PDA

View Full Version : Help and info on .30-30 single shot Rifle for silhouette

rattletrap1970
11-05-2013, 11:05 PM
Hello all,

Lately I have been casting and working up loads that work well in my Dad's Marlin 336. This was one of the two first guns I ever shot at 7 years old. The other was a crack shot 26 .22.

Lately, I've been thinking of finding, buying or building a single shot octagon barrel rifle for cast boolit silhouette shoots. There is just something about a single shot rifle that I find relaxing. And to chamber it in the first centerfire round I ever fired seems fitting. I was wondering if anyone might know of a rifle with a double set trigger, 26" octagon barrel with vernier tang sights that could make good use of a .30-30 with cast boolits. I think the ole man would really have enjoyed silhouette shooting and I wish we could have done that.

Any help is would be most appreciated.

Kraschenbirn
11-06-2013, 12:10 AM
I don't believe there's a double set trigger option available but Pedersoli offers their Rolling Block Sporting model (28" octagon barrel - 1/12 twist) in .30-30. Also, Uberti at one time, offered their 1885 Highwall in .30-30 but I don't recall the barrel length/twist and that model isn't listed in their current catalogue. Otherwise, I suspect you may be looking at rebarreling something like a Ruger #1 or a Wycliff to .30-30. I've often considered building a similar rifle to what you've described but in .30-40 Krag.

Bill

4060MAY
11-06-2013, 10:35 AM
Depends on how much you want to spend
CSharps Arms will build a Hiwall with SST for a price
CPA will build a 44 1/2 Stevens with DST for a price
Falling Block Works has actions, no set triggers but very good single triggers, of course you or a gunsmith will have to build your self

The Uberti/Cimmarn 30-30 is functional, but can be a pig in a poke for the barrel...also a good starting point if you can find one reasonable

I shoot Cast Bullet Silhouette with a No.3 Ruger in 30-40 Krag...the trigger sucks and the gun kicks..but is competitive

You could go first class with a Hepburn by DZ arms or Csharps

Doc Highwall
11-06-2013, 10:40 AM
Lipsies (spelling) made some Ruger No1's in 30-30.

badgeredd
11-06-2013, 11:32 AM
I agree that the Uberti rifles can be a pig in a poke kind of deal. That being said, if I were going to build a rifle as you described, I'd get a Uberti and plan on re-barreling it with MY choice of barrels with the chamber and twist I wanted. I suspect a guy could have a darn nice custom rifle at a reasonable price. No doubt another company would build it for you, but I question whether you'd ever recoup your investment regardless of builder because it would be a "custom" chambering. The double set trigger option will significantly limit your options other than a completely custom rifle.

I have a 1889 Swiss that was re-chambered to 30-30 years ago, likely by the importer, that has be a real joy to shoot and load for. It has a very reasonable trigger and the barrel and chamber are tight and smooth. It shoots better than I do.

Edd

frkelly74
11-06-2013, 11:42 AM
There are also the Handi rifles that can be had reasonably. And there are savage 30-30 singles floating around, slightly more elegant than the handi's perhaps. No set triggers though. May be an encore would be a little more upscale. You can spend as much as you want but not necessarily as little as you want.

Baja_Traveler
11-06-2013, 11:51 AM
If you have the coin, one cool thing about the CPA's is that you would have the ability to switch barrels if in the future you decided on a different cartridge choice...

rattletrap1970
11-06-2013, 03:38 PM
Thanks a lot for the info. Right now I'm a novice silhouette shooter, I was looking at the Uberti High Wall Rifle with extra thrown in for Midrange Vernier Tang Sight, Globe front sight and Double set trigger. Shooters Choice can do that for $1495.. Unless there is a less expensive way. I know this isn't a top of the line custom gun, but, It seems like its enough to have some fun with.

Gunlaker
11-06-2013, 03:41 PM
Probably the closest thing you'll find without having someone build you a custom rifle is a C. Sharps 1885 in .30-30 with a single set trigger. I have a couple of these and they are nice rifles. Are you thinking of BPCR silhouette by any chance? If so you might want to look at something like a .40-65 or .45-70.

If you definitely want a double set trigger you could call Wyoming Armory and they can build you a double set trigger highwall. Meacham Tool and Hardware also sells a double set trigger action.

Edit: For some reason I was thinking you wanted a highwall. If you like the CPA Stevens rifles that is also an excellent choice. There are also Sharps rifles by Pedersoli, C. Sharps, and Shiloh that might fit the bill.

Chris.

KLNC
11-07-2013, 02:14 PM
Browning (Miroku) made a limited number of 1885s in 30-30, with 28" Octagon barrels and Marbles tang sights. Not easy to find, but might be what you need. They are very nice.

rattletrap1970
11-07-2013, 03:26 PM
I kinda like the High Wall. A rifle to me had to have at least some Aesthetic appeal. There is just something about a High Wall that when I think of a single shot rifle in my head, that is what I see. Kinda like a Harley, I see mine, a 1978 FXS. I've held a High Wall before and they just feel "right" to me.

Doc Highwall
11-07-2013, 06:22 PM
I have the Browning in 30-30 and was lucky to find it used.