PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning old lube out of Lube-Sizer

tchepone
11-06-2013, 12:10 PM
I have seen a lot of posts indicating previous lube should be cleaned out of a lube-sizer when switching to a different kind/brand. I primarily shoot lead in handguns <1000 fps.
I have always used Blue Angel (Star) and Rooster Red (Lyman) and an occasional stick of Micro Lube.

What is the reason to clean out the old lube? Once in the past I inadvertently added a stick of Rooster to the Angel in my Star and didn't notice it until the bullets came out bi-colored. I didn't find any difference in shooting them.
I can see where lubes of different hardness might not mix well in a lube-sizer but other than that what is the reason?
I don't usually change lube types but have recently ordered some TAC-1 from RandyRat and I am not looking forward to boiling out my lube-sizer.

Thanks....tchepone

fecmech
11-06-2013, 12:37 PM
Stars are easy. Just pull the plug on the base and turn the pressure handle down till all the lube comes out the hole. You will have a small amount left in the reservoir that if you wish you can scrape out with a long screw driver or similar tool. If you want to get anal about it remove your die and wipe it off and leave it out. Insert new lube and start cranking the pressure handle till new lube comes out of plug hole. Insert plug, operate handle a few times till new lube comes into die cavity. Replace die and you're good to go. I did this when changing and testing various lubes from the "Ultimate" and "Simple" lube threads and it only takes 15-20 minutes for a complete change. Or just pull the plug, empty the reservoir, put new lube in and have mixed lube on about 50-60 bullets, not really a big deal.

randy_68
11-06-2013, 12:38 PM
I just received an old Lyman 45 and it had a lot of lube on top of the piston so I had to dig it out. I couldn't hardly get the piston to move up because the lube was pretty hard. It looked like beeswax and alox but it was pretty stiff. There was a die in it and it was tough to get out also. I guess I should have heated it up with a hair drier or something to make it easier. I will be putting Bens Red thru it now.

fecmech
11-07-2013, 03:19 PM
There was a die in it and it was tough to get out also. I guess I should have heated it up with a hair drier or something to make it easier.

Heat is your friend when dealing with lube sizers. When I want to change dies I use a propane torch to quickly warm that area of the sizer and the dies are easily changed. I'm not talking real hot, maybe 100-110 degrees, just enough to make the dies move easily. Doesn't hurt the finish on the Lymans a bit.

Walter Laich
11-07-2013, 04:48 PM
tchepone
I still just add a new stick to my Lyman and continue lubing. Sorta like the bi-colored lube when I get that far down. Been doing this for over 10 years.
walt

Dale53
11-07-2013, 05:36 PM
I have no quarrel with any of the above suggestions. However, I prefer to remove lube when changing. I use a heat gun, set the luber in a throw-away aluminum pan, and heat up until the lube flows out. I suggest you don't overheat the sizer (you don't need to set it on fire:roll:) just hot enough to melt the lube. I like the control with a heat gun. It only takes a few minutes. If you want to save the lube, you can this way. If not, pitch the whole thing (if you are going to pitch it, you might want to use a cardboard box instead of the aluminum pan and just chuck it in the garbage).

FWIW
Dale53

tchepone
11-08-2013, 10:22 AM
Thank you gentlemen. I appreciate the advice and suggestions. Apparently this process isn't as difficult or important as some past posts have lead me to believe.
Dale53, the heat gun and aluminum pan sounds like it would work the best for me and will give it a try. I'm to frugal not to save and reuse what melts out of the lube tube. I'll have a go at it with my Star.
Walter Laich: I like your method and will do my Lyman that way. It seemed to work fine for me once in the past by accident.

Here's hoping the TAC-1 from Randy Rat works as well as Thompson & Rooster have for me in the past.
Thanks again for your suggestions and advice. That is the nice thing about this forum, many hands willing to help out!! Gil

Gelandangan
11-11-2013, 09:56 PM
When SWMBO is not looking, I swiped her hair dryer for this purpose.
Works just as good.