PDA

View Full Version : What would you do?

danski26
11-11-2007, 08:19 PM
Say you have a Ruger new model blackhawk chambered in 357 mag that has seen better days. Barrel is worn, end shake, timing problems ect. If you had around $1500 to spend on it what would you do with it and who would you send it to? 44special? 45colt? 454casull? 357mag?

Scrounger
11-11-2007, 08:32 PM
You might consider selling it for what you can get out of it, $200-$250, putting that with the other $1500 and buying a Freedom Arms in your choice of calibers. No matter how much money you put in it, it will always be a Ruger Blackhawk, worth maybe $300, $350 tops.

45r
11-11-2007, 08:47 PM
If it was me I'd get a F/A too.I was shooting my 454 today and a lot of people at the range were looking at the inch and a half groups at 50 yards.I was shooting off a couple of sandbags and it was a lot of fun showing my brother-in -law a revolver can shoot as good or better than a slug gun.

GrizzLeeBear
11-11-2007, 08:58 PM
Check with Ruger. Won't they will "rebuild" a revolver for 80 - 100 bucks? Then like the other guys suggested, get a FA (in another cal. maybe) if you want a gun thats worth what you pay for it. Rugers are fine revolvers, but I would NOT put anywhere near $1500 into one.

Char-Gar
11-11-2007, 09:12 PM
It was about 8 years ago, but I sent a Ruger Blackhawk .357 back to Ruger and it came back a new barrel, new cylinder, all new innards, blued and new grips. It was for all purposes a new handgun. The cost was $140.00. I would do it again.

danski26
11-11-2007, 10:24 PM
Already have a model 83 FA in 44 mag and it is my favorite revolver.

I never considered sending it back to ruger. Not a bad idea. Then I could spend the leftover cash on that M1a supermatch I've been looking at. Or maybe the sharps I've always wanted..........hmmmmmm

Larry Gibson
11-11-2007, 10:40 PM
The Ruger factory rebuild sounds good to me also. But I wanted wanted a "personal" revolver, which many do, I would have it rebuilt to .44 Special. The cylinder should be able to be rechambered and a new barrel installed. I'd have the barrel at 5". Might install a steel ejector housing also. I've small hands and like the XR-3 grip frame. With all that and a refinish cost should still be reasonable for a revolver that was mine.

However, if you really got the $1500 then selling the .357 and getting the FA isn't such a bad Idea. Of course selling the .357 and getting a 50th Anniversary .44 FT is a suggestion also. May be "just a Ruger" but I sure like mine. Now don't anyone go telling Bullshop, 44man and Wakupsi I said that 'cause they'll be sayin' I'm crazy for not toin' it around bear country. Well I do but not all the time.......maybe I am crazy.....but I'd shore like a BH in plain ole .44 Special......

Larry Gibson

nicholst55
11-12-2007, 12:08 PM
Follow the link for Ruger's price list for factory repairs. http://www.ruger-firearms.com/Firearms/PS-ServiceFees.html

They're not free, but their prices are eminently reasonable.

If you want a very nice (and very reasonably priced) .44 Special conversion, check out the 'Jeff Quinn Special' that Dave Clements does. http://www.clementscustomguns.com/ Dave could easily correct the endshake and timing issues that you have at the same time.

Bass Ackward
11-12-2007, 12:36 PM
Highly personal decision. And I have done it.

I had Jim Stroh of Alpha Precision make me a line bored 44Mag top end. The darn thing is so accurate it's almost boring. I do not regeret this decision one bit. But .... I would never do it again when I can buy a Freedom for the same or less. And the Freedom will always be worth more in more places than the custom unless someone is familiar with Jim's work or would see it shot.

But you have to watch some Freedoms too. Especially since they have removed the barrel specifications standards from their site. This was do to an argument here a few months back. I finally bought a FA 357 that I have always wanted, but it took buying a model 1997 made in 1998 to get descent measurements. Then, (this was basically brand new for all intents and purposes) I still had almost .001 (7 or 8 tenths) of thread crush at the frame that had to be lapped out. Now, the damn thing is a scarry accuracte .... and I just love being frightened. :grin:

So bottom line is, the Ruger re-build is probably your cheapest option and you just have to decide from there.

2 dogs
11-12-2007, 12:41 PM
I would send it to Alan Harton and have a line bored sixgun or fivegun built exactly to your specs! Color case the frame and hammer, trigger job with a stop, Bisley gripframe, octagon barrel, and Bowen target rear. You will get your dream revolver that will last you a lifetime...

