PDA

View Full Version : Whats a good price on a used set of CH4d?

xman777
11-07-2013, 04:02 PM
They are in 45cal and I thought I might take them off my buddies hands. How much should I pay?

By the way, Name's Jim. Been a lurker here for a while but decided recently to get involved, primarily with swaging. I am relatively new to swaging, but been reloading for 15 years, so wish me luck.

BT Sniper
11-07-2013, 04:31 PM
Depends on the shape the dies are in. The real determining factor is the diameter of the bullet formed. If the point form die produces a bullet that is oversized it is of little value. A 45 cal should be .451, if it is over .4520 then it was either big to start with or has seen some rough use.

Since that they are no longer being made well..... I suppose a fair price is what you can get them for. When they where available I was paying about $100-$150 for a used set of CH 101 dies. They sold new anywhere from $150-$295 before they quit making them as I recall.

To give you an idea, the brand new 45 cal set of BTSniper dies I now offer are $495. Granted I claim them to be of better quality (especially the internal components) but if you are able to pic up a set of used CH dies for around the price I mentioned above ($100-$200) I think everyone in the trade would come out ahead.

I still offer to upgrade any of the original sets of CH dies with all new heavy duty internal components and would be happy to look over any original CH dies that you guys come across and offer any help I can. I sold quite a few of those dies for them in the last 5 years.

If you are interested in making 45 cal bullets and the die are well taken care of, I would say any price under $200 now days is going to be a good buy.

Good shooting and swage on!

BT

jimbull34
11-08-2013, 05:38 PM
In making these dies, the one thing I found out the hard way, is if it is over size, you can always size the bullet down. Its a lot easier and cheaper to do that then it is to buy or make a new die. Sizing dies are relative cheap because they are easy to make, I say relative, but everything today is expensive!