PDA

View Full Version : Ben's Red

w5pv
11-07-2013, 03:52 PM
I have been using 45/45/10 lube for several year and it is a good lube never had any leading of any type but the bore always needed to be brushed and patched.Today I ran about 18 loads of 45 colt of 45/45/10 through my gun with out cleaning and had 12 more rounds lubed with Ben's Red run through the colt 45 after I did this I was ready to clean up and behold there was nothing in the bore to clean,Clean and shining.I will be going Ben's Red altogether after I run out of the 45/45/10.

Ben
11-07-2013, 06:57 PM
Great! !!!!

grampa243
11-07-2013, 07:00 PM
that is how it works in my 45ACP Glock barrel too :)

cs86
11-07-2013, 07:59 PM
Where is the recipe for Ben's Red? I think I looked through the entire "lube recipe" sticky and couldn't find it. I was also looking for Carnuba Red.

marvelshooter
11-07-2013, 08:09 PM
Where is the recipe for Ben's Red? I think I looked through the entire "lube recipe" sticky and couldn't find it. I was also looking for Carnuba Red.
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?81031-Made-some-bullet-lube-today

ultramag
11-07-2013, 08:14 PM
Here's a link to the Ben's Red thread located in the Classics & Stickies section of the site. There are 4 or 5 more links within this thread with even more info....lot's of good reading.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?166254-Made-more-Ben-s-Red-today

Carnuba Red is not one you'll find a recipe for but instead can be purchased here:

http://lsstuff.com/store/

leftiye
11-08-2013, 06:31 AM
How's that for clear and concise? Difference in bore condition probly is alox in LLA, the same reason they ran away from alox in the "Ultimate Lube" thread.

cs86
11-08-2013, 11:14 AM
Does anyone cook off the solvents in the JPW or not? I wasn't sure if there was enough in there to make a difference.

w5pv
11-08-2013, 01:13 PM
After coming to a liquid I cook it for about 20 minutes on a low heat.

Ben
11-08-2013, 10:49 PM
Does anyone cook off the solvents in the JPW or not? I wasn't sure if there was enough in there to make a difference.

I have never tried to cook off the solvents............

Ben

3jimbo3
11-09-2013, 09:42 AM
Has anyone ever tried to pan lube with Ben's Red? If so, what was the out come? How does it work with TL style boolits. I use the liquid alox now but I am not pleased with it at all, excessive smoke and leading. If I use a "harder" lube I both problems seems to lessen.

Thanks Jim

Ben
11-09-2013, 10:38 AM
Ben's Red will work with pan lubing just fine. Might have to add a bit more beeswax to the mixture however. Cut the bullets out with a Kake-Cutter while the lube is still warm to the touch after cooling.

3jimbo3
11-09-2013, 12:20 PM
ok thanks, i will give it a try

youngda9
11-10-2013, 10:32 AM
I cook off all the solvents...about 8 min roaring boil until the stink goes away. I've never had to brush stuff out of my barrel after using 45/45/10. Sounds like there may be some other problems going on. I shoot it to 1650fps in a 44mag rifle with tumble lubing, and 2209fps out of a 358 rifle dip lubing. No leading, no build-up, no barrel gunk. Fit is king.

If you have no leading than group size should be what determines what lube you settle on...not how the barrel looks.

375RUGER
11-12-2013, 12:03 PM
I cook off all the solvents...about 8 min roaring boil until the stink goes away.

Are you talking about Ben's Red? It doesn't reach the point of ignition or turn into mosquito fog?

JWFilips
11-12-2013, 09:02 PM
Has anyone ever tried to pan lube with Ben's Red? If so, what was the out come? How does it work with TL style boolits. I use the liquid alox now but I am not pleased with it at all, excessive smoke and leading. If I use a "harder" lube I both problems seems to lessen.

Thanks Jim
Since I have learned so much from being a member on this forum, I would like to share what I have learned and maybe help someone else as I have been helped. So please understand this is just my 2 cents worth : The only way I use Ben's Red lube is in pan lubing since I do not have a lubra-sizer.
Ben's red is a great lube but has some interesting properties as I have found out from trying to pan lube. First of all it doesn't flow soothly at low temperatures ( & I do not not like to heat it up too much since it seems to change too much if over heated) I have found out if you see the slightest smoke coming off it it is too hot and starts to look & smell funky. But if heated slowly in never smells bad or changes it nice red color.
So my procedure is this: I melt down a small batch in my lubeing tray at less than "Low" heat on my hot plate & I make sure using a small level that the pan & plate are plumb & flat. The key here is to slowly bring it to liquid state ( don't rush it) When you think you got enough in your pan ( allowing for boolit displacement) I start adding my boolits & this will cool the mix down a bit but don't crank up the heat but just leave on a bit lower then low & it will all to come up again slowly in temps. Then when you see the lube laying tight on the boolits sides lower the temps to almost nothing & let it sit for about 5 minutes till the lead is up to temp ...then shut off and let it sit for about 30 -45 minutes & cut out with a Kake-cutter. I like to size my boolits first then lube a day before I'm ready to load. I use a tight fitting kake-cutter so the boolit emerges quite clean & ready to load. At any time if you need to add more lube to your pan you just can't drop it in because it will not flow well to fill the pan. Just heat the pan up slowly with the new chunk of lube & mix well with a popsicle stick and using a glove, shake the pan until the lube levels and start placing your next boolits in. Just remember this lube is not self leveling at what I call the "safe Temperature" and by that I mean never let any smoke come off it ! & if it does shut down the hot plate and remove the pan & fan it until it drops temps. Otherwise you will get a dull brown lube with white foam deposits & the smell of burning tires ...for me this is bad & to be avoided.
Again please note this is what works for me & I may be a stickler but It keeps my Ben's Red - "Red " and never smells badly & oh Yeah the best part is It is the best lube ever ( you just need some patience to make & use it );-)