Send me an email at fcgarza0640@hotmail.com and I will send you some pics.

felix
11-12-2007, 12:46 PM
Buy what YOU want and forget the next person in line. Life is too short to screw yourself. The next person in line could care less about your possessions. If you are actually worried about that, then prepare a revocable trust and include these possessions. If money is more important, then don't spend a nickel of it for any friggin' gun unless you intend to eat it one way or another. ... felix

beagle
11-12-2007, 01:27 PM
Now, if I had that problem, I'm afraid I'd have to elect a 5 1/2" barrel .44 Special as I've been lusting for one for a while./beagle

Lloyd Smale
11-12-2007, 03:59 PM
I think it would make a great 44 special or even 44 mag. As to saying that it will be only worth 350 bucks no matter what you do. Id about bet I could get 5 or 600 for one of my linebaughs :) For 1500 what id do is send it to someone like harton have it rechambered rebarreled cut to 4 inch case hardened and maybe have a bisley frame fitted up to it. Maybe a custom front sight and a bowen rear. The bisley wouldnt even really be needed and if you stuck with the standard grip frame you could do it for substaintialy less then 1500 bucks even with a real nice set of grips. I wont argue with the FA guys that you will have a better gun. Personaly i think a custom that is done right is every bit as much gun as a fa gun but some will argue. What i will say without hesitation is that you will have a better looking gun.
Say you have a Ruger new model blackhawk chambered in 357 mag that has seen better days. Barrel is worn, end shake, timing problems ect. If you had around $1500 to spend on it what would you do with it and who would you send it to? 44special? 45colt? 454casull? 357mag?

dubber123
11-12-2007, 06:13 PM
I think it would make a great 44 special or even 44 mag. As to saying that it will be only worth 350 bucks no matter what you do. Id about bet I could get 5 or 600 for one of my linebaughs :) For 1500 what id do is send it to someone like harton have it rechambered rebarreled cut to 4 inch case hardened and maybe have a bisley frame fitted up to it. Maybe a custom front sight and a bowen rear. The bisley wouldnt even really be needed and if you stuck with the standard grip frame you could do it for substaintialy less then 1500 bucks even with a real nice set of grips. I wont argue with the FA guys that you will have a better gun. Personaly i think a custom that is done right is every bit as much gun as a fa gun but some will argue. What i will say without hesitation is that you will have a better looking gun.

Lloyd, you're gonna sell me one of your Linebaughs for 600$! Checks in the mail! It'll be a few more weeks, but I'll send for the other one too![smilie=1:

Lloyd Smale
11-12-2007, 06:19 PM
as much as I like you pal i think ill have to pass on that

targetshootr
11-12-2007, 06:35 PM
I'd have a Bisley grip frame fitted and a long 6 shot cylinder line-bored to 45 colt along with a 5 1/2" barrel. That should handle most anything out there. A 44 spl on the big frame may as well be a 44 magnum. FAs are fine but I'm beginning to think they lose more resell value than custom guns.

Glen
11-12-2007, 07:16 PM
I'd find me a 7 1/2" chunk of .40 caliber barrel and rechamber the cylinder to .401 Herters Powermag (heh, heh, well, you asked....).

dubber123
11-12-2007, 08:19 PM
as much as I like you pal i think ill have to pass on that

Indian giver! ( All appropriate apologies to any actual INDIANS who read this).[smilie=1:

EDK
11-12-2007, 09:29 PM
Since its a NEW MODEL and all calibers are on the same frame, I'd send it to RUGER for the inexpensive over-haul and then to Jim Stroh at ALPHA PRECISION for fine tuning and cosmetics...and either conversion to a Bisley or a Hunter grip frame for my big mitts.

If it was an OLD MODEL, then things would get interesting. Mr. Stroh would still be the gunsmith of choice, although I'd like to look at Dave Clements or Alan Harton's work. There are some real craftsmen out there that haven't gotten much press.

We are living in the GOLDEN AGE OF PISTOLSMITHING.

:castmine: :Fire:

freedom475
11-12-2007, 10:32 PM
With a BH in hand and $1500 to spend You should look at Gary Reeder's costom revolvers. They are super nice looking, he puts your name on them for no charge, he also will make the serial # your name or anything else for $100.

> After much research on Gary Reeder i have found that he makes a nasty habit of calling people names and generally just not a good business man. Sad to, because his guns sure look nice. Sorry for the misguided info<

I have a FA 83 475 linebaugh, the DEALER cost is now almost $1900! It is no problem to shoot 3inch 100yrd groups with it.
May I suggest the 475Linebaugh, With high power loads its a little stiff but with lighter loads it is the most fun I've ever had with a revolver.

Blackhawk Convertable
11-18-2007, 12:46 PM
I'd have it made into a 38-40 Flattop with true Case Color Hardened frame. Oh, and I'd have Alan Harton do the work.

Adam10mm
11-18-2007, 01:49 PM
Clements for a 10mm workover.:)