PDA

View Full Version : Luricator-sizer question

jm423
11-06-2013, 07:20 PM
Is anyone aware of a side by side comparison/ evaluation of the current production RCBS Lube-A-Matic vs the Lyman 4500? I feel the need coming to replace or retire my Ideal, just trying to think ahead. And no, neither is available in my area for "hand-on" comparison. Thanks JM

dragon813gt
11-06-2013, 07:21 PM
They're both the same IMO. The sizers will work in either one. Buy whichever is cheaper at the time.

fryboy
11-06-2013, 08:07 PM
i tend to prefer hard lubes so the built in ability and ease to add a cartridge heater sold me on the 4500

Mal Paso
11-06-2013, 11:38 PM
I bought the 4500 (with heater for $10 more) because the linkage looked stronger. A linkage bolt broke at 10K, the handle pivot point at 25K. I welded a new handle and it's sized over 50,000 and the problems are solved. A buddy bought a new 4500, body had a casting flaw and cracked, sent it in, got another with a flaw, sent it in and the 3rd one works.

RCBS the linkage looks lighter but I believe their warranty, think their product might be better, and would be my choice between the two.

My choice now would be a Star. The cost of the sizer is small compared to the dies you'll buy and a couple guys here make Star Dies for a decent price.

EDG
11-06-2013, 11:44 PM
The ram is larger and fits much tighter on the RCBS tool. The linkage is also stronger.
I own both 2 of one and 4 of the other.

MtGun44
11-07-2013, 01:00 AM
Actually, the Lyman linkage is weaker, but not a big deal either one is about the same for me, I have
a LM 1 and Lyman 450 side by side, probably the biggest deal is that the Lyman die retention thread
is fine thread into aluminum, much more likely to crossthread than the coarser RCBS into cast iron.

The perfessor's alignment tool is the cat's meow to prevent crossthreading the nut, HIGHLY recommend
this tool for the Lyman and it is very good for the RCBS.

Bill

jm423
11-07-2013, 09:05 AM
Thanks for the info. Some people think I bleed green, looks like more to come, when the budget allows.

C.F.Plinker
11-07-2013, 03:51 PM
All of he above comments are right on. One difference that hasn't been mentioned so far is that the handle that operates the lube pressure screw on the 4500 uses a small ratchet wrench whereas the LAM2 uses a handle that slides through the top of the pressure screw. Personally, I find the ratchet much easier to use. Yes, I have both but the Lyman is the one that stays bolted to the bench and has my most used lubes in it.