PDA

View Full Version : How do I ad pewter to my alloy?

tengaugetx
11-07-2013, 11:24 AM
I have been casting with coww's and decided I wanted to try adding a little tin. Not that I am having any big problems but I though I experiment a bit and maybe get some better looking bullets at the same time.
I have a little pewter I bought and had and smelted into small ingots. I fired up the Lee 4-20 last night to cast a few .452 200gr boolits and realized I had no idea what I needed to do to blend in the pewter.
I ended up just stirring it in for a couple minutes. The mix seemed to cast ok. I added about 3 ounces to about 20lbs of wheel weights.
Should these be ok to shoot or do I need to mix the tin in using a reducer like parafin or wax? Thanks, Ron

jmort
11-07-2013, 11:34 AM
Pewter is not clean tin. I would flux with sawdust/pine shavings to clean up the alloy. I would want to remove everything but the tin. If you run you pot at 700 degrees or less you can flux-out the unwanted metals.

Garyshome
11-07-2013, 11:50 AM
Not sure about the % of tin [ I need to look that up for my own casting] to add but fluxing is a real good thing. If they look good shoot em'!

tengaugetx
11-07-2013, 11:54 AM
I fluxed the pewter three times with saw dust before I cast it into ingots. I do the same thing with my wheel weights plus a little candle wax to help the clips come out cleaner. I think my coww and pewter ingots are clean and ready I am just unsure what process I need to use to mix the two.

AlaskanGuy
11-07-2013, 12:02 PM
Throw it in, stir it around... That is all there is to it.... Lots of folks want to over complicate things, but it is not rocket science. Be sure that there is no moisture. I put it in when i put the regular ingots in before starting the pot.... Flux and your set... I flux even tough i use pre fluxed pewter ingots.... And i use paraffin wax to flux in my bullet casting pot.. No cereal for me.. I eat that.

tengaugetx
11-07-2013, 12:26 PM
Thanks. Sounds like I will be good.
I'm using a bottom pour so I try and keep any saw dust fluxing to when I am smelting my ingots.

captaint
11-07-2013, 12:30 PM
+1 what jmortimer said. I use the Lee ingot mold for the 1/2 lb ingots and add one of them (pewter) to 20 lbs of alloy. It's a little more than 2%, but what the hey ?? Works out. Mike

jmort
11-07-2013, 12:35 PM
"It's a little more than 2%"

I have some tin stockpiled, so I will often go as high as the antimony content. Tin is good.