PDA

View Full Version : Lee 8 mm Maximum in 1:16" twist

wmitty
11-06-2013, 06:38 PM
I wanted to see if someone might have tried this boolet in their .32 Special and what the results were as far as stabilization. The as cast diameter is .325" with a weight of 245 grains; I'm sizing them to .322" in a lapped out Lee push thru die. I ran the data thru the berger twist rate/ stability program and the result was in the marginal catagory. (1.21" length of boolet). Any chance of this being stablilized by a 16" twist rate?

45 2.1
11-06-2013, 06:46 PM
Only if you push it fast enough to do that. Slow is not good with heavy boolits in slow twist rifles (one of the problems with them that the twist promoters do not mention)........... The 32 Special may not have the nuts to do that either.

wmitty
11-07-2013, 12:19 PM
So the only way to get it to stabilize with that twist rate is to get the RPM's up or shorten the ogive until it does stabilize?

45 2.1
11-07-2013, 01:26 PM
Try it first to see............and if it doesn't work, you could try a shorter version. The 8mmKarabiner is the shorter nose version of this boolit. Ask someone on the forum who has one for samples to try. Twist tables do not always work..... and change of powder can sometimes make a tipper shoot into round holes on the target along with more velocity as a cure.

bruce drake
11-07-2013, 01:33 PM
You just got my brain gears turning. I have a 8mm Karabiner mold and a 32WS Carbine. Now I need to go shoot up the loaded ammo to reload with the 8mm Karabiner boolit for testing later...Now I just need to find some range time...

Bruce

Char-Gar
11-07-2013, 01:54 PM
I have an 8mm Karabiner mold of the first custom run. I don't know how the later commercial Mid-South runs turned out. The original design was for Yugo Mausers with pretty worn throats. The Karabiner won't chamber in my pristine BRNO Persian 29-98 due to the large nose diameter. If I seat the bullet down into the case so the round will chamber if shoots like a house a fire.

I have a good Winchester 94 and the Karabiner gives feeding issues, again due to the large nose. I have not tried seating them deep nor see how they will run through the magazine. The Karabiner was a non-starter in the Win. 94 from the get go with a dummy round.

Like, I say this is just my mold and current production molds might have different specs.

A couple of years back NOI did a run of 311407 Mod, scaled up to 8mm. This has also proved to be a very good bullets for the 32 WS. It cast out at about 180 grains. I do not see this mold listed on his current list.

rsterne
11-07-2013, 04:20 PM
Without more information about the boolit shape I can't be sure.... but I ran the length through the Border Barrels calculator (assuming a round-nosed design) and it came back recommending a faster twist.... With a 16" twist it was basically unstable as it dropped through Mach 1.... and marginal at all other velocities.... I couldn't find any bullet in the Lee list that was even close to 245 gr. in 8mm....

Bob

wmitty
11-07-2013, 08:38 PM
rsterne - the 8mm Max is one of the "specialty" moulds (for lack of the proper term) that is available from Midsouth. It and the slightly smaller Karabiner are both for the 7.92 x 57 but it might just work in the .32 if I shorten it some by dropping a steel or brass inset in the nose of the cavity before pouring. The karabiner might be stable without shortening, I think I'll try and order one and find out.

char-gar - I didn't realize this group buy had been available; I do have the 311407 Mod and am patching it up to .323" to see if it will perform in the .32 WS.