PDA

View Full Version : What Cylinder Loader

hylander
11-07-2013, 01:49 AM
I want a cylinder loader for my 1858
What do you guys use ?
Anyone use this one ?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Loading-Stand-Blackpowder-Revolver-44-caliber-Muzzleloading-/370915410130?pt=Vintage_Hunting&hash=item565c4800d2

Rattus58
11-07-2013, 02:45 AM
I want a cylinder loader for my 1858
What do you guys use ?
Anyone use this one ?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Loading-Stand-Blackpowder-Revolver-44-caliber-Muzzleloading-/370915410130?pt=Vintage_Hunting&hash=item565c4800d2

I have one that is similar that I got from Cabelas with my Pietta.

32HR MAG
11-07-2013, 11:43 AM
I have one similar and it is better than nothing but I know it won'last. Double the money and you will have something that will last longer than you will. Or,make one in the garage. Plenty of examples out on the web.
Google percussion loading stand or something along those lines and go to images for ideas

fouronesix
11-07-2013, 12:10 PM
Actually that one listed on fleabay looks to be of good quality and would likely last. If you get that one or similar, one thing that may help. If it wobbles, moves or is a little unstable-- then it's very simple to attach it to a larger, more stable base.

Dframe
11-07-2013, 12:18 PM
i have the one pictured. It works quite well for me. About the only thing I'm going to do is just what fouronesix recomended. attach it to a base that's a little larger. It'll provide more stability and weight. Those loaders GREATLY reduce the amount of wear and tear on both the shooter and the ram and lever of your guns.

alamogunr
11-07-2013, 12:43 PM
This is the one I use:

http://tinyurl.com/khebkxz

Now if I could just find the different adapters that come with it.

Nobade
11-08-2013, 08:56 AM
I have the "tower of power" from Biglube. It works fairly well and can be used on either Rem or Colt (as well as Ruger) in both calibers, as it comes with the different parts to set it up either way.

-Nobade

BPShooter
11-15-2013, 10:02 PM
Check Powder Incorporated 479-705-0005. Best built cylinder reloading press I've seen. I bought two.

HARRYMPOPE
11-16-2013, 07:19 PM
Not to change the subject but what advantage does the loader have over using the lever? When i got my Old Arms i thought i need one(or a loading stand) but now i seem to have a good rhythm of loading it hand held.

Dframe
11-16-2013, 07:44 PM
Personally I like having all six holes, up, and visible for each operation. Each chamber is immediately visible for charge, wad, ball, and lube. For me the loader is just faster and easier. It saves a lot of wear and tear on the guns lever and ram too. To each his own, If you LIKE using the guns rammer and lever go for it.

GunSlingerNM
11-16-2013, 08:36 PM
I load on the loading tool at home but after firing at the range I use the leaver on the gun. Just don't think about taking it with me. Maybe I will next trip when shooting a Remmy or ROA. Don't see any advantage for Colt patterns cuz it would be a Pain in the back side to remove the cylinder.

Dframe
11-18-2013, 12:05 AM
I always carry a plastic mallet in my range box. A firm rap on the barrel wedge usually knocks it either out or so loose it can easily be removed to pull the barrel and cylinder. So I use the loader on either colt type or remmy type actions. Didn't mean to imply that there was anything wrong with using the rammer on the gun, I just feel for my purposes it's a lot easier to use a loader. For instance after charging all six chambers I can visually check to see that I've not inadvertently left one empty and that all charges are about equal. It's also easy to slip a felt wad into each then a small dab of lube and set all six balls on top. (Yes, if I'm going to CARRY the gun instead of shooting immediately I'll leave an empty chamber under the hammer)