PDA

View Full Version : Rowell Ladels

MGySgt
08-25-2005, 08:30 PM
I just received my first Rowell bottom pour ladel, I think I bought one just a tad too large, the 2 pounder. Anticipating the 434-250 I am buying from Willbird. But it sure does pour some lead.

I use a ladel like most bottom pour, leave space between the spout and sprue hole. The RCBS ladels work fine to a point, my 430gr 45 DC sure empties the RCBS this way in a hurry, not this big Rowell.

Of course I don't fill it more then about a 1/3 to half full. And it sure does cut down on the fluxing as the spout doesn't get cloged with the trash on top of the melt!

Any one else using the Rowell ladels for casting?????

Drew

Lee W
08-25-2005, 08:55 PM
Yep, I also have the 2lb'er and I am glad. I use mine for 325grn 45's and ingot molds.
I started casting with the Rowell and a 2 cavity 45 tcbb 230grn. Now I use a bottom pour for the small boolits.

Rrusse11
08-25-2005, 11:42 PM
Sgt,
Best thing since sliced bread! Got no use whatsoever for bottom pour pots. Try some granulated charcoal on top of mix and say goodbye to any kinda' fluxing.
Cheers,
R*2

Slowpoke
08-26-2005, 12:02 PM
I just received my first Rowell bottom pour ladel, I think I bought one just a tad too large, the 2 pounder. Anticipating the 434-250 I am buying from Willbird. But it sure does pour some lead.

I use a ladel like most bottom pour, leave space between the spout and sprue hole. The RCBS ladels work fine to a point, my 430gr 45 DC sure empties the RCBS this way in a hurry, not this big Rowell.

Of course I don't fill it more then about a 1/3 to half full. And it sure does cut down on the fluxing as the spout doesn't get cloged with the trash on top of the melt!

Any one else using the Rowell ladels for casting?????

Drew

I started using a # 1 Rowell in the late 80's, I never could beat the dirty bullet syndrome to my satisfaction with a bottom pour pot. Its a rare occurrence with the Rowell.
Good luck

Bret4207
08-26-2005, 07:54 PM
Top- I use a 1 lb Rowel for my big 6 bangers and 10 cav H+G. Semper Fi

MGySgt
08-26-2005, 08:34 PM
No negitives - and lots of positives.

While I like the 2 pounder - I think I will order the #1. That 2 pounder takes up a lot of space inside the mouth of my Lyman MAG dipper and I don't think it would work near as well in a Lee. (I use a lee to premelt my allow and then transfer to the Lyman to cast from.

Thanks for the replies!

Drew

alamogunr
08-27-2005, 12:39 AM
I've got a #1 and a #2 and a #5 that I use when cleaning up WW and other scrap. I need to shorten the handle on the #2. Gets a little tiring. That #5 requires that you pay attention. It is heavy when full. Sure does make things go fast when you have several ingot molds to fill.
John

HTRN
08-29-2005, 12:28 AM
As you can see, I have a BIG Rowell for pouring ingots. Anybody know what size it is? It seems to hold about five lbs of lead.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v516/HTRN/Pouringlead.jpg

<EDIT> Just did some quick Googlefu and have surmised that it's a #4. I think perhaps a #5 is in order - they hold 9lbs of lead at a shot.

HTRN

Wayne Smith
08-29-2005, 09:31 AM
Thanks for reminding me. I intended to order one when CarMovers was posted, but, typically, I forgot. Just did it.