PDA

View Full Version : I forgot how good it felt.....

waco
11-06-2013, 10:56 PM
To be out in the shop casting. It was last spring when I cast my last boolit. Cast enough to run through the summer months. Getting cool enough out now to fire up the pot! Cast up a few hundred 360477's, and had a blast doing it.
Almost forgot how much enjoyment I get out of pouring lead into molds. Very relaxing.Only squeezed in an hour and a half tonight, but that was enough to give me the bug again!
More casting will have to wait till the weekend though. Tomorrow night I need to watch the Ducks crush Stanford and head toward the national championship game!
GO DUCKS!!!!!! OOOOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:lol:

WallyM3
11-06-2013, 11:01 PM
Most folks don't appreciate, or express if they do, how much this stuff is therapy (irrespective of the frustrations and failures).

For myself, all aspects of (re)loading are a blessed activity.

waco
11-06-2013, 11:19 PM
Most folks don't appreciate, or express if they do, how much this stuff is therapy (irrespective of the frustrations and failures).

Amen Brother....

Bzcraig
11-07-2013, 12:58 AM

All true. It is a welcome distraction!

Bzcraig
11-07-2013, 01:00 AM
To be out in the shop casting. It was last spring when I cast my last boolit. Cast enough to run through the summer months. Getting cool enough out now to fire up the pot! Cast up a few hundred 360477's, and had a blast doing it.
Almost forgot how much enjoyment I get out of pouring lead into molds. Very relaxing.Only squeezed in an hour and a half tonight, but that was enough to give me the bug again!
More casting will have to wait till the weekend though. Tomorrow night I need to watch the Ducks crush Stanford and head toward the national championship game!

Indeed! But I do miss Chip!

Eric H
11-07-2013, 01:47 AM
I do enjoy it alot myself. Somuch that I even collect range scrap to melt down. I never get tired of casting and all the atributes that go with. It is one of my big relaxing times.

gon2shoot
11-07-2013, 07:56 AM
Saw the title and thought I may have to delete the thread :kidding:.
You are right though, just fired my pot up again after a long absence, now I need to clean up another couple buckets of wheel weights.

trixter
11-07-2013, 08:33 AM
On Sunday morning, I set up the pot, utensils, and all needed paraphenailia, and had a nice little session. I produced a (Costco cashew) jar full and felt so so so much better, now I am relaxed and waiting for the game tonight. Woo Hoo quack!

captaint
11-07-2013, 08:59 AM
Casting boolits is theraputic for real. Now, on the other hand, smelting is NOT. I spent the last two days melting about 500 lbs of WW's and lead. Way too much like work. I should move my stuff closer to the back door. Thank goodness I have a good supply of ingots. Shouldn't have to smelt for years, now... Mike

Garyshome
11-07-2013, 09:47 AM
It's an addiction for me. I get relief in large numbers of little round lead pellets [boolits] waiting in boxes to be moved at or around 1000 fps to a piece of paper at varying distances away from my reloading bench.

45-70 Chevroner
11-07-2013, 10:41 AM
It really is a distraction from the problems of the world. I have enjoyed it for over 40 years. I, like some of the others usually cast up enough boolits to last me for a while, so there are some lapsed times between my casting sessions. I have a grandson (he is 27) that has taken up casting and reloading. He is married so his time for his hobby is limited. His wife works a late after noon shift and gets home about 10 PM. So he really enjoys that time of the evening, as he can load and cast to his hearts content. He is a Air Force Academy grad. and a C-130J pilot, so I am pretty prowd of him.

I got a call from my son about an hour ago and my grandson just made Captain yesterday. I don't know if my head can get any bigger than it already is.

Smoke4320
11-07-2013, 11:03 AM
I do my part to recycle .. All those nasty wheel weights came from the ground so I do my part to return them there :) 1 shot at a time !!

Wots
11-07-2013, 11:27 AM
A yeap, Way back in '95 I was going thru a nasty divorce and I knew I needed something to distract me. Purchased a S&W 629, a RCBS Rock Chucker kit with a PiggyBack. The learning curve along with the various phases of reloading was exactly what I needed. Going down to the range was a big bonus.
Only one thing bother's me, when does all the "saving's" begin when reloading your own? ;-)

mdi
11-07-2013, 01:13 PM
Admitting that casting can be good therapy is also admitting I am crazy!!![smilie=w:

Go Ducks!

dondiego
11-07-2013, 02:37 PM
Congrats to the new Captain there 4570! Good job!

abqcaster
11-07-2013, 02:44 PM
I am almost done building a shed with nook for casting in it. I decided a while back it would be cool enough in an outside shed to cast, and it would keep all of the hazards of melting lead outside of the house. Having said that, I can't wait to get back to casting in there. As others have expressed, it is my "Zen time."

45-70 Chevroner
11-08-2013, 12:59 AM
Congrats to the new Captain there 4570! Good job!

Thanks dondiego!

jonp
11-08-2013, 05:00 PM

Reminds me of a car I saw in the gorge heading towards Portland a number if years ago when I was driving a semi out west. A young lady had a "go ducks" sticker on the car and a license plate "too wet" with diving stickers on the back window.

Jack Stanley
11-08-2013, 05:10 PM
I may have got myself to the point where I won't have to cast bullets for the forty-five ACP again . Other calibers though I'm still working on it . It's my rainy day therapy as well but I can get by loading too , or sending the lead downrange .

Jack