PDA

View Full Version : We sould gather for a swaged fun shoot someday!

BT Sniper
11-07-2013, 12:08 AM
I put some effort into trying to start a postal shoot with our own swaged bullets then current events of this spring hit and I found myself quite busy with little spare time to host additional shoots. I plan to put on more shoots as soon as I catch up a little on orders.

Now the more I read and look over posts form many of us here I think this is something we could make happen, a get together of shooters to showcase our home made bullets. I know of quite a few members here with home towns in the Utah, Idaho, Oregon and Washington states, others too of course. Being in Oregon myself I'm looking at a NW location equal distance to allow the greatest possibility for the most # of shooters. Something like south central Idaho maybe? somewhere between Boise and Pocatello maybe? Basically a day drive for me and would seem like a day away from many of you too. Someone that knows of a good range with access that could make it happen? Could make for added fun and have it in the spring when the ground squirrels and rock chucks come out so we could use one day at the range and the next day out in the fields maybe?

Theme of the get together would be obvious, home swaged bullets only, doesn't matter what calibers. Doesn't have to be a rule but would make since wouldn't you think. To think of all the calibers I could bring :veryconfu would be cool and a great excuse for me just to dirty some guns. Could be all sorts of fun little contests. Who knows, just thinking out load here and throwing it out there to see what you guys think. See if anyone has some ideas or thoughts.

Anyway, had another long day at the computer and thinking of the fun I would rather be having at a shooting range.

What do you guys think?

BT

R.Ph. 380
11-07-2013, 12:19 AM
Why, our local swage die manufacturer could offer a full set of swage dies as a prize for the best 5 shot grouping........................................he hehe

BT Sniper
11-07-2013, 12:22 AM
I did offer a 40 cal die set for a drawing price for the postal shoot. I'm sure I could find some extra goodies lying around the shop.

BT

MOcaster
11-07-2013, 12:25 AM
Why, our local swage die manufacturer could offer a full set of swage dies as a prize for the best 5 shot grouping........................................he hehe

I'll make the drive for that.

BT Sniper
11-07-2013, 12:47 AM
Drawings for big ticket items I think are always a bit more fair then a shooting competition for group or score would be. There are some pretty good shooters out there that I'm sure could put together a heck of a bullet with some quality components, J4s etc. come to mind.

A simple $5-$10 each pot amongst the shooters that wish to compete for a small group prize I think would be more appropriate, somthing like half going to winner and other half going to ???? probably the local help that is able to arrange a range for such a shoot to take place, or those that provide potluck meal, etc., or have a simple $5-$10 day long range fee if need be????

Anyway it could be fun and should be a simple fun, meet and great with a good deal of shooting. I got all sorts of calibers we all my be interested in. 40-308 shooting bullets made from 9mms. 400BTS mag shooting same bullet from a 300 WM case, Maybe get JT to come down from UT with his 700 or many of his other cool creations! I might have some 50 BMG rounds made from who knows what jackets? Might even be talked into letting a few of us shot a 50 that haven't before, as well as many 22 cals, 6mms, 6.5 from 22mag 30 cal from 5.7s or copper tubing, pistols, 44mag lever actions with bullets made from 40 S&W etc...... and the list goes on!

Fun get together being the goal.

BT

p.s. A look at my 50 by the way! I have since put a much beefier bipod on it. Had to sell the auto mag and a few other toys to afford this one. This will be my test platform for testing new 50 cal bullets. Already shot a 9" 4 shot group at 1K with it using Hornady A-max. Thought I did pretty good shooting under 1MOA first time shooting at 1K. More on that later in another thread.

http://i636.photobucket.com/albums/uu87/BTSniper/1d0daee1-929d-4805-961b-620347bbc264_zps5f7304da.jpg (http://s636.photobucket.com/user/BTSniper/media/1d0daee1-929d-4805-961b-620347bbc264_zps5f7304da.jpg.html)

BT Sniper
11-07-2013, 12:56 AM
Please don't feel left out for those of you too far to travel, no one says you can' put together more then one of these get togethers elsewhere.

BT

Utah Shooter
11-07-2013, 01:46 AM
I would be in. I do not need a prize to show up as long as it is decently close.

BT Sniper
11-07-2013, 02:40 AM
Yep I was thinking there are a few of you guys there in Utah that would be interested. Had you and a few others in mind, got to see what those eley jacketed 22s can do in person :) We shall see where this idea leads to. We would need someone to come forth that knows of a good range in a central location that they can arrange access for a private group of shooters to spend the day. I was thinking somewhere in ID might be a good spot? Simply because it is about as far as I could make it in a day's drive.

Yep, Boise area would be about 350 miles and 5-6 hours drive for me and same 350 miles for those of you possibly in the Salt Lake area. Got to be some good ranges along there somewhere.

Plan it for when the weather gets warm again??? End of May, June?

warf73
11-07-2013, 06:18 AM
Thats a fine looking rifle Brian, and 9" 4 shot group isn't anything to sneeze at eitherat 1k.

SquirrelHollow
11-07-2013, 03:43 PM
I'd definitely be interested.
I know there are several other swagers in my area that aren't members here, and there are 3-4 in the Logan, UT area, as well. ...and that's just people swaging .44 bullets from .40 S&W. If we had a range (or just a piece of land) lined up for the shoot, and at least a time frame to work with, I could try to track some of the guys down and spread the word.

I'm unlikely to have a lot of time available, so Boise would probably be about as far as I could go (western limit). I might be able to make an exception, if someone came up with a piece of land or private range in the central mountains, though. (If I convince the wife that it's also a camping trip, I can arrange for more time. ;))

newcastter
11-07-2013, 06:43 PM
Please don't feel left out for those of you too far to travel, no one says you can' put together more then one of these get togethers elsewhere.

BT
Well to those of us that are "left out" I feel a little West Coast East Coast friendly battle could emerge from this. It would be pretty cool if you guys made it happen. Interested to see the result of this.

BT Sniper
11-07-2013, 06:51 PM
Now we're talkin! :)

MOcaster
11-07-2013, 11:53 PM
Well to those of us that are "left out" I feel a little West Coast East Coast friendly battle could emerge from this. It would be pretty cool if you guys made it happen. Interested to see the result of this.

Don't forget us in the middle states!

R.Ph. 380
11-08-2013, 12:27 AM
Now we're talkin! :)

No fun for you, Now, Back to work. Remember: Arbeit Macht Frei! Or so they say.........................................hehehe

Idaho Sharpshooter
11-08-2013, 01:39 AM
You met my brother Don and his buddy Chuck at your place this summer. There are a couple options for a range within half an hour of Nampa where we reside...

clodhopper
11-18-2013, 12:13 AM
Sharpshooter, one of those ranges in your area, The Snake River Sportsman, Vail range might work.
My brother is a club officer. But not a bullet swager. Has in the past organized shooting clinics and competitions.

I could get a primitive, private range near Three Forks MT.
Shooters would have to chip in for insurance.
Range closed from early May untill the cows graze off the grass.
I have access to awesome ground squirrel shooting in the area but can not take a large group in there.

cba257
11-19-2013, 11:18 AM
I would be interested. Depending on time frame and being able to get dies and bullets swaged. Defiantly interested in a "swaged bullet ground squirrel elimination" event!!

fredj338
11-21-2013, 04:15 PM
I wouldn't need much of an excuse to drive up form SoCal. When & where?