PDA

View Full Version : Handles for every mold? and Mold storage?

Spawn-Inc
11-05-2013, 07:20 PM
Just curious if everyone keeps/has handles on/for all their molds or only have a few handles on their most used molds?

as well what kind of storage they use (long term AND short term)

codgerville@zianet.com
11-05-2013, 07:43 PM
Just curious if everyone keeps/has handles on/for all their molds or only have a few handles on their most used molds?

as well what kind of storage they use (long term AND short term)
Have handles for all molds, store them in 50 cal. ammo cans.

fredj338
11-05-2013, 07:47 PM
I have too many molds for handles for each. So I swap, but for my Lee molds. They do NOT like to be swapped, screw holes strip too easily. Mine are stored in a drawer in the garage w/ rechargeable desic pack.

WILDEBILL308
11-05-2013, 09:54 PM
I don't have handles for everything but I have them on several that are used the most. I would be ok as long as I had enough handles to run a couple of molds at the same time. Some have handles because they had them on when I bought them.
Bill

paul h
11-05-2013, 10:18 PM
I find a pair of RCBS handles and a lee 6 cavity handle suits me fine for the dozen odd molds I use. I store them in a drawer in a rollaway toolchest. When I consider handles for every mold, I consider that would pay for another mold or two and take up more space to store them. I've never had an issue with stripping screws in a mold.

Spawn-Inc
11-05-2013, 10:27 PM
I find a pair of RCBS handles and a lee 6 cavity handle suits me fine for the dozen odd molds I use. I store them in a drawer in a rollaway toolchest. When I consider handles for every mold, I consider that would pay for another mold or two and take up more space to store them. I've never had an issue with stripping screws in a mold.

haha, never even thought of that! luckily i've bought enough pairs of lee handles that i could stop buying them, which is why i asked in the first place.

i'm just starting my collection of molds (6 noe/mihec molds, 1 6cav lee, and the rest are 2 cav lee's(8)) and started to think about it.

btroj
11-05-2013, 10:35 PM
Way more moulds than handles.

spfd1903
11-05-2013, 11:25 PM
I have the same thought as paul h. I would rather use my money to buy another mold than have a handle for each one. To store the steel molds, I wrap a layer of corrosion inhibiting paper around them and seal them in a large zip-loc type bag.

Garyshome
11-05-2013, 11:28 PM
Way more molds than handles. Me too! The only molds that need handles are the ones in my hand at the time of casting.

Love Life
11-05-2013, 11:34 PM
Not just no, but HECK NO!!

Mould handles are expensive. Screwdrivers and allen wrenches are cheap.

SODAPOPMG
11-06-2013, 01:30 PM
Never found the need for a lot of handles, it only takes a minute to change them but did collect extras along the way, for storage i just put the iron molds in a ziploc bag spray spray with some oil and put up on the shelf never had any rust

cbrick
11-06-2013, 03:17 PM
I have more mold handles than any sensible person should have, dunno why other than over the years they just seem to show up.

As to the storage question, this is my method.

Rust Free Mold Storage on the cheap (http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?115858-Rust-Free-Mold-Storage-on-the-cheap&highlight=mold+storage+cheap)

Rick

paul h
11-06-2013, 06:12 PM
I wouldn't mind having a few more handles, I just find that I'm able to make do with what I have. I do have a few more sets of handles on various molds, and forgot I also have a pair of lyman handles. But as most of my molds are for RCBS handles the pair of handles seems to suit me well as with the larger molds I can cast two molds at a time due to cooling times, and find that a lee six cavity mold casts well enough on its own.

shooter93
11-06-2013, 07:04 PM
Handles on all molds and my storage....works for me

Spawn-Inc
11-06-2013, 08:15 PM
Handles on all molds and my storage....works for me

sexy! what are the dimensions? looks to be 24" wide by 30" tall? (guessing 3" wide slots)

WallyM3
11-06-2013, 08:38 PM
Suuuh...weet! That is one fine looking piece of furniture!

shooter93
11-07-2013, 06:49 PM
Well...it's 42 inches wide, 45 inches high and 16-3/4 inches deep. The slots run about 4-3/4 wide. The reason for those dimensions?...I'm a Cabinetmaker. This was made with left over plywood, veeners and solid stock from a couple of kitchen renovations. The slots will hold my longest 4 cvity molds with handles attached. The small cabinet on top is drilled to hold sizer dies. No reason it has to be that size except it used the material I had very efficentially.

cbrick
11-07-2013, 06:57 PM
Shooter I'm green with envy, it is beautiful. Wish I had the training and proper tooling to build like that. A place to put and use all those tools would also be nice.

