?

Powders - Right not, I have Bulls Eye, AA 2 and Unique on hand. In my Speers manual, the only one of those I'm seeing (at a quick look) is Bulls Eye. What powders should I consider for the 9mm? A lot is going to depend on what I can find in my area - sometimes the shelves are lacking, sometimes I catch it when an order comes in so I'd like several alternatives that would work O.K. I'm not loading to see how hot I can make 'em - just decent rounds that will cycle O.K. and work for target practice.

I won't say I'm "cheap" . . just sort of "thrifty" - thus trying to keep the investment in being able to reload 9mm down to a minimum. Any suggestions would be helpful and much appreciated.

ultramag
11-07-2013, 09:16 PM
I'd start here:

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?121737-Setting-up-for-boolits-in-a-new-9mm

I'm still working on finalizing my 9mm loads but am liking Power Pistol quite a bit FWIW.

FergusonTO35
11-07-2013, 10:10 PM
Your SR9 will love 3.5 grains Bullseye and Lee 356-120-TC loaded to 1.053. Range scrap works great for boolits, I would advise water dropping out of the mold for surface hardening. Pan lube with 50/50 beeswax-alox. You probably won't even need to size 'em but if you do then .357 is perfect. I've shot bunches of these out of my SR9c and am rewarded with great accuracy, mild recoil, and a consistent 1000 fps. Your SR9 will probably do even better!

bedbugbilly
11-07-2013, 10:48 PM
Thank you both. That gives me a place to start and I'm glad to hear from someone with
SR9 suggestions. I don't shoot this handgun enough and haven't since the price of ammo went up with the shortage. I took a class a couple of weeks ago which was mainly range instruction and SD - I usually carry a S & W Model 36 or a LCR for CCW but do carry the SR9 once in a while - it seems foolish since I have he equipment not to reload for it so am anxious to get my feet wet. Thanks again for the information and the link - greatly appreciate it!

trapdoor1873
11-08-2013, 02:08 AM
My SR9C loves the Lyman 356402 cast from #2 alloy sized to .358 and lubed with white label BAC and 6.0 grains of Winchester 540. I have a Lee Tumble Lube round nose bullet that tumbles when fired.

Low Budget Shooter
11-08-2013, 12:34 PM
bedbugbilly, here are the best things I've learned on this forum and confirmed by experience in the past few years of casting and loading for 9mm:

1. in Lee's powder-pass-through die, replace the 9mm insert with the .38 S&W (not .38 Special) insert. It is just a few $ from Lee, and will open the 9mm case to the .357 or so that you need. If you use soft lead, like range scrap, without opening the case enough, the case itself can swage the bullet down to .355 or smaller, which is bad!
2. don't use the Lee Factory Crimp Die. If you have arrived at that stage with your bullet still at the .356 to .358 that you need, it will swage your bullet down to .355 or smaller, which is bad! Instead, seat the bullet without crimping in step 3, then crimp in step 4. You might have to buy a separate crimping die.
3. the most forgiving bullet I have tried for 9mm is the 95-grain version of the 358242 (356242). I think this is because with the light bullet pressure stays down below 20,000 psi at starting loads, which still cycle the action and shoot accurately. If were you, I would go straight to the NOE four-cavity version of this bullet.
4. when you think you have the system all set up correctly, pull the bullet from a finished round and mic the bullet to make sure it is still .356 to .358, and hasn't been swaged at some point
Those are the most important points, I think.

bedbugbilly
11-08-2013, 05:13 PM
Low Budget - thank you. I'll order the 38 S & W expander so I have it on hand when i order my dies.

I've read several things on the Lee tumble lube groove boolit - have never seen an answer though - what causes this to be a "tumbler" out of the 9mm? Personally, I prefer the older lube groove style but I'm just curious as to what makes it tumble and keyhole for some - is it the design of the tl grooves or is it a slug/barrel size issue?