PDA

View Full Version : mold storage

TheBabinator
11-06-2013, 03:39 PM
Hello everyone! First i have to say this site is a great resource. I just started casting an its addicting!

I have a Lee 452-160-RF mold and the sprue plate keeps loosening up after about 20 or so pours. Any thoughts on how to keep this tight?

Also I have read somewhere that one should store the mold filled with the last pore before putting it away. Is this needed, especially for aluminum?

Marc

Smoke4320
11-06-2013, 04:02 PM
for storage I keep my mold wrapped around old bread !!! :) :0 sorry I could not resist ..
for the loosening spew plate screw .. the sure fire fix is to remove the screw and drill and tap a setscrew in the side of the mold so as to contact and hold the spew plate screw..
for aluminum molds if you don't like rust oil the steel handles. nothing is really needed for the aluminum.. I spray mine down with a little WD 40 just in case to stop any oxide buildup .. we are in a very hi humidity area in the summer

Airman Basic
11-06-2013, 04:05 PM
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?206539-fixing-lee-2cav-sprue-screw-for-dummies-amp-rednecks

and, no, you don't need to keep bullets in Lees after casting.

TheBabinator
11-06-2013, 04:08 PM
Ah yes i wasn't even thinking about the handles. So I need to remember to spray it down with WD40.
If it keeps on with the plate I'll try the set screw idea.

Thanks,

Bad Water Bill
11-10-2013, 03:19 PM
When you do the set screw drop in a clip of solid copper wire before tightening so that the screw is held in place without damaging hold down threads.

I have found over 40 years to take a "baby food jar",drill holes in the lid and cover the inside of the lid with fine cloth. now pour in dry sillica gel.

Store your moulds in used ammo cans and check the bottle from time to time. If the indicator change colors place in the oven for about an hour at 150 and the indicators should be showing BLUE again.

garymcgehee52
11-12-2013, 10:20 PM
I don,t leave the last bullets in my iron molds. I oil them and wrap them in saran wrap and store them in their plastic box. I clean them carefully with brake cleaner before using.