Great job.

Rick

Boolseye
11-08-2013, 05:10 PM
just remember to oil your steel/iron molds before storage, or you'll be in for a time-consuming surprise when you pull out that Lyman for a session one day.

I second the kudos on those boxes. Purty.

94Doug
11-08-2013, 10:00 PM
I'd have over 2 grand in handles.

Doug

engineer401
11-10-2013, 11:59 AM
I have handles for all the molds and store them on a shelf.

JonB_in_Glencoe
11-10-2013, 12:13 PM
I have more mold handles than any sensible person should have, dunno why other than over the years they just seem to show up.

As to the storage question, this is my method.

Rust Free Mold Storage on the cheap (http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?115858-Rust-Free-Mold-Storage-on-the-cheap&highlight=mold+storage+cheap)

Rick

My post #65 on Rick's thread (link above) is how I store my Iron and brass molds...sadly that particular container is no longer available from Lock N Lock.
I store my Lee and RD molds in the original Lee packaging.

cbrick
11-10-2013, 02:49 PM
Did you look for the "SnapWare" brand? Plus I'm sure there are others that make them, shouldn't matter a lick the brand name as long as they are air/water tight.

Rick

Chuck_ls
12-12-2013, 10:45 PM
With a variety of different brands of molds, I try to have at least two handles of each type, like big and small Lyman, RCBS, etc. That way I can have any two molds casting at once for production.
Chuck

ohland
12-15-2013, 06:28 PM
I have a few MTM AC30 Ammo Storage Cans. While there is a certain manly-man charm to the 7.62mm and 50 cal metal ammo cans, they are heavy. Add enough molds, and it gets worse. The MTM AC30 has enough room for twenty or so single and dual cavity molds. Not that it has anything to do with choosing the smaller size, BUT an AC30 with one layer of molds is light enough to lift out of a shelf with one hand. I just cover the bottom with VCI paper (off of ebuy) and there has been no issue with rust, even after some high humidity.

http://www.mtmcase-gard.com/products/shooting/ammo-storage.php

Except for molds with handles that are difficult to remove (like Modern-Bond) I unship the handles so everything that can't be allowed to get rusty (like a mold!) is in a sealed case with VCI paper.

:coffeecom

Boolseye
12-16-2013, 11:10 PM
I wish! I probably have 5 more molds than handles, so I'm close.

frankenfab
12-17-2013, 12:22 AM
Whenever I order from Midway and need to add a few extra dollars to avoid the small order charge, or qualify for a discount code, I order another set of Lee six cavity handles. It's just one of my quirks.

labradigger1
12-18-2013, 11:51 PM
Handles for every mold. Pisses me off to change handles when i am ready to cast.
As for storage, i spray w/ wd-40 and set on a shelf above baseboard heater. When i use them i spray w/ non chlorinated brake kleen and when dry i spray again w/ starting fluid. Ready to cast.

smoked turkey
12-19-2013, 01:13 AM
I like my molds in their mold boxes with a label as to what mold it is, what it drops at weight and size wise. It also would be nice to list the top punch that is needed for that particular mold, but I don't do that. I store my molds on the top shelf in my safe that has a golden rod for humidity control. I only have a few mold handles and prefer to put them on as needed. I do like to wrap each mold with VCI paper but I don't have it on all as of yet.

Miller
12-19-2013, 01:29 AM
No molds just yet but I'll most likely go the lazy man route and get handles for every mold as I get new molds.

CGT80
12-24-2013, 08:59 PM
I have handles for most of my small collection. I need another RCBS handle set, but they are expensive. I wonder if lee 6 banger handles could be adapted. I had a 50cal ammo can, but now use a 40mm can, as it is long enough for my NOE and MP molds with the handles attached. I use a desiccant tin as well. I need to get some of the paper to keep the molds from rubbing/resting on each other.

MT Gianni
12-24-2013, 11:05 PM
Blessed to live where my moulds would rust if I left them outside under a sprinkler. Inside even in an unheated shop they are fine.