PDA

View Full Version : Watermain joint lead (caulking) question

sparetime
11-07-2013, 08:35 AM
I would like to try and cast bullets for 38 special. Most likely a 148 grain wadcutter. Thinking of a bullseye type load over 2.7 or so grains of bullseye.

I was able to get about 50 pounds of lead from the local scrap yard. The lead was used for lead joints (caulking) in watermain pipe. Due to it's flexibility, I'm thinking it is fairly pure lead. I also have a few smaller chunks of lead pipe used for water lines. (Old water services were made from lead).

Any suggestions what to do? Should I blend the lead to make it harder, or should I try to cast some bullets and see how it goes? The lead was still in a circle form having been removed from the watermain. It was fairly easy to manipulate in that form. The watermain must have been about 8" diameter.

Anyone ever used lead from old watermain?

Zymurgy50
11-07-2013, 09:13 AM
Most lead water pipe and lead caulking is close enough to pure lead as to make no difference. You are probably going to need some COWW or type metal to alloy your pure lead with to make boolits.

Garyshome
11-07-2013, 09:26 AM
Go down to goodwill or some local thrift store and get'cha some pewter stuff which is almost pure tin, just add a little bit to your mix to make it fill out nice. I got #2+10oz for $8.00 yesterday. It won't make the BHN any harder but it will flow better at a lower temp.

captaint
11-07-2013, 12:36 PM
You could try and add some tin to get you to 20-1 or maybe 10 lbs of clip on WW's. Either way, for 38 wadcutters, you'll have a great time !! Mike

bangerjim
11-07-2013, 01:53 PM
You probably do not have a hardness tester so search on here for the thread explaining how to use artist pencils ($12/set) to roughly test bhn.

Then you can dope your soft lead with tin/WW"s/alloys/solder and know approx where you are! Also download the spreadsheet on there that calculates hardness mixes.

Good luck with that junk store pewter. I have looked for it for YEARS and YEARS and never find any of it, even in a major market area like Phoenix and Tucson! When it is there, it is in the "collectables" cabinet at extremely high prices. These guys that find it are lucky and few between.

banger

sparetime
11-08-2013, 09:18 PM
Where can tin be found? I understand it's expensive.

Pepe Ray
11-08-2013, 09:38 PM
for sparetime et al.
You are on the right track.
I've worked in public utilities most of my younger years. I've been able to reclaim lead joints from sewer pipe, water main and gas main. The later from an antiquated water gas system in Portland ME. The reclaimed lead worked as it should once it had been cleaned.
One observation I'd make for anyone bent on pursueing this type of reclaimation. In the early '70's a water provider did some experimenting in using a product called "Leadite" for pouring joints in Cast iron. I've never had an opportunity to use leadite, either new or reclaimed. My casual observations would cause me to believe it to be unsuitable for casting boolets.
I've no idea how widespread its use was. Just be aware that it is out there.
Pepe Ray

jsizemore
11-10-2013, 12:18 PM
Most of the waterlines,2" and smaller, that I've found used tin for the joints. I've used a chisel to seperate the solder joint from the lead pipe. The solder is noticeably harder.

Finding pewter seems to be a regional thing, at least in quanity. Most pewter sold on this site is cheaper then tin based solder found at your local store.