PDA

View Full Version : Help me decide

Thumbcocker
11-05-2013, 09:59 PM
I sent a cursed .45 Bisley convertible to Ruger to be checked out. This gun has ruined me on the .45 Colt cartridge and cost me some cash. Ruger is offering me a new revolver at a discount. I am thinking about a 4" Redhawk but have heard they may not shoot as well in .44 as a SBH. I respect the Super Redhawk but it is just more gun than I want to carry around.

Anyone have any experience with current production Redhawks as far as accuracy. I am open to other possibilities but I am done with the .45 Colt cartridge. I am good on .44 specials and .357's.

Thanks.

waco
11-05-2013, 10:10 PM
Bummer man. Sorry to hear it......I can't help ya on this one though.......

22 rifle
11-06-2013, 10:33 PM
got the redhawk in 44 mag and 45 colt.both capable of nice groups with lead boolits as they have deep rifiling that seems to work well with lead.

paul h
11-06-2013, 11:00 PM
Unfortunately Ruger seems to let the occasional turkey out of the farm. Sorry to hear about your convertable, hopefully it's an isolated incident as I just picked one up today.

Believe it or not, the Super Redhawk is lighther than the Redhawk for the same length of barrel. It's because the SRH uses a stub into the grip vs. the full frame grip on the redhawk. If accuracy is what you are after, you'd be hard pressed to beat the SRH as it is a very accurate gun. The only downside is other than the Toklat, they only offer it in 7 1/2" and 9 1/2" length.

Silver Jack Hammer
11-06-2013, 11:14 PM
Colt affectionato here. My most accurate .45 Colt six gun is an off the shelf run of the mill Blackhawk blued 4 3/4". But the horses get out of the stable for a run 10 times for every one time I take a Ruger out. Have Rugers, have had to send them back, when I get them back they always run. Rugers are just not Colt's to me.

My issue with the Redhawk is like the N frame, just too big when the single action is so much more comfortable. I did have a Super Redhawk in .44 Mag that shot very well for the money.

Why not just stick with the Ruger single action and work with them until they get it right. Checkering the stocks makes the Ruger much more responsive in the hand.

454PB
11-06-2013, 11:17 PM
I can't help with "current production", but my early production Redhawk is a great gun, and every bit as accurate as my SBH was.

Sorry to hear that you're soured on .45 Colt, I love mine.....all six of them.

gmsharps
11-06-2013, 11:39 PM
I've had friends that have had the Redhawks and love them. They are tough, well built and will last forever.They are not for me though. I just do not like the look and feel of them but that is just me. As far as 45 Colt cartridge goes for me it works great. I have a bag full of them. Colt SAA, Rugers and S&W's. I also have a couple of 44 Spl's and they are fine also and several 357's but my to go to cartridge is the 45 Colt. I understand when you get soured on something it makes it tough to give it a fair shake. Enjoy your 44spl's and 357's but I bet eventually you will be back to the 45 Colt someday.

gmsharps

gray wolf
11-07-2013, 09:32 AM
My SRH replacement pistol from Ruger has been outstanding. Yes it's big, and a little heavy.

Thumbcocker
11-07-2013, 10:23 AM
The Redhawk production line is down till next year. We settled on a stainless 4 5/8 SBH with round trigger guard and unfluted cylinder. I have a blued one and it is a sweet heart.

bhn22
11-07-2013, 02:45 PM
Everybody seems to have quality issues right now. S&W & Ruger get the most attention because they make the most guns. Taurus makes fewer guns than either, and seems to get the most complaints. Colt gets very little attention, because they make the fewest guns, and none of them are revolvers. Ruger probably sells over a hundred guns for every one you hear about that has an issue. S&W is the same way, and both companies seem to have issues in the same areas. You probably won't get a Redhawk anyway, because there don't seem to be any, unless there are a few squirrelled away for replacement issues.