PDA

View Full Version : Complete - 1917 Enfield Sporter

Ehaver
11-06-2013, 02:51 PM
Well, It is now done. The big things anyhow. Took a long time, between time and money it was a project well worth the effort. This rifle started life with me battered brused and neglected. And now it is a shining jewell, all done with these two hands.

The bolt was covered in crud but showed no pitting, the extractor had a few, 1mm, pits the barrel was dull but had sharp rifiling and the stock was gummy.

Well I didnt take any pictures of the actual work, but I started with a good cleaning, something that had not been done for some time. Upon dissambly, I noticed the stock was full length bedded! and done nicely at that.

Fast forward to a few weeks ago, I polished the bolt, chamber, extractor and ejector. I painted the barrel and action in wheel paint, Rustolium. That did not go so well... I think it was too cold. Heated up and it worked WAY WAY better the second time. The can of paint ended up clogging and I then purchased a can of caliper paint. Few light coats and wowza.

Sanded the stock, yes i know, stripper would have been better but there were a few ruff edges that I wanted to fix up. Coated in minwax simi gloss, five coats, about 24 hours between coats 3-4 and steel wool in between. Here in a week I will steel it again, coat with some wax and buff it a bit.

Just have to mount scope and go sight in. God I pray this thing shoots!

On with the pictures!

ATTACH=CONFIG]86717[/ATTACH]8672086721

Wayne Smith
11-06-2013, 03:58 PM
Now that's Bubba at his very best! I assume since you use metric measurements and paint gun barrels you are young. 10-12 coats of tung oil rubbed in and I have a finish that is slightly in the wood as well as on it. Us old guys would pay good money for a polish and blue job. Can't say you young guys can't teach us something. That's a beautiful job.

Any idea who made the stock?

swheeler
11-06-2013, 04:38 PM
Ehaver it looks pretty good. It does appear as though the front sight base rear hole was drilled through the locking lug abutment in the action?

adrians
11-06-2013, 05:06 PM
:awesome: Great job,,,

Multigunner
11-06-2013, 05:16 PM
Ehaver it looks pretty good. It does appear as though the front sight base rear hole was drilled through the locking lug abutment in the action?

I was wondering about that myself.
I never drill all the way through the ring, I drill a short hole then square the bottom with a drill I've ground flat on the point. Tapping is similar. starting with a regular tap and finishing with a tap ground flat on the tip. If necessary I grind the tip of the screw as well. That way I get the same amount of solidly contacting threads without drilling all the way through the ring.

Looks to be a fine sporter, good work in restoring it.

Shooter6br
11-06-2013, 05:17 PM
Try .314 cast Lyman 314299 or Accurate clone if 5 grove barrel.......WWII barrels on some were 2 grove .308 ( not .311)86752

Ehaver
11-06-2013, 06:09 PM
Now that's Bubba at his very best! I assume since you use metric measurements and paint gun barrels you are young. 10-12 coats of tung oil rubbed in and I have a finish that is slightly in the wood as well as on it. Us old guys would pay good money for a polish and blue job. Can't say you young guys can't teach us something. That's a beautiful job.

Any idea who made the stock?

They say I am young, but morning and night I feel old!

Actualy that is all wood. No stain just a clear varnish. I almost did the blue job, but, time is money. There is no makers mark on the stock. I have looked high and low and there is nothing.

None of the sight holes were drilled completely through, square at the bottom.

Shooter6br
11-07-2013, 02:53 PM
86837Oh yes I have a 6.5 Jap sporter with a painted finish....Did it 45 yrs ago still looks fine.....Did a "Bubba'ed" Contender barrel ....Looks fine to me

snoopy
11-16-2013, 06:26 AM
Absolutely gorgeous! Shoot it yet?

CastingFool
11-16-2013, 07:30 AM
That is one good looking rifle!

HighHook
11-16-2013, 01:02 PM
Beautiful rifle! have 2 and are very nice shooters. Enjoy yours!

Johnny_V
11-16-2013, 02:14 PM
Young or not, very nice looking rig. Hope she shoots as good as she looks.........

gew98
11-16-2013, 10:06 PM
They say I am young, but morning and night I feel old!

Actualy that is all wood. No stain just a clear varnish. I almost did the blue job, but, time is money. There is no makers mark on the stock. I have looked high and low and there is nothing.

None of the sight holes were drilled completely through, square at the bottom.

The stock looks identical to bishop made sporter wood from the 60's. I had several sportered 98's with near identical wood...only mark I recall was "Bishop" on the plastic buttplates on some of them. On a sidenote those Model 1917's are hard to beat. Have only handled one Remington Model 30 though. Beats a 'springyfeeld' all to hell !.

Ehaver
11-27-2013, 12:47 AM
Thank you gentleman, I appreciate your complements. I have yet to shoot it but did load six rounds for sighting in and testing max cartridge OAL.

Again, thank you for the complements!